Sign in to follow this  
Bronal

Calling all tea drinkers!

I like a good cup of coffee as much as most people (well not as much as some of you!) but I have to confess that I am an inveterate and habitual tea drinker, consuming up to six or seven cups of strong black tea a day.

Are there any more tea snobs out there, and what do you drink? My tea ordinaire is Taylor's Yorkshire tea (available from DJs) but I also like Assam and Broken Orange Pekoe.

I use a coffee plunger, not a teapot, as it enables me to brew the tea and then lower the plunger, avoiding the nasty bitter taste of over-mashed tea.

What do others do?

More into the Asian loose teas (Thai, Chinese, Japanese etc) myself. We do the whole, throw first brew out then 20/30 (?) second brew + 5 seconds for each additional re-brew in a cast iron Japanese teapot and small handle less cup bit. Love trying the myriad of teas available in the green tea and rolled flower range.

Have been shown the Thai and Chinese (in Singas) way of making tea. Makes a big difference in the taste. Can’t say that I’ve got all the technique right. There is an art to it.

Unfortunately, I can’t handle coffee as it doesn’t agree with me. I do lament that every time I smell a fresh brew. That aroma! :D

NFA

Hello bronal i am just having a cup of tea at the moment and it is a herbal one , i like my rosehip and hibiscus i just might have another one

Oh MAATE!!! you can't beat a good Cuppa. We (Georgina and I) only drink pot tea and it's NERADA Tea for us after years of trying all the usual Aussie teas.

We will start the day with at least 2-3 cups before breakfast, then a pot after lunch. An afternoon pot with a nice bit of cake or a bickie then a pot after dinner.

We have tried all the poshy teas but still prefer Nerada fine Leaf packet tea.

Do you remember tha Walkabout Hotel in Crocadile Dundee? I've had a billy tea out the front of that place while waiting for the landlord to wake up and give us directions to a crashed plane that we were there to gather. Horrible place full of flies and yes we swallowed a few with the billy tea.:D

Oh aye, I do luv a good cuppa :D and my standard is the Taylor's Yorkshire Gold. Mine is brewed in a Bredemeijer Cosy Manto teapot. For a bit of variety I sometimes add about a third of Lapsang Suchong to the Taylors.

ShowImage2.aspx?classid=43&objectid=1581209&name=LargeImage&variant=0

I also dabble in Japanese green tea (I like the one with the rice bubbles in it) and Chinese teas...

cheers

2sheds

I hear ya Bronal. I love coffee, but I can only have 1 a day. So its lucky that I love tea as well. :D Just finished a nice hot cuppa Lapsong Souchong (Chinese for smoked monkey dung). :o

As far as good loose leaf, how many people here actually drink Aussie tea? Im talking about tea thats been grown in Australia, nnot China/Ceylon/India or wherever.

We looked long and hard int he supermaket and there is not much to choose from. BUT then we found Daintree Tea!

[ATTACH]2806[/ATTACH]

Good Qld tea, an all Aussie product. :) Best served from a teapot of course.

This is agood Ausie Tea

Im not a expert I probably have up to 6 cups of tea a day, I usualy buy Madura tea, Earl Grey or Premium Blend leaf Tea, I occasionaly stray from these 2.

And after drinking the hospital teas supplied at work it is most welcome.

http://www.maduratea.com.au/

Im a tea lover as well as a coffee lover, my parents are poms so it comes with the territory:D

i limit myself to 2 strong coffees a day, and usually around 3-4 cups a tea, would not say that im as fussy with tea as i am with coffee but thats probably because im not sure ive ever tasted a real good one:rolleyes: ignorance is bliss

Cheers GG

I use a coffee plunger, not a teapot, as it enables me to brew the tea and then lower the plunger, avoiding the nasty bitter taste of over-mashed tea.

What do others do?

Hi bronal

They had an expert tea merchant on Can We Help? tonite, taliking about the differences between green, black and white tea (which is made from buds & costs up to $1000 per kilo apparently). but he made the comment never to use coffee plungers, because they bruise the leaves, and release excess tannins.

Cheers

Mick

Well as you know Alan, I'm quite partial to the coffee. However, I'm quite partial to Himalayaen Darjeeling and many green teas (I'm getting into Jasmine at the moment).

Well as you know Alan, I'm quite partial to the coffee. However, I'm quite partial to Himalayaen Darjeeling and many green teas (I'm getting into Jasmine at the moment).

Thats tea, right?

:D

Always light the fire out back by the shed in the morning and boil the billy can with a few spoons of bushells - best start to the day you can have

Dilmah leaf tea a good Ceylon brew.

Cheers, NT3

The missus has informed me that we too use to drink Madura, (dementia again:confused:) but it became too expensive for us because we do have a lot of Tea drinking visitors. The Nerada we now drink also comes from Queensland.

More into the Asian loose teas (Thai, Chinese, Japanese etc) myself. We do the whole, throw first brew out then 20/30 (?) second brew + 5 seconds for each additional re-brew in a cast iron Japanese teapot and small handle less cup bit. Love trying the myriad of teas available in the green tea and rolled flower range.

Have been shown the Thai and Chinese (in Singas) way of making tea. Makes a big difference in the taste. Can’t say that I’ve got all the technique right. There is an art to it.

Unfortunately, I can’t handle coffee as it doesn’t agree with me. I do lament that every time I smell a fresh brew. That aroma! :)

NFA

Our standard tipple is Jasmine tea, the small pearl variety. I also like Oolong ginseng and the Rosebud teas for variety. Put some tea in a metal sieve (preferably one about 4 cm deep ), pour a little boiling water over to clean and open the tea (into the sink) then place sieve into cup and fill with water. About 20 seconds later tea is ready. Retain tea in sieve, can be used for about 5 cups, however discard after about 12 hours if not already fully used.

These days I drink about 2 coffees a day and at least 5 cups of tea.

As a total break-out, Lapsang Souchong with fresh lemon, 2 flat spoons of sugar and a generous swig of Chivas hits the spot. :D

Our standard tipple is Jasmine tea, the small pearl variety. I also like Oolong ginseng and the Rosebud teas for variety. Put some tea in a metal sieve (preferably one about 4 cm deep ), pour a little boiling water over to clean and open the tea (into the sink) then place sieve into cup and fill with water. About 20 seconds later tea is ready. Retain tea in sieve, can be used for about 5 cups, however discard after about 12 hours if not already fully used.

;)

That sounds about right mustud.

The other thing I forgot was the tea guru's also have the water temp about 70-80 deg so the tea leaves are not scorched when brewing.

All goes into the bringing out the subtle flavours in each tea variety.

I won't repeat what the tea merchants in Asia say about tea in tea bags - something about floors and factories:eek:.

NFA

Now where did I hold that bottle of Chivas?

Have spent a pleasant time in one of my favorite tea houses not far from my hotel. Mrs Mustud not with me this time so could indulge in some sensuous tea evaluation (she likes to stick to her favourite). After some cleansing jasmine tea - a little more delicate than my staple jasmine pearl, I settled down to some serious pu er tea tasting.

After quite a few vintages I confirmed what I already knew, I prefer the pre fermented variety for its more strong flavour and after taste, and reaffirmed my friendship with the 1999. Yes indeedy, there are some wonderful taste sensations that many of us in the West are insulated from. A delightful addition to please the palate.

Just remember, as I have previously mentioned, like many adult drinks this can be an acquired taste.

And these teas are generally benign and non-toxic, compared to just about every other adult drink that I enjoy.

Enjoy. ;)

Have spent a pleasant time in one of my favorite tea houses not far from my hotel. Mrs Mustud not with me this time so could indulge in some sensuous tea evaluation (she likes to stick to her favourite). After some cleansing jasmine tea - a little more delicate than my staple jasmine pearl, I settled down to some serious pu er tea tasting.

After quite a few vintages I confirmed what I already knew, I prefer the pre fermented variety for its more strong flavour and after taste, and reaffirmed my friendship with the 1999. Yes indeedy, there are some wonderful taste sensations that many of us in the West are insulated from. A delightful addition to please the palate.

Enjoy. ;)

Mustud

You absolutely sure you're talkin' 'bout tea?

Mustud

You absolutely sure you're talkin' 'bout tea?

Shhh...

Last trip a few weeks ago I introduced Mrs Mustud to my favourite 5 star hotel in Nanjing, the Jinling. She now knows about the German microbrewery in the basement, but she now also knows about that other place down there as well...

Good thing I ring home each night to talk about the day's events.

Shhh...

Last trip a few weeks ago I introduced Mrs Mustud to my favourite 5 star hotel in Nanjing, the Jinling. She now knows about the German microbrewery in the basement, but she now also knows about that other place down there as well...

Good thing I ring home each night to talk about the day's events.

German Micro brewing?

I thought it was a euphemism for poorly endowed Euro gents ;)

Or is that the other place?

German Micro brewing?

I thought it was a euphemism for poorly endowed Euro gents ;)

Or is that the other place?

Funny thing. Some of the best German beer I have had has been (and made) in China. A bit of a historical hangover. Hmmm...where did that word pop up from?

And I have drunk a fair bit of it in Germany as well!

German gents? A heck of a lot of them in China these days. As well as some spectacular German female professionals as well. And I don't mean "those" sort of professionals either, so put your preconceptions back in your pocket.

Funny thing. Some of the best German beer I have had has been (and made) in China. A bit of a historical hangover. Hmmm...where did that word pop up from?

And I have drunk a fair bit of it in Germany as well!

German gents? A heck of a lot of them in China these days. As well as some spectacular German female professionals as well. And I don't mean "those" sort of professionals either, so put your preconceptions back in your pocket.

Uhhhh, this is a beer thread....?:rolleyes:

cheers

2sheds

Uhhhh, this is a beer thread....?:rolleyes:

cheers

2sheds

Good point Pinkman. I should have posted in the coffe thread. Please forgive me. :D

Good point Pinkman. I should have posted in the coffe thread. Please forgive me. :D

Im sure that the love of beer is bigger than this slight misdemeanour Mustud.

:rolleyes: