Garrott Brothers cartridges

On 12/10/2019 at 10:26 PM, TOPSHELF said:

My thoughts exactly. I have an old P77 it is very, very good responds differently to VTA and loves the arm to have its bum in the air. If Auspost get their act together i can compare it to a P77 "Dynamic coil" branded P77.
I'd also love to know if either of my carts were actually tuned by the brothers? For me putting an aftermarket stylus into the engine lost alot of what I like about this cartridge.
Is the legendary status of this cart reserved for the ones that actually went through the brothers fingers?

All the p77 are the same, all the Garrott Brothers did was brand them and retip a range of stylus, the engine are all identical. Not putting these carts down they are a lovely cart, but the Garrott Brothers did nothing to the coils, thus is just internet rumours 

Chris

• Like 1

Don’t think I posted this but moved (some years back) from the K3 to a new P77i. It appears to work well with my DIY EAR834p three tube phono stage. For my newish Rega P3 TT with 330 arm its all I want to spend on a cart for the amount of vinyl I play. Also when replacement stylus is required, though not dirt cheap, I can do it myself. 

One of the reasons I started on my Garrett trip was I wanted to support an Ozzy product though I believe the carts are made by AR (think I have that right) so maybe not so Ozzy. Well at least the name Garrett is associated with an Australian product. Once more happy with my cart and with the cost. 

10 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Don’t think I posted this but moved (some years back) from the K3 to a new P77i. It appears to work well with my DIY EAR834p three tube phono stage. For my newish Rega P3 TT with 330 arm its all I want to spend on a cart for the amount of vinyl I play. Also when replacement stylus is required, though not dirt cheap, I can do it myself. 

One of the reasons I started on my Garrett trip was I wanted to support an Ozzy product though I believe the carts are made by AR (think I have that right) so maybe not so Ozzy. Well at least the name Garrett is associated with an Australian product. Once more happy with my cart and with the cost. 

No they are made in Japan by the Excel corperation.

Chris

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Is that a good thing? 

Not good or bad, just they are not made in Australia they are made in Japan and the tips I believe are done here. The engines are used by quite a few brands.

Chris

• Like 1