Australian AV and Audio Show 2014 Reports & Reflections

My wife and I attended the show Saturday afternoon. Being a closed-minded sort of person, I attended the rooms that I hoped / expected would maximise my enjoyment. The following are my observations in no particular order.

Congratulations to Addicted to Audio for laying on much of their product range and almost all their high end gear on demonstration. I didn't get a listen to the Abyss thru the outrageous Woo Monos, but Audeze LCD X and a Cypher Labs tube monolith amp fed by an Anstel Kern hi-res player was a mighty fine combination. Spacious, energetic but smooth. A lot of interest around the demo table(s) with attentive support from the AtA folks.

Year on year, the Pure Music Group put on a great display of gear, sonics and engaging music. This year was no exception. Alternating between an Air Force One turntable (stunning even to digital ears) and an Antipodes Audio audio server, Elektra pre-amp, and Gauder speakers (sorry missed the power amps), the sound was very fine indeed with sensible and considered musical selections. 

Although I didn't stay a long time, I still liked what I heard in the Audio Note room. A late entrant this year, driven by more cost effective products compared to last year, the sound was engaging and just enveloped and drew you in. My sense is that headbangers need not apply, but folks with room placement speaker issues maybe interested in the way the AN speakers are able to be 'stuffed' into room corners. It should be a big plus for some.

This is the third year that I have heard the Kyron Audio gear under show conditions and they continue to shine. The Kronos this year sounded expansive, detailed and pretty balanced in the room. One of the benefits of the dipoles appear to be a presentation that transcends the sweet spot (although it was a cool listening chair!) and delivers a pleasing image and sonics to those in off-centre seating positions. 

I wanted to hear the Brodman room (too busy sadly) and the Telos Audio room (switching technologies when I stuck my head in, but still no empty seats!). 

Overall, I enjoyed the afternoon. We met some new people, caught up with old friends and generally felt comfortable walking the halls and enjoying high quality audio equipment and music in the one location.

Mr Fremer certainly liked/loved the Kronoshttp://www.analogplanet.com/content/kyron-audios-kronos-best-sounding-system-you-will-ever-hear

• Like 1

Light on exhibitors this year.

Addicted to Audio gets my vote for best in show.

The Fremer session was the coolest.

The Liliums didn't captivate me enough.  They are hungry for current.  Definitely a departure from Franco Serblin's roots.

The Kyron have a nice spatial presentation.  I find them a bit analytical & missing "something" in the middle. 

I always like listening to the Brodmann sounding boards.  :) 

Edited by myPal

Audio note room was good fun to listen to and Guru is a font of knowledge. PMG had Gauder Akustiks playing away and as last year IMO one of the show highlights. THe Air Force One TT was an impressive looking piece of engineering but in all honesty I was unable to judge it's sonic abilities under show conditions

When I walked into the Redgum/Equinox suite they had one of my favourites playing in Ry Cooder and I mas mightily impressed with what I heard. Go Aussie

The 2 Telos rooms were quite popular and seats were few. The larger room had the massive Brodmanns but according to one of the room hosts they hooked them up during the set up and due to room limitations they sounded crap. So they unplugged them. The other room had a couple of smaller Brodmanns and the smallish stand mount sounded mighty impressive. The Head man was out from Austria and played an excellent piece of classical music that showcased the features very well.

Addicted to Audio were their usual helpful self and I was able to listen to many set ups. Abyss Electrostatics at 6.5k matched to the outrageous looking Woo Monoblocks(which I dared not ask the price) was excellent. Stax SR009 matched to the Blue Heaven (I think it was called that?) was sublime and if I had the coin I would definitely bite the bullet

Could go on and on but I am sure others will complete the picture

BTW I know some people have been a bit down on the reduced number of exhibitors however IMO it is still well worth attending. The fascinating, entertaining and quite funny TT cartridge masterclass put on by Michael Fremer would make it worthwhile by itself to attend

• Like 1

Audio note room was good fun to listen to and Guru is a font of knowledge. PMG had Gauder Akustiks playing away and as last year IMO one of the show highlights. THe Air Force One TT was an impressive looking piece of engineering but in all honesty I was unable to judge it's sonic abilities under show conditions

When I walked into the Redgum/Equinox suite they had one of my favourites playing in Ry Cooder and I mas mightily impressed with what I heard. Go Aussie

The 2 Telos rooms were quite popular and seats were few. The larger room had the massive Brodmanns but according to one of the room hosts they hooked them up during the set up and due to room limitations they sounded crap. So they unplugged them. The other room had a couple of smaller Brodmanns and the smallish stand mount sounded mighty impressive. The Head man was out from Austria and played an excellent piece of classical music that showcased the features very well.

