The Blues

wim

Bessie Smith - St Louis Blues (1925/youtube)

Classic W.C. Handy lyric sung by the great Bessie Smith, with titanic cornet accompaniment from Louis Armstrong.

A foundation stone of 20th Century American music. It has taken on even greater personal significance to me since we buried our dad to it.

• Like 1

Appalling SQ but I sometimes like to listen to the old old stuff

Big Bill Bronzy

Robert Johnston < actually some decent SQ if you buy the correct brand

If you like Ribald -- Memphis Mini ie "Now I just need to get my ashes hauled"

Torch songs try Lena Horn

Country blues the one and only Mississipi John Hurt - his last three albums circa 1960-63 are in stereo

Edited by djb
  • Like 2

Albert King- "I'll Play The Blues For You"

Taj Mahal- " Giant Steps/ De Old Folks At Home"

Robert Johnson- " King Of The Delta Blues Singers"

John Mayall - " Bare Wires"

Johnny Winter- " Second Winter"

Muddy Waters- " The Real Folk Blues"

Janis Joplin- " Kozmic Blues"

Chain - "Towards The Blues"

..for starters,

ZM.

• Like 2

+1 for Hound DogTaylor. Any of the albums are good: drums , 2 guitars, no bass. You might not think that would work, but it sue does. Beware of the Dog, cut live, is utterly sick.

The fairly recently late Chris Jones: Roadhouses & Automobiles. He was an accomplished white American acoustic guitarist/singer resident in Germany. Not Robert Johnson, but very enjoyable. And well recorded.

But if I had to pick just one track, then today it would be Howlin' Wolf: You'll Be Mine. Or maybe Muddy Waters' version of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl. It's really quite ill.

• Like 2

+1 for Hound DogTaylor. Any of the albums are good: drums , 2 guitars, no bass. You might not think that would work, but it sue does. Beware of the Dog, cut live, is utterly sick.

Technically not as proficient as his other compatriots, but boy, he could make that cheap Japanese guitar (no offence intended) sing......

HDT was the godfather of garage/ punk blues movement - Black Keys....White Stripes......real house-rocking music....... :thumb:

Are we able to admit that a lot of well known blues artists had very limited repertoire?  Much as I love them, Elmore James only had a couple of noteworthy songs - OK, three - Jimmy Reed and a host of others likewise.

BB King's Live at the Regal is not like that.

Mind you, I would not be without the great songs of those others.

On the other hand, how did John Lee Hooker get so far with so little?  Gotta be the voice.  Highly recommend the Union Square label Essential JLH Collection: has all his best pre-rediscovery material including his fabulous take on Will The Circle Be Unbroken - he doesn't even have to sing words that make sense to be convincing.

• Like 1

Taj Mahal self-titled lp....

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taj_mahal/taj_mahal.p/

with Jesse Ed Davis and Ry Cooder in his band. Listen to "Statesboro Blues" and you'll recognise where Duane Allman got his licks from. cheers..yee

The story goes like this.......

"Allman's version comes from when his brother Gregg gave him a record by Taj Mahal (containing his version of "Statesboro Blues") and a bottle of Coricidin pills, both for his birthday and as Duane had a cold that day; A short while later, Duane, who had never played slide guitar before, washed the label from the Coricidin bottle and learned how to play the song, even exhibiting it to Gregg." (source: Wikipedia)

Taj Mahal self-titled lp....

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taj_mahal/taj_mahal.p/

with Jesse Ed Davis and Ry Cooder in his band. Listen to "Statesboro Blues" and you'll recognise where Duane Allman got his licks from. cheers..yee

It's also got a brilliant version of 'Leavin' trunk' and my all time favourite version of 'Dust my broom' this side of Elmore James.

cheers

mick

• Like 1

If you like acoustic LH get a copy of 'Blues Hoot' with Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee and Big Joe Wiliiams - it's got a fabulous version of 'Big Car blues' on it among other gems.

" I got me a black cadillac with white-wall tyres - I'm sittin up in there all black with white teeth and white eyes"

Cheers

Mick

• Like 2