I have been enjoying some kinda weird folk like objects recently. While I have been listening consistently to Mat Sweet aka Boduf Songs casting Wiccan spells for a number of years now, I have picked up on a few other similar artists of late. I accidentally stumbled upon Gareth Dicksons dreamy ambient folk at Experimedia and a friend @@ericd recently high-lighted a strange and somewhat perverted individual by the name of David Thomas Broughton. Bunch of friggin weirdos, all, but I like 'em for some strange reason. Does anyone have suggestions along similar lines?

Cheers, big ears

• Like 3
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hipsters with a six string and a bottle of sailor jerry driving from seattle to austin.

I raise your Dark Ambient Folk and play Ambient Jazz Metal:    Bohren and der Club of Gore.    Andrew

I have been enjoying some kinda weird folk like objects recently. While I have been listening consistently to Mat Sweet aka Boduf Songs casting Wiccan spells for a number of years now, I have picked u

The first clip sounds kinda similar to Jose Gonzalez IMHO.

The second clip sounds kinda similar to Kings Of Convenience IMHO.

Dunno about "dark ambient folk" ... try Agolloch's The Mantle for dark metal/folk with ambient bits ... 

... maybe some stuff like Soul Whirling Somewhere for dreamy folk / electronics.

... or Espers maybe?

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon

I am fixated on Boduf Songs, I know. And for good reason, imo. There is a sound that I struggle to find anywhere else......

Rehabitat

Seriously, what the fcuk is Dark ambient folk

I would love an explanation.

Something I made up when drinking last night ;)

I guess Boduf Songs encapsulates it for me. Finger picked acoustic guitar, hushed vocals, dark themes, subtle electronic effects, generally slow time signatures, lo-fi recordings, diy ethic etc. Some label it doom folk, which is appropriate given that Mat Sweet's original stated intention was to record doom/black metal songs in as quiet a way as possible. I like the irony, and the creepy moods, and I love the unique sound worlds he creates. Mat's songs also speak to me on a personal level.

This is one of Mat's other projects, to give some perspective. Totally ugly and raw blackened sludge/death metal.

Did you listen to any of the samples?

thanks for the recommendation; ordered a few of their albums last night.  :thumb:

Excellent! Mat told me a few months ago he almost had a new album in the bag, but no label interest at the time. Southern Records released his last one, but they went on indefinite hiatus wrt new releases. I'll send Mat another message to find out what's going on.

• Like 1

the new sunn o /scott walker album is wicked too.

I'll check that out too, but I couldn't cope with bish bosh.

and nadja are good doomers too.

aidan baker has released many albums....all great stuff. one of my favourite artists of all time.

I saw them supporting Dead Meadow a few years ago. Two piece drone/doom act, very cool. I haven't heard any of their albums. Where's a good starting point?

• Like 1

LEIGH, WISH I WAS THERE!!!!

you lucky bastard! let me know if they ever come out again.

try any album, they have many. i dare you not to buy them all....... :hiccup

Edited by analog brother
  • Like 1

I own an album by Six Organs Of Admittance called The Sun Awakens

It definitely fits the bill of dark ambient folk. Side one is acoustic folk, side two is a 24 min drone piece.

Six Organs Of Admittance is the solo 'psychedelic folk' project of Ben Chasny of Rangda fame.

I'd taken a Rangda LP around to chez @@Viognier one day. I mentioned Ben was in 6OoA, he pulled out one of their LPs that @@Bell Ringer recommended. Stumbled across the LP recently for $15.

Here's a track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrqFUpZouL4

edit: spelling and punk-two-a-son ;)

Edited by ferchersan
  • Like 2

Something I made up when drinking last night ;)

I guess Boduf Songs encapsulates it for me. Finger picked acoustic guitar, hushed vocals, dark themes, subtle electronic effects, generally slow time signatures, lo-fi recordings, diy ethic etc. Some label it doom folk, which is appropriate given that Mat Sweet's original stated intention was to record doom/black metal songs in as quiet a way as possible. I like the irony, and the creepy moods, and I love the unique sound worlds he creates. Mat's songs also speak to me on a personal level.

This is one of Mat's other projects, to give some perspective. Totally ugly and raw blackened sludge/death metal.

Did you listen to any of the samples?

Ha ha

No, did not listen when I asked the question as I was too pissed after being at a party   :hiccup

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

I saw them supporting Dead Meadow a few years ago. Two piece drone/doom act, very cool. I haven't heard any of their albums. Where's a good starting point?

'skin turns to glass' is a good place to start...

and 'sky burial' on latitudes. all the albums are good, as are aidan baker's solo project albums.  :thumb:

• 4 weeks later...

I got an email back from Mat today:

"mr. david

labelsupportachievement = unlocked, new release = feb'15; 'stench of exist' via the flenser.

cigars always smell like fried egg to me. i have met one other person who finds this relatable. i often smell things that the general consensus either smell differently or fail to smell entirely. i don't know what the ****.

i know my music is ironic but i'm interested to hear how you think it's ironic...

keep it smelly,

m"

BSCD.jpg
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I like this thread.

While only five posts in - I think you'd like Julian Cope, Grandaddy and Sparklehorse.

Some examples...

(Peggy Suicide is a great album. Jehovahkill - also good - but not the same level that PS was. After that I'm not so convinced.)

(Grandaddy - it's all good)

(Sparklehorse - shoegazey wonderfulness)

Edited by wim

i like this band too.

a bit more instrumentation but still slow n dark...

So much better if she howled at the appropriate moments.

and nadja are good doomers too.

aidan baker has released many albums....all great stuff. one of my favourite artists of all time.

It's weird Sky Burial is second. It's so superior it defines the release.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

This, no-doubt, belongs in the Electronic thread as well - so I'll also post it there. By linking the two threads < this one gets/deserves (far) more attention (in my humble opinion).

Edited by wim
  • 8 months later...