Sign in to follow this  
legselevens

A question for the tech savvy re batteries

Hi,

I have a little Pure One Mi digital radio I was gifted and it can use a particular rechargeable battery sold separately of course for a kings ransom. If anybody can suggest how to diy one myself I would greatly appreciate it. The battery gets charged in the radio when connected to power.

Cheers,

L11

Some details...

http://www.pure.com/au/product/one-mi-vl-61410/#Specifications

and the battery...cased to fit onto tab/terminal in battery compartment of radio.

VL-61448.jpg
ChargePAK A1 Rechargeable battery pack

Add a ChargePAK A1 rechargeable battery pack and listen to your Pure radio wherever you go. ChargePAKs are much more economical than regular batteries and significantly kinder to the environment, reducing the quantity of batteries that end up in landfill sites.

ChargePAK A1 features include:

• Easy to install – can be fitted in seconds
  • Easy to use – just fit and forget
  • Charges inside the radio, no separate charging unit required
  • Increased battery life per charge over standard rechargeable batteries
  • Replaces the need for throwaway alkaline batteries
  • Provides up to 18 hours wireless listening

Specification: lithium-ion 3.7v 2100mAh.

You could wire up any lithium-ion 3.7v battery, but getting it to fit or connecting wiring to the radio could be a bit tricky.

The rb-a1-bp1 is the generic equivalent and might be a little cheaper.  http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/22367/rb-a1-bp1.html

By the time you buy a battery and some connectors, your probably not saving a great deal, then you may have to pull the radio apart to get to the right contact points and mount the battery some how externally.

If you already have AA or AAA you could also use three rechargeable AA or AAA in series for 3.6v which is close enough. I'd think the battery compartment has three prongs though but still may charge the ni-mh batteries connected just to the pos and neg!

The plug socket is only 5volts so you may find that four AA's work also for 4.8v...

Thanks for the info. I'll keep the ready made option in mind.

5v of rechargeable battery into micro usb cable would work so that may be an option. I would think the charging is for Lion not NiMh so perhaps riisky. Actually I have a spare Galaxy s2 battery which is 3.7 I think. Do you think this could be rigged up to work?It looks like the radio needs to be disassembled to get to the contacts so ready made is back in the running. Damn those pesky designers at Pure.

I was considering a Pure until I saw the cost of one of those battery packs and then I thought "No Way, Jose"

Sangean have an option for standard or rechargeable batteries in the normal sizes.You just flick a switch in the battery compartment and they recharge in the radio. Makes far more sense.

The original battery is close to the cost of the radio.

I'd like digital radio you can pause etc but I imagine that feature needs mains power. Go with Sangean Holden. Pures silly battery is not worth it and my OneMi looks and feels like it came from Fat Harry's $2 shop.

I mainly suggested the AA's as most people have rechargeable batteries and a charger to suit. I was into RC racing years ago so have a Swallow charger which will charge just about anything except full size car batteries and up to 5amps output... They are also cheap!

Charging from that battery compartment will be done at 4.2volts so three AA batteries are perfect but 4 AA batteries will work but over time (1-2yrs) they won't hold enough charge due to the lack of maximum volts. I generally use the little alligator clip packs that you can get from Jaycar or any elec place which has wire only 6-10inches long with the small alligator clip either end to connect circuits with and the bonus is they are only temp unlike soldering.

Aligator clips are a good idea. I'll suss it out but I think I might go back to my old 60's Panasonic. Apart from 3RRR I listen mostly to am and the batteries last months. I like the sound too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By krakatana
      Item: RJM Audio VSPS Moving Magnet DIY Phono Stage
      Price: Withdrawn from sale
      Item Condition: Working perfectly, some scratches on cases
      Reason for selling: Now using MC
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Excellent sounding phono, used for six months, built about two years ago. The cases are thin Aluminium, but have brass or Titanium plates at connector points.

Materials used: RJM VSPS and Dual-Bridge Rectifier kits, Dueland wiring for signal paths, Arizona Blue Cactus 2.2uF 200VDC output capacitors (with bypass caps), Altronics transformer, Furutech Rhodium FI-03 IEC inlet with fuse, 2 x Aluminium cases, Stillpoint ERS tape around power cable (light blue) in phono case, Gold coated pure Copper RCA plugs, 2 cm slate pieces under circuit boards and transformer, brass (front) and Titanium plates (rear). Well over $200 of materials used.

http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html
      http://phonoclone.com/pcb.html
      http://phonoclone.com/diy-guide.html

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
      This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By daro
      Item: 2 x Toroidal Transformers 160VA 2x20V Audio Grade
      Price: SOLD
      Item Condition: Made in 2013 but never used, mint
      Reason for selling: Abandoned DIY project
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:
      I have for sale a pair of Toroidal Transformers. They are 160VA, 2 x 20V each. Made by Toroidy, great Polish manufacturer of high quality audio grade transformers. 
      Selling both matched transformers together, so the price is for the pair. They could be perfect for a dual-mono or two monoblock amplifiers. 
      I bought the transformers 6 years ago, for my DIY amp that I never finished. I did not even put those transformers in. Stored them packed in the box. So these are pretty much brand new.
      I did not have time to finish that project and do not need those two any more, so the sale. 

