Anyone Remember Triple J's Ambience Program?

I have been the beneficiary of hired goon's generosity today and picked up a swag of CD's.  Amongst the haul, there are a few Eno and Fripp titles.  As it is a Sunday night, in the spirit of the great Arnold Frollows, I am now listening to a couple of them.  

Is there anybody else out there who used to listen to Ambience on Sunday night's?  I always pictured Arnold sitting inside a cupboard, toking on a few spliffs while he was presenting.  I was quite shocked the first time I heard him interviewed because he was such a livewire.

Anyway, Sunday night's at my place are reserved for listening to albums of that genre.  It's become a bit of a ritual and I find it a great way to recharge the batteries for the week ahead.

• Like 1

I never encountered this show but as a new arrival to Australia I found a friend among the airwaves with @@andrewhollo 's PBS FM Sunday night show 'Hybrid'. At that stage, 2000, I think it was the only ambient music show in Australasia. Not quite "Her life was saved by rock'n'roll" but certainly a strong signal that, contrary to various experiences that hinted otherwise, civilisation had indeed reached these shores.

• Like 1

I never encountered this show but as a new arrival to Australia I found a friend among the airwaves with @@andrewhollo 's PBS FM Sunday night show 'Hybrid'. At that stage, 2000, I think it was the only ambient music show in Australasia. Not quite "Her life was saved by rock'n'roll" but certainly a strong signal that, contrary to various experiences that hinted otherwise, civilisation had indeed reached these shores.

Thanks for the kind remarks 3DD. When I first wanted to broadcast, I remember getting in touch with Arnold, thinking that as program manager of JJJ, he might want to hand the reins of "Ambience" to someone else. He didn't. However, at the time (late-1980s) Melbourne's 3-PBS FM already had its own ambient program, "Of Ambience and Atmosphere". I got a gig as one of its four weekly announcers (we rotated across the month), until gradually, the other three dropped off, and I was left 'holding the ambient baby'. I retitled the show to Hybrid in 1990 (giving me broader scope) and did that for fifteen years. Wonderful days, back when you had to largely rely on radio for music discovery!

Andrew

• Like 2

there were other ambient shows too....

ultima thule on 2 mbs

the quiet space on 2 ser

biorhythms on 2 mbs, then 2 ser

Wow listened to all of those and also  Dreamtime with Jaroslav Kovaricek on ABC in 80's and 90's

also still running on the web are

1) Hearts of Space (US) with a theme based introduction that can be a little cheesy but great music https://www.hos.com

2) Difficult Listening on RTR out of Perth  http://rtrfm.com.au/shows/difficultlistening?an_page=2014-11-09   (Sound cloud stream)

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rondine

That tool Frollows was the yes man that ruined the station and turned it into something that was just "alternative" to say you listened to but had minimal alternative content.

ron

• 4 years later...

• 6 months later...

isn't that funny! i've been sharing playlists with friends atm, and a friend shared an album called Flying by Garth Stevenson with me...which I am enjoying very much....i told her it reminded me of  a show i used to listen to on triple j called "ambience, with Arnold Frollows"....i used to look forward to my sunday nights in my share house in Coogee....in bed with the candles on, spliff, and cassette tape at the ready to record. It is a treasured memory! I was a traveller, and when I returned to Canada to go to uni, the first thing I did was volunteer at the uni radio station, with my own show (early morning) called Lost and Found...inspired by Ambience and Arnold Frollows. thanks for posting! (Marina in the Blue Mountains NSW)

• Like 4

I’m not sure what show it was, but I was staying at my family’s bush property many years ago, where I now reside permanently when I heard it.

Back then we stayed in a log cabin built by the original owner. It’s dead quiet here at night usually. So one night I’m sitting outside smoking a spliff and the only thing I could find on the radio worth listening to was this dub show, or what I think of as dub, but it could also be classed as ambient perhaps. I know it was on ABC but think it was national. Could’ve been JJJ I guess. 

Anyway, that night is possibly the most amazing drug-enhanced experience of my life. The songs were long and subtlety changed over 15-30 minutes. Surrounded by nature, looking up at the stars and just tranced the F out on this incredible aural journey.

• 6 months later...

Can anyone remember the names of some of the tracks Frollows played on ambience? I remember he used to play the soundtrack from Merry Xmas mr Lawrence and he once did a recording from Manly beach and he said you could hear the waves in the background...

• 4 weeks later...

I'd always listen to Ambience on a Sunday night in the mid 80s when I lived in a cosy little squat in Newtown. The perfect way to end the weekend before Monday and also with my finger close to the record button on my old Aiwa cassete deck. First heard Miles Davis on that show playing Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. Went on to discover more of him and jazz in general a few years later. Also I remember there was a lot of Vangelis, the soundtrack to Antartica particularly memorable, the theme from Blade Runner( with Mary Hopkin in the background vocals) and Brian Eno's Apollo soundtrack. Those tapes got me through some tough years driving cabs of a night in Melbourne a couple of years later.

On 09/11/2014 at 9:40 PM, ABG said:

I have been the beneficiary of hired goon's generosity today and picked up a swag of CD's.  Amongst the haul, there are a few Eno and Fripp titles.  

Wait, what? I sold Fripp and Eno CDs? They must have been duplicates. Dear God I hope they were duplicates! 🙂

Anyway, I can now understand the origin of the title for the Sunday Night Ambient Now Spinning thread.  

--Geoff

Currently catching up on Fripp's "Music For Quiet Moments" series on Youtube. The blurb reads:

"We will be releasing an ambient instrumental soundscape online every week for 50 weeks. Something to nourish us, and help us through these Uncertain Times."

Up to week 39, so far.