New Orleans music

Monty

Thanks for the Mardi Gras posts guys.

Seek out Tuba Skinny, a N'Awlins street band who have released about 5 or 6 albums in the last few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffXQ6qH3gwU&feature=player_detailpage

I really enjoyed that clip thanks.

New Birth Brass Band do that loose funky stuff you hear in a lot of the bar scenes in Treme.

Trombone Shorty is coming to Aus for bluesfest and IIRC to support Lenny Kravitz.

I've only heard New Birth Brass Band on Treme I think. Good fun. Tempted to try and catch a Trombone Shorty sideshow.

Some more recent New Orleans favourites of mine are:

Trombone Shorty - Backatown 

Anders Osborne - American Patchwork

Galactic - Ruckus

and some older:

Eddie Bo - In the Pocket

Snooks Eaglin - Teasin' You

Great picks. I'm a fan of Trombone Shorty, Galactic and Eddie Bo. Don't know the others but will check them out.

sad to hear of Bo Dollis' passing, here's a stonkin' track I caught on PBS FM Melbourne recently, with him and Dr John

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-Of-The-Crown/dp/B000XFEBN4

Yeah sad about Big Chief Bo Dollis, but not an altogether bad innings for a guy of his generation and wonderful that he was making music until nearly the end. He's Wild Magnolias by the way, not Wild Tchoupitoulas.

I liked that track you linked to. Willee Tee who also collaborated on it is another good one. His band the Gaturs have a couple of killer instrumentals 'Gator Bait' and 'Cold Bear'.

For vinyl lovers visiting NOLA, check out Euclid Records, big warehouse of new & used stuff at reasonable prices.

Sounds great. I hope it continues to stick around because I might be a while yet.

• 8 months later...

• 1 month later...

So - am I posting just to make yez envious or to pump up what a great city this place is?  I hope it's the latter.  Beyond the French quarter there is so much going on, all the time.  And, as we slide through a very damp holy week, the big daughters arrived for the festive season. Which so far has meant:

last Thursday 11:30 onwards at le Bon Temps for the Soul Rebels - man my ears wuz hurtin! But I've done so much damage already that one more night won't make a lot of difference.They are so feckin' LOUD!

Sunday evening at Trinity Episcopal Church for yet another freebie (tho donations to New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity gratefully accepted) - a Christmassy program of sleigh-bell favourites arranged for drums, bass, string quartet piano and sax by Calvin Johnson - was fine fine fine and then late on the Dirty Dozen moved in on it too ...

Last night an indirect benefit for the New Orleans Centre for the Creative Arts at House of Blues.  NOCCA takes talented high school kids on extended programs in drama, music, writing, visual arts, ballet, cookin.  Alumni include Wendell Pierce, the Marsalis boys, Harry Connick Jr - the list is very long.  So, for our $47.50 a head we got music from 7:30-12:55 including mod jazz, brass band jazz, rap, rock, and general funky blow out from the likes of Rebirth Brass Band, Stanton Moore trio, Kermit Ruffins, James Andrews, Shamarr Allen, Trombone Shorty. Was surely worth it.

The things is, whilst all the world knows about Jazzfest, and descends on this place for that and Fat Toosday, there is so much going on ALL the time and in places other than Bourbon Street that it's worth a visit well out of the accepted season.

Here's Trombone Shorty & the NOCCA All-Stars cookin it up big:

post-108525-0-00712600-1450926228_thumb.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

@@Monty I'll just shut up then and allow others with wider views on New Orleans music to contribute!  ;)

On Dr John though I can't say I'm a fan of his really early releases - a little raw and uneven  are words that come to mind with recording quality wanting as well.

Dr John's early releases are absolute classics! I've most of them

What about his Right Place Wrong Time tune?

take Gumbo for instance

http://www.discogs.com/Dr-John-Dr-Johns-Gumbo/master/49048

Dr John Plays Mac Rebennack

see if you can find this on vinyl, sorta audiophile, on the Clean Cuts label, recorded on high end gear

http://www.discogs.com/Dr-John-Dr-John-Plays-Mac-Rebennack/release/1970337

this live album is fabulous too

http://www.discogs.com/Dr-John-Such-A-Night-Live-In-London/release/1408580

also worth looking out for the New Orleans "Indians" like the Wild Magnolias

http://www.discogs.com/artist/41421-The-Wild-Magnolias

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A few folk I've heard here who deserve to be on playlists everywheres:

Henry Butler.  Great live performer in stride and blues and traditional new orleans styles, tho he has his own take on them.  Pity I've not heard all that goodness satisfactorily transferred to disc.

post-108525-0-02146800-1461714903_thumb.

Victor Goines.  Fine fine saxophonist

post-108525-0-65114100-1461714958_thumb.

Herlin Riley's sextet.  From modernish jazz through to blistering funk

post-108525-0-76076600-1461715046_thumb.

Jesse McBride.  Houston-born NOLA resident.  Modern jazz, but he can also play funky funky thangs

post-108525-0-85650400-1461715141_thumb.

Calvin Johnson Jr.  Like many working musos has to cover many bases and styles to make a living. His Native Son album is a bunch of standards with old second-generation players.  Very respectful.  Stretches out into his own things on Jewel's Lullaby.

post-108525-0-95694700-1461715309_thumb.

I'll suggest more in due course ...

• Like 3

Irma Thomas: Hip Shakin' Mama....

Professor Longhair: Live on the Queen Mary. ...

I haven't heard a bad thing by Irma.

Haven't heard Prof's Live album, but Hugh Laurie had a good doco based on his love of this album.  I have the "Hose Party New Orleans Style - The lost sessions 1971-1972" LP which has the best version of Tipitina.  His early Atlantic recordings a good, but anything he did was good.

I've just been playing Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can (1970)....

I'm repeating myself, but I haven't heard a bad Lee Dorsey. 

Did anything bad come out of New Orleans in the glory days?

• Like 3

Out of sheer envy, I forewent my Crescent City Soul 4CD set and reached for this instead:

51Bzy6utAKL._SS280_PJStripe-Robin,TopLef

Nice bit of NO transported to the Basement in Sydney.

But I'm still jealous, Mr K(cubed)-kenny!!!

cheers

mick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@@Monty

Herlin Riley's 2016 album "New DIrection" is v v groovy, gets yo shakin' what yo mama gave ya.  Trying to describe it is difficult, but I'll have a go, in a round about way ...

There are a number of bands in NOLA that have built on the brass band tradition & instrumentation in various flavours - Dirty Dozen Brass Band wd probably be the most famous, and they remain fairly close to the original source but moving in a more funky direction.

A younger generation or generation and a bit in that vein crosses further towards funk - Soul Rebels wd be a prime example: 2 drummers, very much loud brass based.

Others do a bit of that but also go rockin' & add loud guitar: think Brass-a-holics (impressively slick and tight and directionally coherent IMO) or the better known Big Sam's Funky Nation or Shamarr Allen.

One thing bands like that have in common is a lot of LOUD! And one potential weakness they have is that their set lists can be a bit schizoid - not really one thing or another, so there's a tendency to jump from one style to another rather than present material that's a successful integration of all the influences.  But that is true, too, of several artists whose albums I've bought here - Tonya Boyd-Cannon and Kyle Roussel come to mind.

I'm digressing ...

So I come around to Herlin Riley's album.  No question it's a jazz record.  It's got firm rhythmic roots in the brass band tradition but also latin, NOLA funk.  And the brass players sound like they grew up in that brass band tradition.  Harmonically and melodically it ranges across several jazz generations of local and other material.  That could have been a disaster, but here it works, bigtime. It's not at the cutting edge by any means.   No navel-gazing here: this band is listening to each other but playing to the audience.  And it has a certain strut to it, even in its quieter moments.  These guys aren't afraid to play loud or hit the long high notes, but that's not their main weapon - it just swings like a monster.  Jabs rather than roundarm king hits.  And for someone like me, who has no great love or understanding of the further reaches of jazz harmony it's a cracker of an album.

Similar rhythmic punchiness appears in the playing of Stanton Moore, whose piano trio album I've mentioned before. (He's the drummer.)

Edited by k-k-k-kenny
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stumbled across this thread.

The best New Orleans music is live New Orleans music, the kind that when you wake up in the afternoon you think "who were we dancing to last night". My brother lives down south so lucky enough to have seen The Neville's, Mississippi All Stars, Alabama Slim in NOLA and a bunch of others that fit the category previously mentioned.

As for recorded music my fav's would be, but my limited to

Dr John - Duke Elegant, all Ellington covers , very well produced - saw Dr John at the Basement few years back, great show

New Orleans' Juice - Fortified

The Meters - Fire on the Bayou

Lee Dorsey - everything and I'm yet to hear a bad cover of "ride my pony"

Last time in New Orleans, after the Frenchman District nearly killing us, we drove slowly up the Mississippi to Nashville via Memphis, anybody contemplating this should do it. Besides the live music, honky tonk's and dive bars there's Stax's, Sun Studios and Gibson. Clarksdale is a must

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a copy of this whilst in Mel for the HiFi show:

818nWX0D6eL._SL1500_.jpg

His last album, much of it recorded only a month before he died in Nov 2015.  A true NO legend, he only sings on one track, the remainder is an eclectic bunch of tunes all played in his inimitable style - A must have I reckon!

cheers

mick

• Like 5

Had a listen to this yesterday on spotify: it's a fine, reflective record. Love what he does with some Fess Longhair themes.

In a not-so-different vein of piano & voice, Davell Crawford's new album PIano In The Vaults Vol. 1 is good. Like the Toussaint record, it kinda covers several mainly older jazz piano styles. Recorded 1998-2013, apparently, but it doesn't sound disjointed.

For a couple of brass-band-meets-rock/funk-band outfits, both Brass-a-holics and Shamarr Allen are worth a listen.  Allen is a clever lyricist, too.  His re-write of Crazy is very wry.  These bands have serious chops.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well sadly I'll be stuck in NO for 6 days/nights from September 13 -19. What a bummer. This will be after travelling from Chicago, through St. Louis, Nashville, Memphis and Lafayette. Might take in a few tunes, I'll keep you all posted.

Edit: typo

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1

Michael, check facebook/net to see whether chapter:soul is playing Verret's Lounge on the Thursday night, and if they are I highly recommend seeing them, in a REAL NOLA dive bar, with real NOLA people (though a student crowd sometimes blows in from Tulane).  ALSO - the Maple Leaf Bar out in Carrolton at the end of the St Charles Ave streetcar line is a fine venue, as can be Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta Hotel in the French Quarter, Tipitina's at the bottom of Napoleon Ave and, depending who's playing, House of Blues in the Quarter.  Plus there's a lot happening on Frenchmen St.  On the whole, though, the Quarter is not a place for good music.

Well sadly I'll be stuck in NO for 6 days/nights from September 13 -19. What a bummer. This will be after travelling from Chicago, through St. Louis, Nashville, Memphis and Lafayette. Might take in a few tunes, I'll keep you all posted.

Edit: typo

Sounds like the dixie rhythms tour we did about 12 years ago - just pre Katrina. have a great time! For music -  what Kenny said. A friend was here for lunch yesterday, he'd just flew in from US and had recently been in NO - said there was great music to be had in Frenchmen St.

cheers

mick

Edited by mickj1