Protecting Piano Gloss (Lacquer) finishes?

I've been looking at ways to best clean/protect the piano gloss finish on my C1 Signatures as I'd like to keep them scratch free and glossy for many years to come. They are finished in a wood veneer with high gloss lacquer.

After reading through many online posts, I'm getting mixed feedback on this topic. Some have recommended Turtle Wax Ice Liquid or Meguiars Next Tech, some furniture polish and others have suggested not using any products at all. I did ask a piano vendor and they just suggested furniture polish, however I'm reluctant to use abrasive polishes as this will wear down the lacquer over time.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

The cloth you use will be as important as the product you use on the gloss finish

I suggest you use a good quality microfiber cloth to minimize any scratches as well.

I'm a big fan of Mr Sheen works very well on good surfaces

If you get a bit of fine spider scratches over time, hi tech car non abrasive polish such as NextTec or Nufinish will get rid of them

Not too keen on trying Mr. Sheen but a quality auto wax my be the way to go.

Willco, that swissvax product looks like top quality stuff, may be appropriate if I head down the auto wax path. My speakers are lacquer coated stained veneer so not sure if that's a different compound to the piano black finish.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Edited by sdave

My Rockports have a piano black gloss finish, I just give them a light dust daily with a pure wool duster, the only other cleaning required is after visitors (for some reason even some audiophiles can't resist the need touch the nice glossy surface :(   To clean fingerprints I use a damp/wet microfibre cloth with a touch of dishwashing liquid, clean the detergent off with another damp micro cloth then dry with yet another micro cloth (ocd I know).  As someone said earlier just make sure you use good quality clean cloths and also I only apply very light pressure with the cloth.

• Like 2

The best way to avoid scratching is extremely light wiping using a really high grade microfibre cloth. In addition to this coming from someone who has spent in excess of $300 on single pots of wax for my car. I would use either meguires Ultimate Liquid wax or if you want to lash out have a look at dodo juice and sviss wax.

• Like 2

+1 on Plexus.

Also great for bike screens, any white goods, microwaves, anything poweder coated etc.

Just watch the overspray on any hard floor surfaces. Slippery as all boogery.

Wouldn't recommend picking your snoz after an application....could poke yourself in the eye. Mr Sheen is another that I agree with too.

• Like 1

Install a guillotine triggered by laser sensors around the speaker - works every time. Blood stains can be cleaned by micro-fibre cloth easily. They are not even visible on gloss rose wood finishes. :cool: 

Guillotine build in progress.. Next challenge will be preventing blood spatter from hitting those sweet soft domes.

My Rockports have a piano black gloss finish, I just give them a light dust daily with a pure wool duster, the only other cleaning required is after visitors (for some reason even some audiophiles can't resist the need touch the nice glossy surface :(   .

I know what you mean, however, mine often feel the need to pull the grill off and check out the woofers... normally after being blown away by the bass outputs of the stand-mounters and accusing me of hiding a sub in the corner.

Looks like good quality auto wax/Plexus are winners. I'll check out these products and try it out next week. Thanks for all the feedback!

I do not understand why you would want to use a automotive produce on a piece of furniture that is inside, it is not subject to a harsh environment that car are subjected to, I use Mr sheen on my Aurum Cantus grand supremes with no issues, just use the best micro quality fibre cloth, the finish on my speakers are the best I have ever seen and look fantastic just using Mr Sheen.

post-138507-0-65252800-1416386931_thumb.

• Like 1

I do not understand why you would want to use a automotive produce on a piece of furniture that is inside, it is not subject to a harsh environment that car are subjected to, I use Mr sheen on my Aurum Cantus grand supremes with no issues, just use the best micro quality fibre cloth, the finish on my speakers are the best I have ever seen and look fantastic just using Mr Sheen.

Quite often, the piano black finishes are very similar to the auto clear coat top layers and an absolute ton of R&D gets poured into clear coat cleaning, polishing, protection and so on so there are some amazing products for either enhancing piano black or clear coat shine or protecting even from domestic elements which can still include UV exposure as well as dust and oily fingerprints. It's not as crazy as it sounds to use some of these products (non abrasive only) to treat such finishes on speakers.

I personally use Dodo Juice Red Mist which I had on hand for my car - a little goes a very long way, the finish is superb and dust just doesn't cling to it. One application every other month and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said it sounds a waste of money to use an automotive polish on a speaker which lives inside your house, it is not the polish but the cloth that does the damage. as you can see by my photo I have no problems using Mr sheen.

As I said it sounds a waste of money to use an automotive polish on a speaker which lives inside your house, it is not the polish but the cloth that does the damage. as you can see by my photo I have no problems using Mr sheen.

At less than $2 per year I think I'll survive [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I agree with Hensa. I've used a few different automotive polishes on piano black speakers as they actually enhance and deepen the lustre. I've got a bunch of Meguiars 'Tech Wax' sample satchels which do a superb job. In my experience, Mr Sheen did a very good job when I tried it, but not as good as an automotive polish.

Some of the automotive spray polishes/waxes are also excellent - I've used a Meguiars product here too.

I have speakers  with 8 coats of piano gloss.

Both the cabinetmaker and a close friend who was a piano tuner/repairer both said not to use  any waxy or greasy product.

They both recommended a good glass cleaner(I use Windex) with a soft cloth, the speakers look just as good as when they were new 15 years ago.

I have always used glass cleaner on any gloss surface since that original advice. 

I use a product called Glass Plexin to protect Hi Gloss surfaces and other HiFi components

It will last about 7 years

The reason for a coating is that

1) It protects what's underneath and it takes the punishment or light damage leaving the main surface unharmed

2) It's easier to replace or top up polish than a new paint job

3) A polish is a great water or liquid barrier for those WTF moments

The important thing is to

1) Use good cloths eg thick pile microfibre ( One to remove the dried polish and another couple to do a final polish shine )

2) Don't polish in circles or you will see swirls

3) Don't rub in dust - it can scratch to buggary. Dust off with a feather duster then buff on a clean surface

4) Prepare the surface prior to any application of polish as the polish may magnify imperfections underneath

Remember to take your time and do one section at a time

When finished it should be so good as to be a black mirror shine you can see your face on

• Like 2