Some of the characteristics of the Audio Grade transformers by Toroidy:
      - additional magnetic and electrostatic screening
      - epoxy filled centre with M6 clearance hole in a potted centre for mounting
      - gum pads to eliminate transmission of vibrations
      - impregnated core and the windings
      - covered with a black Mylar tape
      - production process scrupulously controlled at every step
      - quiet performance and the highest electrical parameters
      - flex leads
      - GOSS band

On top of that, my order had a couple of custom modifications:
      - doubled diameter of secondary windings
      - primary winded on secondaries

Specs:
      Primary: 0-230V @ 50Hz 
      Secondaries: 20-0-20V
      Estimated dimensions:  105mm diameter x 50mm high (plus 10-20mm for leadouts) 
      Mounting: M6 clearance hole in a potted centre
      Leadouts: approx. 110mm long flexible (stranded)
      Weight: approx. 1.35kg each

I’m happy to post anywhere in Australia. Pickup available from Lindfield (2070).

Photos:

• By TomW
      For our October club meeting we are very pleased to have club member Bill Louey present his own highly modified home system including his DIY loudspeakers.  Bill last presented his system to the club back in April 2012 – much of it has now changed and improved.

Details of Bill’s system (details below were written by Bill)…

Loudspeakers
      These are 3 way open baffle loudspeakers using dynamic drivers with active and passive hybrid crossovers. Open baffle loudspeakers have some unique advantages over conventional boxed speakers in that:
      ·        They don’t have an enclosed box so they have no box resonances hence no box colourations,
      ·        Their dipole radiation pattern reduces side reflections hence room interaction and increases the portion of direct sound over reflected sound in the room, and,
      ·        The first sound reflection from the wall comes from behind the speakers in the front instead of from behind the seat for conventional speakers, hence producing a more realistic, life-like sound. Open baffle loudspeakers are substantially harder to design due to sound wave cancellation, reduced efficiency and lobbing effects and usually require active crossover to shape frequency response and need multiple amplifiers to drive. Since open baffle speakers are much harder to sell manufacturers usually don’t make them, except with electrostatic loudspeakers. However, because of the greatest technical challenges and potentially the highest possible sonic result, open baffle speakers with dynamic drivers are the ultimate for loudspeaker DIY builders.
      Bill designed the crossover networks and has been tweaking them for 10 years now. He has only lately been very happy with the results and concluded the 10 year loudspeaker DIY project.

CD/SACD/Blu Ray Source
      The source is a modified Marantz UD7007 universal player that plays CD, SACD and Blu Ray. Bill has undergone multiple revisions of his own upgrade over the years and has replaced hundreds of parts to change the player to suit his needs. He also changed the player from a Class II player to a Class I player in order to reduce the noise from the switch mode power supply unit.

Preamp / Active Crossover
      This is a custom built unit designed by Bill to house the active crossover also to serve as a preamp. All buffer stages use OPA627 driven by an extremely quiet shunt regulator.

Power Amplifiers
      Bill originally bought a DIY amplifier kit with conventional 3 stages, class AB, fully complimentary design. He later completely redesigned the printed circuit boards and incorporated a very quiet capacitor multiplier into the amplifier’s first two stages. He also designed his own very quiet and muscular power supply for the amplifier. These are MOSFET amplifiers rated 160W.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.  Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD/Bluray (sorry, no vinyl this month).  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting. We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played. Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go. 

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others.  Feel free to come and hear the capabilities of the system, or to just share the experience with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. 

Guests are welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
      Address:  26 Stanley Road, Epping

When:  Sunday 13th October 2019

Doors open 1pm
      Meeting starts at 2pm

Tom Waters
      President
      Sydney Audio Club
      W: http://www.sydneyaudioclub.org/
      FB: https://www.facebook.com/sydneyaudioclub
      E:  tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

• By psmithy
      Hi all

I am hoping for some good advice for an outdoor projector for use with the Australian Summer looming!

I would prefer a battery powered unit to save running a cable every time I use it. Also want something that can easily be used with Netflix and similar, either with apps on the unit itself or streaming via an iPhone / iPad.

Options seem limited in Australia. The best generally on sale here seems to be the Nebula Capsule but my research found the Nebula Mars 2 which does seem a much better product though only available here on import.

Then there is the Philips PicoPix Max being crowd funded:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/philips-picopix-max-1080p-full-hd-pico-projector?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-SylMbt5AIViIePCh0NDwdAEAAYASAAEgKuQfD_BwE#/

That looks great but I am concerned about no product reviews being available.

Has anyone gone with this or have any thoughts I should consider.

Also, what do I need to look for in an outdoor screen. I really want something quick and easy to put up.

Thanks so much
    • By Bunyip
      Item: Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117 Phono Amp
      Price: $500
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Downscaling my gear collection
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Hi there, After several years of loyal service, I am reluctantly moving this excellent amp on. I don't think I need to speak to much about the quality of this piece equipment - it's bloody awesome. This particular unit is in great condition, has been used minimally in a smoke free home. Battery feels like it's still holding it's charge like the day I bought it. Happy to answer any questions. 
      Oh, I realise I forgot to photograph the Charging unit!
      But don't worry, I have it.
      And if you really need a photo of it I'm willing to break my back bending over the back of my hi-fi shelves, battle my way through the deadly tangle of cables, and retrieve it for a photo shoot.
      Actually, I have to do that anyway for when it's sold, so I suppose I should just man up and do it now....

Photos: