Lenehan Kit Loudspeakers

Lenehan Audio

Good Day    

fellow audiophiles ! yes we are considering selling kit loudspeakers . I've started this topic to ask your various opinions on how you think this may go.

I intend to be marketing a 5inch two-way , 6.5inch two-way and 8inch floor standing two-way ( Dohhh maybe dat all poor ole Mike can make ) .  The initial 5inch two-way release will certainly I believe outperform the average $3000 to $4500 retail product .

The initial introductory release price for this kit will be around the $600 mark and include fully built Xovers ,enclosure flat pack,drivers,damping material etc. In fact the only thing it won't have is the finish on the cabinet ! 

I know there are tons of dedicated audiophiles out there that can't fork out $3000 for a pair of ML1's. Even hunting around ebay and on SNA classifieds still see's them go for between $1500 and $2000. 

I know there's some great DIY speaker builders on SNA so would appreciate some feedback or suggestions .       Best Regards Mike Lenehan

LenehanAudio

• Like 21

Verrrry interesting!! I'm watching closely! :)

Sorry, my reply above was a quick post on my phone.

I reckon there would be good demand for a kit which comprises a 'watered-down' ML1 of sorts eg.

* possibly the same drivers (as they are relatively inexpensive) or something similar

* no fancy cabinet linings - just some basic cross-bracing

* generic binding posts

* a relatively sophisticated crossover but devoid of the fancy bits (eg. smaller gauge inductors, basic ERSE caps or similar, no fancy by-pass caps)

* a fairly benign 8 ohm load

I'll be keeping an eye on this!

• Like 1

I think that's a great idea, Mike!

You could even cut the price a little further by making the xovers a component-supply only, DIYers to assemble themselves, but just ensure the kits have everything provided and great assembly instructions/diagrams.

As mentioned, forgo any special cabinet linings (keep that a Lenehan end-product 'exclusive') and just provide great bracing in the kits and some basic damping/foam.

Finished or unfinished I'm not fussed on - very few DIYers will be able to get the 'Lenehan finish' themselves and it gives them freedom to give their speakers the look they want - be it paint, leather, veneer, raw, flocked, etc.

• Like 4

You could even cut the price a little further by making the xovers a component-supply only, DIYers to assemble themselves, but just ensure the kits have everything provided and great assembly instructions/diagrams.

ABSOLUTELY!!

I'd happily save some coin in this regard.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to start by offering your standard ML-1's in a kit comprising:

- CNC'd cabinet components requiring assembly, finishing and painting.

- Fully built crossover with an option to assemble it yourself. You will need to supply a BOM and could offer upgrade parts as an option.

As others have said, don't ship the bracing, you can provide plans for that.

People will want to purchase a known quantity in kit form rather than an unknown speaker.

• Like 2

Sorry, my reply above was a quick post on my phone.

I reckon there would be good demand for a kit which comprises a 'watered-down' ML1 of sorts eg.

* possibly the same drivers (as they are relatively inexpensive) or something similar

* no fancy cabinet linings - just some basic cross-bracing

* generic binding posts

* a relatively sophisticated crossover but devoid of the fancy bits (eg. smaller gauge inductors, basic ERSE caps or similar, no fancy by-pass caps)

* a fairly benign 8 ohm load

I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Hi Pete 

Ok mate come on ! where are ya ? Ya flaming hiding in  the downstairs lab somewhere aren't ya ?  

You read my designing mind mate Allllllmost to a T !    In fact I have two absolutely superlative drivers in mind that I think are nearly as good as the current ML1 drivers , the bass driver may be a tad better (only maybe though as I need to do more RandD here ) 

1. Xover 

will be built on a PCB with decent but not over the top components . Perhaps 14awg coils entry level Polypropelene caps and decent non inductive wire wound resistors.

In other words vastly superior to your average $4000 RRP product which usually have about $20 worth of parts for both Xovers.

2. Enclosure.

I have new cabinet IP that will produce an excellent low energy storage enclosure ! and it's inexpensive in respect of parts cost but a little more labour intensive. This            is certainly not a product release or anything like it at the moment you understand I'm just talking and gathering some opinions and whatnot ! I am in two minds at the moment whether to use the IP in a kit enclosure , more conventional enclosure designs will still work ok .

The rest is the boring stuff so I won't dribble too much .    Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 2

What about paint/finishes?

Would there be some kind of veneer or vinyl wraps that could be used? I don't think the average DIYer would have someone as good as Mark next door to do the paint job?

There's a few things that can be done Doggie !

1. go to Bunnings and stain the enclosure with a variety of stains ! surprising how good it can look 

2. take the enclosures to a spray painter and have them painted.

