Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable Owners & Discussion Thread

19 hours ago, Chigurh said:

You can get a specialty screwdriver bit set from Jaycar. You need to loosen the outer screw, very slightly to tighten up the inner screw, again very slightly. 30 second job.

I have jewelers screwdrivers. Did you have a link to the Jaycar one?

• Like 1

I've just had a couple of coffees whilst reading through this topic, and really appreciate the insights and opinions from everyone.  my summary is that whilst there are different opinions on the cart, headshell, set up combinations etc,  the general consensus is that it is a very good value bit of kit.  

I have been considering a few other more expensive options, and whilst happy to spend more, wonder if its going to be a material difference.  If i go with the Pioneer, I could spend more on a decent cart, likely the 2M black for example. 

these are the other TTs - 

Project 2Expression sb with bronze 2M $2200 rrp 

Mofi Studiodeck + with Studiodeck cart $1749rrp

Clearaudio concept with concept MM cart $2199 rrp

Would be great if anybody can provide and suggestions / recommendations around these vs the pioneer.  Noting Store DJ has the pioneer out for $791 right now as part of the Black Friday thing, i'm keen to resolve! 

cheers, Scott

On 9/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, Chigurh said:

FWIW I own the PLX1000 with an AT150MLX cart and also a Clearaudio Concept with the Concept MC cart. Comparing the two, the difference isn't night and day but the CA is still a significant step up. Lower noise floor and just punchier sounding. For me the upgrade was worthwhile.

This was from a previous thread involving the PLX1000

I was a very happy owner of a Clearaudio Concept( the MC version) - no issues at all for the 4 years that I was using it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I've just had a couple of coffees whilst reading through this topic, and really appreciate the insights and opinions from everyone.  my summary is that whilst there are different opinions on the cart, headshell, set up combinations etc,  the general consensus is that it is a very good value bit of kit.  

I have been considering a few other more expensive options, and whilst happy to spend more, wonder if its going to be a material difference.  If i go with the Pioneer, I could spend more on a decent cart, likely the 2M black for example. 

these are the other TTs - 

Project 2Expression sb with bronze 2M $2200 rrp 

Mofi Studiodeck + with Studiodeck cart $1749rrp

Clearaudio concept with concept MM cart $2199 rrp

Would be great if anybody can provide and suggestions / recommendations around these vs the pioneer.  Noting Store DJ has the pioneer out for $791 right now as part of the Black Friday thing, i'm keen to resolve! 

cheers, Scott

I think the Clearaudio concept  is the best looking TT of that style on the market and nearly everyone I've heard speaks positively about function. There have been a couple times in the last few years where they have been on sale for $1699 and I have nearly pulled the pin. Might be worth a visit and talking a best price with a bricks and mortar shop like Revolution in Perth.

http://revolutionturntable.com.au/shop/products/turntables/clearaudio-concept-mm-turntable/

BTW I'm staying satisfied playing around with the $400-$700 second hand tables ?

Edited by enikoy
  • Like 1

One thing with the Clearaudio concept is the setting for Anti-skate.

It is underneath the turntable arm and can only be accessed by lifting the whole turntable up. Also have to be careful never to turn it more than 1 full revolution. So you have to pay attention when you are adjusting it and where it was originally.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, rocky500 said:

One thing with the Clearaudio concept is the setting for Anti-skate.

It is underneath the turntable arm and can only be accessed by lifting the whole turntable up. Also have to be careful never to turn it more than 1 full revolution. So you have to pay attention when you are adjusting it and where it was originally.

^^ Wot he said! It took me ages to get it right after I fiddled with it. My advice would be to leave it alone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chigurh said:

^^ Wot he said! It took me ages to get it right after I fiddled with it. My advice would be to leave it alone.

that sounds like too much of a PITA to me.  what an inconvenient design oversight!

57 minutes ago, ScottR said:

that sounds like too much of a PITA to me.  what an inconvenient design oversight!

Same goes with the tracking force , you do need the original stylus force gauge , and it’s not recommended to use a mat on the platter . As you will need to adjust your height . Still a good deck after you pull your hair out and settle , btw I have a stylus gauge here if anyone needs this .?  

• Like 1

New headshell.. I have tried to tighten the tonearm bearings again and they are so tight I slipped and scratched the top of the bracket. My own stupid mistake but I think I’m done trying to fix it. They must have used some serious thread lock or something on it.

E06C9E05-D57D-4F28-B15F-3277E4B00C25.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seemed like the best place to post this. If anyone is considering a PLX1000, maybe they should check this one out. A new TT from Reloop.....the Turn 5. Aimed more  at audiophiles as opposed to DJ's (no pitch control and more, incl. VTA adjustment).....looks quite nice and sounds like it goes ok. Link below.

https://theaudiophileman.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Screenshot-2018-11-21-at-09.46.11.png

Read about it here: https://theaudiophileman.com/turn-5-turntable-reloop-review/?ct=t(Newsletter_copy_66_11_5_2016_COPY_113)&mc_cid=890fa82d21&mc_eid=b647de8b62

@eltech ?

Edited by stevoz

4 hours ago, stevoz said:

This thread seemed like the best place to post this. If anyone is considering a PLX1000, maybe they should check this one out. A new TT from Reloop.....the Turn 5. Aimed more  at audiophiles as opposed to DJ's (no pitch control and more, incl. VTA adjustment).....looks quite nice and sounds like it goes ok. Link below.

https://theaudiophileman.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Screenshot-2018-11-21-at-09.46.11.png

Read about it here: https://theaudiophileman.com/turn-5-turntable-reloop-review/?ct=t(Newsletter_copy_66_11_5_2016_COPY_113)&mc_cid=890fa82d21&mc_eid=b647de8b62

@eltech ?

This is a thread titled "pioneer PLX 1000" so IMO it is not the best or correct thread to post about a different TT.

8 hours ago, stevoz said:

@stevoz

I saw that one a few months ago. It looks good. 

But I don't know if anyone is selling it in Australia. Do you know?

I'm fairly sure it's priced higher than the RP 7000 Mark 2.

But for the higher price you do get a dust cover included which you don't get on the RP 7000, which you can buy at an additional cost.

I haven't heard it so I can't give any further comments.

Edited by eltech

3 hours ago, EV Cali said:

This is a thread titled "pioneer PLX 1000" so IMO it is not the best or correct thread to post about a different TT.

The relevance of the comment is that both turntables are manufactured by Hanpin in the same Factory. Although there are minor differences in aesthetics the actual performance is about the same.

I have owned both the plx 1000 and the RP 7000 and compared them side-by-side which is probably why Steveoz mentioned it to me.

I sold my plx and kept the RP 7000. I much preferred the RP 7000 because it's platter sits at a better height relative to the tonearm which makes it easier to use a variety of cartridges of different Heights. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eltech said:

The relevance of the comment is that both turntables are manufactured by Hanpin in the same Factory. Although there are minor differences in aesthetics the actual performance is about the same.

I have owned both the plx 1000 and the RP 7000 and compared them side-by-side which is probably why Steveoz mentioned it to me.

I sold my plx and kept the RP 7000. I much preferred the RP 7000 because it's platter sits at a better height relative to the tonearm which makes it easier to use a variety of cartridges of different Heights. 

Thanks @eltech  for explanation and @stevozfor posting.

I do expect to see comments in a specific TT thread primarily concerning that TT and that is why I click on any new posts but I now understand and can see the relevance , a lot more than the recent post and subsequent discussion  relating to the Project 2Expression sb, Mofi Studiodeck and Clearaudio concept, in this thread.

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1