Kyron Audio Owner's & Discussion Thread

Guest yamaha_man

I brought my reel to reel tapes into that room but they wouldn't play them. Very disappointing

Maybe you looked like a troll.

I say this with the greatest respect..........but perhaps if you had sat in the sweet spot up the front for 3 or 4 tracks as I did, rather than in the doorway of a room hardly suited to displaying quality audio gear, it may have sounded abit more to your liking. Yep I know what they say about opinions.

Regards Cazzesman

Yeah, I did say that. It wouldn't have made them any prettier, though :)

BTW I was in the room. Just inside the door, not in the doorway. I was given to understand that dipoles are less picky about sweet spots. No?

I'm not saying they are crap, just that I didn't hear what everyone was raving about. I heard some great sounds standing near the door at the back of some rooms. The devores had me mesmerised from out in the hallway.

Edited by RankStranger

Hmm. I stood for a few moments (just inside the door, granted) and just nothing about them made me want to stay.

I experienced exactly that. But after a minute I ventured inside, having overheard someone say Fremer gave them a big wrap. Amazing "live" sound - a huge transformation. What a pity you didn't go in; next time maybe. That night I found Michael Fremer reporting this

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/kyron-audios-kronos-best-sounding-system-you-will-ever-hear

The Kyron folks must be over the moon. Success is now assured. Definitely best in show for me, but in your face dynamics (and VERY ruthless expose of the recording) is not everyone's cuppa. They were also kind enough to play a few tracks of mine off usb 10 minutes before the end of the show on Sunday; it was a real joy. Great to see innovative Aussie technology. I think they should target Asia as well as the USA. Think big! 

We were there sitting behind Fremer. They were trying hard to get into it. Really, they were giving it their best listen with their eyes closed & so were we.  Eyes wide shut while Mr Kyron was being snap happy at us with his SLR. Like he does every year.

While they do present an airy soundstage & some great spatial imaging, IMO they are missing dynamics in the mid to lower frequency response ranges.  As for the I'm there feeling...No.  To me the sound is on the analytical side.

The emotion was not there for me.  The product potential is.  Sorry, maybe next year.

That's my opinion.  YMMV.

Edited by myPal
  • Like 3

Why?

The short answer is "music." I just heard music coming out of the room. It stopped me and drew me in. They just (insert gushing hifi hyperbole here).

Having said that, although I enjoyed many of the systems at the show, nothing made me come home to my own (comparatively) modest system, knock it off the shelf and fall to my knees screaming "No, no, no, no, nooooooooo!"

You didn't like them?

I experienced exactly that. But after a minute I ventured inside, having overheard someone say Fremer gave them a big wrap. Amazing "live" sound - a huge transformation. What a pity you didn't go in; next time maybe. That night I found Michael Fremer reporting this

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/kyron-audios-kronos-best-sounding-system-you-will-ever-hear

The Kyron folks must be over the moon. Success is now assured. Definitely best in show for me, but in your face dynamics (and VERY ruthless expose of the recording) is not everyone's cuppa. They were also kind enough to play a few tracks of mine off usb 10 minutes before the end of the show on Sunday; it was a real joy. Great to see innovative Aussie technology. I think they should target Asia as well as the USA. Think big! 

I'm sure they are awesome. They didn't pass the "listen with your eyes test" though. 

I didn't actually like any music I heard in the hallways because it was in the hallways.

Your a very very lucky man then if absolutely nothing at that show made you want to knock yours off a shelf and replace it with something from there. 

I salute either your obduracy at remaining unmoved or excited by what was on show at the Rialto or stoicism in sticking to what you have.

Me being the shallow person I am, I'd gladly sell everything in my sound room and the Handbrake's store of unused expletives to describe my silly hobby. If I could sneak any number of the fantastic systems I heard at the show in what we all would recognise as compromised listening environments then I'd be in 7th heaven and my grab bag of assorted hifi riff raff would be given away pronto.

As for listen with your eyes test...your entering into the realm of the ridiculous with that observation imo.

But each to their own.

If the good folk at Kyron rang me up and informed me I'd won the secret door prize and when could they come up and fit my room out with the system at the show?

I don't think I'd be knocking them back with the observation that not only did they not pass my "Listen with your eyes test' but that their system didn't do "music" as I understand it.

Nuh, I think I'm sitting in an alternate universe to yours I'm afraid.

• Like 4

I didn't actually like any music I heard in the hallways because it was in the hallways.

Your a very very lucky man then if absolutely nothing at that show made you want to knock yours off a shelf and replace it with something from there. 

I salute either your obduracy at remaining unmoved or excited by what was on show at the Rialto or stoicism in sticking to what you have.

Me being the shallow person I am, I'd gladly sell everything in my sound room and the Handbrake's store of unused expletives to describe my silly hobby. If I could sneak any number of the fantastic systems I heard at the show in what we all would recognise as compromised listening environments then I'd be in 7th heaven and my grab bag of assorted hifi riff raff would be given away pronto.

As for listen with your eyes test...your entering into the realm of the ridiculous with that observation imo.

But each to their own.

If the good folk at Kyron rang me up and informed me I'd won the secret door prize and when could they come up and fit my room out with the system at the show?

I don't think I'd be knocking them back with the observation that not only did they not pass my "Listen with your eyes test' but that their system didn't do "music" as I understand it.

Nuh, I think I'm sitting in an alternate universe to yours I'm afraid.

Nuh, I think you're misreading my posts.

I didn't say I wouldn't replace what I have with what I heard, just that having heard all that marvellous gear, I'm still pretty happy with my kit at home. I also didn't say I wasn't moved or excited by anything at the show. Why would you say that? This has nothing to do with luck but rather me consciously overcoming the audiophile nervosa that afflicted me throughout a chunk of my life. He who is happiest has not the most but wants the least. I'm sorry that you are so unhappy with your lot.

