Steve M

NO LONGER AVAILABLE: Kajak12/Mario's Killerdac + Zen Clock Marantz CD94 Transport

Item: Kajak12/Mario's Killerdac + Zen Clock Marantz CD94 Transport
Price: $4800 Negotiable
Item Condition: Good and operationally perfect, but it is what it is.
Reason for selling: rationalising things again ...
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: See below
Pictures: See below

Hi All,

It pains me somewhat to say that up for sale is the almost legendary Kajak12/Mario Killerdac + Zen Marantz CD94 Transport.

Most of you are probably aware that Mario recently went through a sort of mid-life crisis and has decided to lay low with audio and concentrate on his young family (and his V8 Holden). Good on him I say having been there and done that at a similar stage in life. This demonstrates that under the gruff exterior of the Kajak12 tough guy persona, is a man with a soft heart. :thumb: Anyway knowing him well, I ended up with Mario's superb digital replay system, one that he has poured his heart and soul into. And, the results speak for themselves as this CD player is just about the best one that I have heard - if true tone and musicality is your goal. It has the unique knack of sounding 'just right', smooth and weighty, pulls plenty of detail while never sounding strident.

As some of you may already know a new Killerdac is about $5,800 from Rawl(Craig Connor) and StevenValve, the Zen Transport with I2S connection costs about $2,400 to build, being $1,000 for a Marantz CD94 with famed CDM1 mechanism + $650 for the DC battery powered Zen Clock from Zenelectro(Terry Demol in Sydney) + $600-$800 for Duelunds/Elna Cerafine/Solen/Alan Bradley resistors and capacitors etc, which equals a total of about $8.2K+. Not mentioning the labour costs to put one together.

It would be fair to say that besides StevenValve's and Craig Connor's personal Killerdac units, Mario's version is one of the best implementations of the kd concept. It contains carefully selected Philips TDA1541-S1 Crown DAC chip (best sounding one from his collection according to Mario), superb vintage chokes and transformers and other parts sourced from the known Universe that is the worlwide web! In fact, a shootout between the three Killers would be most interesting? You never know ...Mario's could be the best one.

This digital replay system would be an excellent Redbook 16bit/44.1kHz reference for anyone, full stop and no further discussion required. Even for the guys playing around with CA which sounds great too...this player is at the pinnacle of naturalness and correct tone to reference to, imho.

The player comes with everything Mario had with it being the remote control, Oyaide power cords and Lenehan tuned spring supports under the transport. I also spent about 12 hours tidying up all the excess Cat5 wire Mario had running around and tucked everything into the chassis's for neatness. Pick-up is preferred, but I can lock things down and ship at buyer's risk.

Cheers,

Steve.

DSC_8830_zpsc8fc98fb.jpg

DSC_8834_zpse6ffc736.jpg

JobAmplifierRef-1Spkr001_zpse4d000e5.jpg
The Killerdac+Zen transport are at bottom of rack Left & Right, big red button on Right is the Killer.

DSC_8481Large_zpsafdc866a.jpg

ELECTRICAL DISCLAIMER
This product has not been manufactured by a qualified individual or company, therefore contains electrical circuits that do not necessarily comply with Australian Standards. I understand that as the seller, I may be liable to repercussions in the event of equipment failure. By advertising and selling this product, as the seller I also agree that I am solely liable, and the publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of the failure of the product being sold. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified electrician to inspect the product to ensure it is safe for use.

awesome. Right product, wrong time for me. Somebody's going to be very happy with this. 

Well done Steve in tidying up the transport and DAC, I have never seen it look so tidy. :)

There is no doubt at all that a lot of time and effort was put into making this pairing perform and from my perspective it makes the best red book CD replay I have ever heard for space, size and general musicality. :thumb:

It will bring the next owner many years of enjoyment without too much stressing over if x component is better than y component (for us audionervosa types).  It does need a sizeable battery to run the dedicated Zen clock and the DAC could usefully incorporate the twin chokes and cap.

I don't think there will be a shortage of people lining up to get their hands on it, I would love the clock from it as its the best implementation I have heard.  Already owning a KDAC with two transports makes it a bridge too far for me though but anyone reading this should know its a true thoroughbred and will stand the test of time as it has for many years.  24 bit is mostly marketing hype, this combo can reproduce music in its finest form.

Best of luck with the sale.

V

Hi VvD,

Thanks for the kind words ...you don't post much do you with only 12 Posts?? But never a truer word said and I might be kickin' myself later for selling this superb CD player, its happened before :( .

Steve.

Whoa...., am shock! This is the most organic sounding setup I have heard both at Mario's environment and yours. Someone will kick himself in near future. Then gain, someone else will fast track themselves in their audio journey with little efforts, time, and funding.

GLWTS.

Edited by 24Bits

Just to let everyone know, the price is negotiable.

Also, the Killerdac can be shipped separate from the large transformer and chokes shown at the rear. Then its just a matter of reconnecting a few labelled wires and Bob's your uncle ...all go.

The Marantz CD94 player is powered from the wall socket by normal 240v AC voltage and the internal Zen Clock is powered by an outboard pure DC supply. A normal 12v car battery will suffice or if you want compactness a half sized 12v Panasonic battery from Battery World or online would also be good.

*This is a very unique player guys, tuned to the max for ultimate musical pleasure - not for its looks or any other wanky audiophile notions :ban::D  .

Steve.

Guest myrantz

Also, the Killerdac can be shipped separate from the large transformer and chokes shown at the rear. Then its just a matter of reconnecting a few labelled wires and Bob's your uncle ...all go.

Happy to split? :D I'm looking for that transformer and chokes thingy but just don't know how to source 'em on the Internet... :D If willing to split please let me know of the price. Thanks :)

Happy to split? :D I'm looking for that transformer and chokes thingy but just don't know how to source 'em on the Internet... :D If willing to split please let me know of the price. Thanks :)

TJ, the short answer is no, though you might be kidding?  ;)  If I took those carefully hand selected components out, it would be like losing ones g_nads  :D .

This player is the lovely sounding and famous 'Killerdac' built by one of the original proponents of the concept - Mario (who has a very good set of ears) ...if we go fiddling about with it significantly, it wouldn't be a Killer anymore.

Steve.