Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Owners & Discussion Thread

Well I've seen nothing but positive reviews pretty much anywhere you can find a review so far. The basics look good in that it is solid, motor is good and tone arm is robust and capable of tracking under bad conditions(meaning I can't get it wrong haha) so I think I'm just gonna go out and grab one tomorrow.

The only negatives I can find is the odd whine about the spec saying LESS THAN .1% wow and flutter which is pretty low for direct drive, and then the gaggle of SL1200 die hards saying it will never beat the original Technics deck which means nothing to me as they aren't available anymore and my DJ days are at least a decade back in the past.

I think with a good cartridge, this will be a nice solid turntable for general listening :)

• Like 1

Less than .1% wow and flutter low for a DD?

Not in the day of DD tables, at the height of the day some makers had specs of like .009% wow and flutter on the TOTL tables, on average a good one was .03% or better. How much these figures mean beyond a point...I have no idea. ....and how this was tested is another thing.

I'm not bagging the table, just an observation of the specs compared to the heyday of the DD.

Anyway, your play test should be interesting :thumb:

0.1% is the same spec as all the hanpin turntables. I saw someone somewhere measured the wow and flutter though, and found it was considerably less than though, so shouldn't be a problem. On my Stantons I've never noticed anything.

0.1% is the same spec as all the hanpin turntables. I saw someone somewhere measured the wow and flutter though, and found it was considerably less than though, so shouldn't be a problem. On my Stantons I've never noticed anything.

Measured less......that's cool :cool:

Of course the proof is in the playing :thumb:

I think Pioneer have played on the 'safe' side by just saying 'less than' vs an actual specific number as it will vary with pitch and record select speed as this is a DJ table with a fully variable pitch bending adjustment of +/- 50% at it's highest. If they gave a specific wow and flutter amount, and then someone measured it higher at a weird pitch % then everyone would scream false advertising etc. Speed control has to be completely electronic vs a fixed motor speed of a belt driven, non pitch adjustable player(or DD non adjustable deck)

.1% MAXIMUM is bugger all to me considering I grew up with cassettes that were considerably worse haha! I would also say that many that state super super low wow and flutter may not be honest also(who actually can check with absolute accuracy measurements THAT small?)

I'm just going to grab one from JB Hifi as it's by far the closest to me(5 mins) and spend a bit of time with it this afternoon and tomorrow with some nice 80's vintage presses of mainstream music I'm very familiar with on CD and I'll give my oppinions soon :)

Edited by LunchieTey
  • Like 1

I think Pioneer have played on the 'safe' side by just saying 'less than' vs an actual specific number as it will vary with pitch and record select speed as this is a DJ table with a fully variable pitch bending adjustment of +/- 50% at it's highest. If they gave a specific wow and flutter amount, and then someone measured it higher at a weird pitch % then everyone would scream false advertising etc. Speed control has to be completely electronic vs a fixed motor speed of a belt driven, non pitch adjustable player(or DD non adjustable deck)

.1% MAXIMUM is bugger all to me considering I grew up with cassettes that were considerably worse haha! I would also say that many that state super super low wow and flutter may not be honest also(who actually can check with absolute accuracy measurements THAT small?)

I'm just going to grab one from JB Hifi as it's by far the closest to me(5 mins) and spend a bit of time with it this afternoon and tomorrow with some nice 80's vintage presses of mainstream music I'm very familiar with on CD and I'll give my oppinions soon :)

Nothing wrong with the cassette tape sound :)

Nil stock of PLX-1000's in WA so got to wait a week or two to get one. At least I can procure a cartridge or two and some more vinyl to get started!

Purchased some 80's compilations of a forum member who was an extremely nice bloke with a very nice system which I unfortunately did not get the time to listen to!(don't know his forum name though!)

They have them on their website but not in-store it turns out. It's a Pioneer 'DJ' product and JB have quite a bit of Pioneer's mixers and CDJ decks, just not the turntable. I have ordered one but will get an ETA tomorrow.

Had a look at the turntables they DO stock and am NOT interested in Sherwood or whatever other plastic fantastic stuff they had(All less than $200 and felt very cheap)

Was just reading a post over on SH, and a guy that has a few Technics tables including a slightly modded 1200, likes his new Pioneer better :)

Pioneer on hold for a couple of weeks due to my 5 year old 50" Panasonic plasma going bang!

Will pick up my new 58" 4K THX rated Panasonic tomorrow morning so gotta 'spread' the spending a little.

Oh well no rush as I picked up a nice little Timber veneer plinth Sony with new belt and cartridge with matching timber veneer tuner off gumtree for bugger all to play with (Sony PS-1350 and little ST-70 teak veneered tuner thrown in) This will give me something to play with until then as it looks like a nice little TT. Might open it up and 'upgrade' any components that need a refresh and see how it ends up!

Was just reading a post over on SH, and a guy that has a few Technics tables including a slightly modded 1200, likes his new Pioneer better :)

Can you provide a link please? interested to read.

Cheers

Cheers. Interested to see how the Pioneer PlX compares to the other Chinese turntables. If anyone in QLD buys one and would like to do a comparison with a Stanton st150 and a Technics let's set it up!

The Stanton and the Pioneer are more similar than different, I suspect the digital circuitry and the preamps in the Stanton degrade the sound somewhat, even when bypassed - a hardware rewire is fairly simple though. My Stanton also has a subtle motor noise - you can hear a shhhhhh sound on the silent parts of the record at the start and end, and if you stop the record but let the platter spin, you can also here this rumble I'm not sure if thats just because of the felt slipmats, and if it would be cured with a proper mat though.

For anyone in Perth wanting to see one in the flesh, there was a Pioneer PLX-1000 on display at JB HiFi Osborne Park this morning.In the DJ & Musicall instrument section.

From a quick look, it was substantially heavy and had quality appearance.

I was in StoreDJ today buying a shure m44g and headshell (the m44g is $90 there which is pretty reasonable and great service) and they have two plx1000 set up with a pioneer mixer. Only had a brief look and touch and was quite impressed overall with looks and 'feel' didn't actually play anything on it though as wife and newborn daughter were waiting in the car!

Definitely on my 'to purchase list' after seeing it in the flesh.

Have spent a nice afternoon with a Sony PS-1350 with the previously mentioned shure cart and its a nice little TT but definitely want the plx!

I would say StoreDJ would be a great place to audition as its much much quieter than a JBs with staff that will happily let you play with the plx and they also have a massive selection of studio monitors they will connect for you for a decent listen. JB is noise pollution city whereas storedj is normal conversation level (similar to a hifi store)

Edited by LunchieTey

I guess audiophile and DJ'ing are two different things

Pioneer has always been good at seeing a marketing gap and filling it with what the market needs. Bit hard to compare a new deck made for DJ'ing to an audiophile deck from the 70's or a DJ deck thats out of production. Pioneer are at least trying to fill a gap in the market, you DJ's should be happy about that. Or go buy a deck made at least 5 years ago thats been hammered.

Not getting into the digital V's analogue debate, 

DJ's might be able to pick the sound quality from the dance floor, but the average punter wont. Them dancing with a few yagermiesters under their belt aint there for sound quality, lol

I like what I'm seeing here, good to see Pioneer still in the mosh pit, something Technics thought was dead and moved on to sipping wine.

Everything is badge engineered these days. If the Pioneer looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....

• 4 weeks later...