Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Owners & Discussion Thread

This turntable has been mentioned before in some threads, but might be time for it's own thread ??

Reason being I actually saw one for sale locally via storedj for a reasonable $899.

I'm actually curious enough to go and visit the store and have a look.

And I was wondering anyone thoughts about this TT.

Considering you can't buy a technics new anymore, and prices on ebay for second hand technics are still ridiculously high if you want one in a decent condition , and you don't know the true history of them TT's.

It could make buying a pioneer an interesting option.

So the question is: could this be a good alt for the technics?

Or is it another knock off, but with a higher price tag then the other knock off's ??

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/PIO-PLX1000

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/turntable/plx-1000.html

Edited by Damhooligan

I have a DJ-Tech which I beleive is made by Audio-Technica. I think the Pioneer may also be made by AT. I paid about $400 from Audiophile. The TT is excellent in my second system. I have six or so MM carts all in headshells which I roll quite often. You can't use the TT with a MC cart. There is a thick steel plate under the plinth to control EMI from motor and control cct. The magnets in the MC cause it to skate into the centre and this cannot be adjusted for.

I think it's a good TT, but I've got mixed feelings. 

I'd maybe consider a pair for DJ'ing.  They're the nicest looking as they seem about the same price as similarly spec'd new alternatives.    Having said that though, at the moment you can still get a decent 1200/1210 for under $900 so unless you have an aversion to buying 2nd hand I think it's best to stick with the original.      

I'm not sure it'd be on the list for general listening TT.   Bucket loads of torque and pitch control just aren't necessary.  I'd rather spend $900 on something 2nd hand which probably sounds better and might even increase in value.  

I think they've missed the price point a little too.   If it was $700 here (like it is in the states) I think it'd sell quite well. 

• Like 1

i am very interested too.

can only tell by actually going and having a 2 min touch n play session.

that is the only way to know.

and will know straightaway...

If you're familiar with Technics layout and performance then I don't think a touch n play session would be necessary at all.    It seems to me that the only differences are improvements (more torque and pitch control range).  

nothing feels like a technics.

nobody else has ever matched the industry standard.

many have tried, and they have all failed.

this is the latest try.

if they get it right, then they're on a winner.

if they get it wrong, then it's curtains.

you can't just look at the pics, videos of star dj's, pretty specs....

need to go touch it first. it will only take seconds for me to know, the feeling of the original is embedded in me.

I believe the issue with the Pioneer will be that people will judge it based on their impressions/feeling/love of the SL 1200 rather than the PLX1000 itself. 

I don't DJ and have never owned a SL1200 but I have played around with it as friends have owned them.

When I touch the SL1200 I feel not just the TT but also the history and pedigree of the deck, the years of it being the best and undisputed champion

and also the how some of the best nights of my life have had a DJ spinning tracks on a couple of 1200's.

A pioneer can never give me that feeling or connect with me in that manner, no matter how good it actually is.

I really want to like it and I wish it success as I want to see vinyl again rule the floors.

I just hope people don't judge it with a negative bias just because it's not the SL1200. 

• Like 2

That's so true black orange.

I have never owned a 1200 not played with it, but i know the look as all the dj's use them.

I'm not bit biased as i don't 'know' the 1200.

Just tgat all the other look a likes seem to be just that.

They look good but have negative reviews.

So I'm trying to figure out is this is another look alike or actually a good tt.

But in all fairness, pioneer choose to adapt the looks of the 1200, so a comparison is only logical and fair.

They could have gone with anew design ;-)

I want to see vinyl again rule the floors.

I could be wrong but I can't see that ever happening,  not with real records anyway.   Vinyl control records maybe  (eg.  Serato, Traktor),  but IMO the days of DJ's lugging around crates of records are over,   except for maybe a small number of masochists trying to 'keep it real'.  The digital interfaces are just too good...all pros and almost no cons. 

Even 5+ years ago it was getting rare to see anything other than control records played on turntables.   A new turntable on the market isn't going to change that.

i never became a digital dj - as you can probably tell...

some of my friends did - and they all came across many issues that the digital interface inevitably introduces.

the only issue i ever came across using sl's over 20 year period was the light bulb dying, or a cartridge dying, or grounding hum if

somebody had stuffed around with the cable, or one channel gone if somebody bent the pins on the headshell.

in other words, issue out of neglect.

the drive system was utterly reliable. 

the pitch control and platter stability are most important.

no copies got that right.

to control the beat mix was to 'finger' the platter forwards or backwards, or adjust the spindle, and finger the pitch controller just so.

all the copies couldn't get that dampening right - you touch it and the mix is gone.

yes, i am biased. and with good reason.

• Like 1

now, digital dj's push buttons and the computer does everything for them to perfection, and people clap and scream encouragement.

the guy really didn't do anything.

he didn't even have to lug his records to the gig.

he didn't even think on the fly and read a crowd, because he pre-arranged everything at home a week before the gig.

there is no art anymore.

soon he will need only to bring his smartphone to do a gig.

Edited by analog brother

The Pioneer is made by Hanpin for Pioneer. It appears to be a cross between their two top-line direct drive models:

http://www.hanpin.com.tw/4_Products_02.html

Hanpin produce the vast majority of 'DJ' style turntables on the market, particularly the SL1200 clones and variations thereof (including the big Stanton and American Audio units).

I have a DJ-Tech which I beleive is made by Audio-Technica. I think the Pioneer may also be made by AT. I paid about $400 from Audiophile. The TT is excellent in my second system. I have six or so MM carts all in headshells which I roll quite often. You can't use the TT with a MC cart. There is a thick steel plate under the plinth to control EMI from motor and control cct. The magnets in the MC cause it to skate into the centre and this cannot be adjusted for.

DJ-Tech and Audio-Technica are both made by Hanpin.

• Like 2

now, digital dj's push buttons and the computer does everything for them to perfection, and people clap and scream encouragement.

the guy really didn't do anything.

he didn't even have to lug his records to the gig.

he didn't even think on the fly and read a crowd, because he pre-arranged everything at home a week before the gig.

there is no art anymore.

soon he will need only to bring his smartphone to do a gig.

Just a wee bit generalising maybe?   I don't disagree but not all digital DJ's are the same.    

On one extreme are the kind you're referring to.   The button pushers,  relying on auto matching, cue points,  loops etc etc.   Not really my cup of tea but I do have respect for what some of them can do.   It still takes skill and the end result can be something that you'd never have achieved in the pre-digital world.

On the other hand you've got guys who play digital files but still cue, match and mix exactly as they would if playing real records.  The only real difference is that they're digging through a list of files not a crate of records.    In most cases the medium  wouldn't influence the set played or their crowd interaction at all.  

They are both still Art..but one is Banksy and the other is Monet. 

Not a confirmed fact by Pioneer or Hanpin (they'd be under a fairly watertight confidentiality agreement, no doubt) but there's plenty of info out there which indicates that the Pioneer is based around Hanpin's 'super OEM' turntable with a few tweaks - much like the Reloop RP-7000 and RP-8000. I should probably have said 'based upon' Hanpin's OEM turntable architecture. 

Only if you know the story....

All i see is numbers..

Then why not do some research and learn the story of why low wow and flutter measurements are important ?

0.1% wow and flutter is quite poor for a DD turntable.