That I should seek to like the look of the pieces of furniture that are the focal point of my living room is ridiculous? Ok, fine. Whatever.

I'm sure if I had heard the the Kyrons in their best light, which I think I've made clear that I know I didn't, I would have found them delightful. I never said they didn't do music. Ever. Why did you say I did?

Anyway, I thought a forum was supposed to be where people could share their opinions. You're ruining it for me.

Good bye.

• Like 1

You're ruining it for me.

Good bye.

I think what's ruining it for you is people having a different opinion to yourself.  

You say it wasn't for you and others say it was for them.  No big deal.   Healthy debate.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

They look interesting. Is there anywhere to listen to them in Sydney?

If you find a place Orph do let us know your thoughts as you can't have enough opinions on gear especially if they become a bit divisive.

Hang on.

Can anyone point out exactly where I said that anyone was wrong for liking them? Or that anyone else's opinion was less valid than mine?

No. Because I never did. Then I get this smarmy bulls#!+ from Luc because I said I didn't hear what he heard.

My opinion is that you all need to get out more.

Just to hopefully diffuse the situation a bit...I'm quite happy being called smarmy and also being advised to get out a bit more(and yes I understand the inference), and I also very rarely bite back and I wont now.

You seem to have become upset by my particular post and you said goodbye but you came back and that's a good thing as words without faces are nothing in this context.

I told a well known member here to his face that I thought he did nasty things to sheep and to TT's and I was unclear which was worse.

So apologies to you if your feeling aggrieved, stridency and effluvium are always a problem with forums as your likely to cop it for the former and you should cop it for the latter and occasionally I do.

My answer to most things these days are 'purple boots', great icebreaker and decidedly not smarmy in any way. So I hope you stay here and keep posting as indeed I will.

I'm very rarely serious about anything...it's a fantastic position to take in nearly all online arguments and you'll always end up with warp, weft and woof and you need to pick that.(those three words all come from Old English and apart from their original usage they quite often become an ending to a soliloquy which I probably just did)

Next time I'm in Melbourne I'd like to meet up and I'll pay particular attention to your eyes and then we can go to Victor's and test your idea out and as most people here can attest...you'll buy the drinks.

Cheers.

I couldn't fault the Kyrons in any way.  They are obviously meticulously engineered by people with a passion to create the best and it's clear they are succeeding.  I really enjoyed the sound and even liked the way they looked. :)

OTOH, the DeVores appeared dumpy, anachronistic and lacking in material value, with a simple box containing a 10" paper woofer and a slightly horn loaded silk dome tweeter - hardly shouting high tech or high end.

But I do have to agree with Rank Stranger that the sound they were producing had an uncanny appeal that seemed to flow out into the corridor and draw me into the room.  As I posted in the main show thread, I totally enjoyed everything I heard in the McLean room and I spent a lot of time there. :thumb:  I just really liked listening to them - even more so than several systems that were objectively superior.

I genuinely trust there is room and tolerance for differing opinions on this forum.   I'm just not even sure how real or valid my opinion is in this instance.  If, for example, I was let loose with a dozen well-known favourite tracks in each room and set the volume to my preferred level, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if my preference shifted to the Kyrons.  

I guess the point is that a serious buyer really can't do much more at the show than work out a shortlist based on sound impressions, practical considerations, apparent value and budget constraints.  Not-so-serious buyers can just enjoy it and have fun and become serious if something jumps out at them like the oppo headphone combo did for me :D

Personally, I really like it when someone whose opinion I respect dislikes something that impresses me and vice-versa.  It can be much more interesting to compare different opinions and try to understand where the disparity come from.  Agreeing on everything can be boring. ;)   

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

Budget constraints in the end are what we are all ruled by and the shows like Melbourne can let us into a little corner of the hifi world that we may never inhabit and in my case I know I'll never be there but I just love being there.

The guy in the Ferrari/Lambo/Mazzer stall at a car show has to let me in and also let me sit in and grab the steering wheel and go "froom froom!"...that's what I feel like when I walk in on a Kyron grade demo or Diamonds or Wilson's at Tivoli. I'm so far out of my depth that the fall could injure me if I looked up the cost gradient.

I think it's why we're always so happy to mingle and chat after one of these shows coz you just wanna grab the guy next to you ask and the question...

:)

Guest The Fresh Prince

Does any one in Australia actually own the Gaia, or Kronos?

I absolutely loved the Gaia, when I heard them 2 years ago. I placed them joint, best room alongside the TAD room.

I would love to hear opinions from actual users. I would seriously consider purchasing the Kronos.

Hang on.

Can anyone point out exactly where I said that anyone was wrong for liking them? Or that anyone else's opinion was less valid than mine?

No. Because I never did. Then I get this smarmy bulls#!+ from Luc because I said I didn't hear what he heard.

My opinion is that you all need to get out more.

i think its more to do with the fact that you auditioned a pair of $80,000 speakers from a $200 doorway

i think you need to get in more

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • Administrator
On 25/10/2014 at 3:37 PM, Guest The Fresh Prince said:

Does any one in Australia actually own the Gaia, or Kronos?

I absolutely loved the Gaia, when I heard them 2 years ago. I placed them joint, best room alongside the TAD room.

I would love to hear opinions from actual users. I would seriously consider purchasing the Kronos.

A QLD customer, apparently, owns the new ones - at $489,000! 

305498908_479627057506928_8443976452442162352_n.jpg

I heard the Kyron Gaia at the Sydney HiFi show many years ago when they were only about $160k. For me they were the best open baffle at the show, but the cheaper Wisdom Audio LS4 was the overall winner for me. Not the most attractive speaker you ever saw, but they were quite literally music to my ears.