3. Paint them yourself with spray cans ! don't laugh I have researched some good undercoats and spray paints and it's surprising what results you can get .

4 . we may supply the enclosures in Pine timber in which case they can be fine sanded and stained and waxed.

We will be doing a lot of Rand D with the kits ourselves and will pass along whatever experience we have gained .

Regards Mike Lenehan

Edited by LenehanAudio

How about a modern day Gale 401 clone Mike ? :thumb:

Yes Gordon

I was also thinking of the Dynaco A25 and the AudioNote ANE ! in the old days when I worked at Southport HiFi I had a 10ich two-way design , they were a good thing in their day , I guess I sold about a dozen pair .

Of course I would want to beat the Gale wouldn't I ? It would be great to apply some new thinking to an iconic concept.        Regards Mike Lenehan 

My suggestion would be to start by offering your standard ML-1's in a kit comprising:

- CNC'd cabinet components requiring assembly, finishing and painting.

- Fully built crossover with an option to assemble it yourself. You will need to supply a BOM and could offer upgrade parts as an option.

As others have said, don't ship the bracing, you can provide plans for that.

People will want to purchase a known quantity in kit form rather than an unknown speaker.

Hi Telecine

indeed we may give the customer the option of building the Xover themselves ! this would make the kit less expensive again .

We will also be posting how to build videos on youtube . from step 1 to the end of build.              Regards Mike Lenehan

• Like 1

It's not clear from the OP, but I assume the intention is to sell kits alongside the existing range of speakers.  If this is correct, there are at least two dangers in this strategy:

1 the kits will cannibalise sales for the existing range, thus reducing overall income

2 Lenehan loses control over the final quality of the product, which could harm the reputation of the Lenehan brand if people see poorly-executed examples of the kit speakers.  Brand reputation is very hard to claw back once it is damaged.

I have no doubt that these risks have been considered, but the market for speakers in Australia isn't large.  Lenehan now has a reputation for producing world-class speakers and I for one would be thinking very carefully about putting it on the line.

Edited by bronal
  • Like 3

3. Paint them yourself with spray cans ! don't laugh I have researched some good undercoats and spray paints and it's surprising what results you can get .

This is what I do.    Good quality cans and paint aren't cheap, but you can get great results   (even a hack like me).

It's not clear from the OP, but I assume the intention is to sell kits alongside the existing range of speakers.  If this is correct, there are at least two dangers in this strategy:

1 the kits will cannibalise sales for the existing range, thus reducing overall income

2 Lenehan loses control over the final quality of the product, which could harm the reputation of the Lenehan brand if people see poorly-executed examples of the kit speakers.  Brand reputation is very hard to claw back once it is damaged.

I have no doubt that these risks have been considered, but the market for speakers in Australia isn't large.  Lenehan now has a reputation for producing world-class speakers and I for one would be thinking very carefully about putting it on the line.

No reason why these can't be marketed and branded as a separate line, DIY by Lenehan for example. I'm sure that would be the intension anyway for the points you raised as well as the massive price discrepancy.

I bet they would sell enough kits to the many people like myself that are intruigued by the brand but don't have the $$$ for the genuine artical or time to head to the GC to audition anyway. That should get around point 1. My interest would lie in the ML3 clone if one is being considered... seeing as though my room is quite large.

• Like 2

bronal's points are perfectly valid as both those situations happened with regard to the product we import and lead to a complete closure of the kit side of their business even though the Canadian manufacturer continues to produce a similar named range of products far removed from design and component quality to the original. initially it was a good way of using b-grade components that were outside the spec required for factory finish product and reduce manufacture cost and product wastage.

such is the nature of most diyer's they can't help but improve on the original and so parts substitution became so much of the game that the original sound was lost in the tinker and became a scrap book of its intent. others heard these efforts and wondered why including the original manufacturer and so decided to withdraw from all supply. initially a good and worthwhile process but once the genie is out of the bottle then all control is lost except that your name is always referred to in the description, good or a true disaster.

2. Enclosure.

I have new cabinet IP that will produce an excellent low energy storage enclosure ! and it's inexpensive in respect of parts cost but a little more labour intensive. This            is certainly not a product release or anything like it at the moment you understand I'm just talking and gathering some opinions and whatnot ! I am in two minds at the moment whether to use the IP in a kit enclosure , more conventional enclosure designs will still work ok .

Now this sounds interesting. How will it compare with your current cabinets?

Great idea not much choice in Aus. Ended up going with a Zaph Madisound kit.

And offers without the flat pack would be great for us woodworkers

I have been eyeing off the Kairos kit from meniscus but would like to build one of yours if available