Addicted to Audio were their usual helpful self and I was able to listen to many set ups. Abyss Electrostatics at 6.5k matched to the outrageous looking Woo Monoblocks(which I dared not ask the price) was excellent. Stax SR009 matched to the Blue Heaven (I think it was called that?) was sublime and if I had the coin I would definitely bite the bullet

Could go on and on but I am sure others will complete the picture

BTW I know some people have been a bit down on the reduced number of exhibitors however IMO it is still well worth attending. The fascinating, entertaining and quite funny TT cartridge masterclass put on by Michael Fremer would make it worthwhile by itself to attend

What really is disappointing and I fail to understand is that SQ is subjective as objective. What sounds good to someone may not be Agree with someone else. When you cart over $500k of product into a room and then decide that it sound crap, says a lot about the product and your personal opinion because not all purchases are going into an ideal environment, those rooms are standard rooms that will be the same size and shape as any other rooms in a standard house. To not demo a speaker in a show environment is a failure in marketing of the product itself. People gave up there time to come to these environment to audition the best you have, to let a speaker just sit there idle and refused to demo it on request says a lot about that product. They know that some rooms aren't ideal, and they had at least a few days to go in there, assess the SQ and make changes but they didn't, instead chose the easy way out and the usual excuse. "This room doesn't do it justice" I coped a few products like this, if I just wanted to see a product and not auditioned it, I get on the internet or buy a magazine! Totally disappointed when they refuse to demo it in a show environment, only excuse I would accept is if something failed like a fuse blew!

BTW, the Abyss rig is estimated at $60K. The Stax 009 was totally disappointing with the materials played, unfortunately they decided not let me play my digital files so I couldn't judge the product.

Edited by pchan
  • Like 1

It was good to meet a few SNAers yesterday for the first time. Great to catch up with Lee [Luc] as we'd corresponded and spoken on the phone but had not met in person. Also good to meet Ken Stuart albeit in the bar at the end of the day, where we were all gouged with the price of the beer....................the Waterside Hotel was a much better venue for both the beer and the tucker! :thumb:

It's a pity a few of those Sydney SNAers didn't bother to say hello though!..............must be snobs I guess! :D

I only took a few pics all day and they were all in the Fremer masterclass, which was funny and informative from a real character in this game.

Here's Fremer and sorry about the quality of the pic.

post-105039-0-24637400-1413665847_thumb.

A few SNA miscreants waiting for Fremer to start up.............................

post-105039-0-45820300-1413665921_thumb.

...................and a couple more we ran into early.

post-105039-0-78771900-1413665996_thumb.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

What really is disappointing and I fail to understand is that SQ is subjective as objective. What sounds good to someone may not be Agree with someone else. When you cart over $500k of product into a room and then decide that it sound crap, says a lot about the product and your personal opinion because not all purchases are going into an ideal environment, those rooms are standard rooms that will be the same size and shape as any other rooms in a standard house. To not demo a speaker in a show environment is a failure in marketing of the product itself. People gave up there time to come to these environment to audition the best you have, to let a speaker just sit there idle and refused to demo it on request says a lot about that product. They know that some rooms aren't ideal, and they had at least a few days to go in there, assess the SQ and make changes but they didn't, instead chose the easy way out and the usual excuse. "This room doesn't do it justice" I coped a few products like this, if I just wanted to see a product and not auditioned it, I get on the internet or buy a magazine! Totally disappointed when they refuse to demo it in a show environment, only excuse I would accept is if something failed like a fuse blew!

BTW, the Abyss rig is estimated at $60K. The Stax 009 was totally disappointing with the materials played, unfortunately they decided not let me play my digital files so I couldn't judge the product.

By the time you get your boxes out of the room you'd be lucky to have 4 hours to tune the system. I guess the difficulty is that you only get once chance to make a first impression and seeing as the other Brodmanns (in fact about 4 pairs from memory) were playing in the room next door, I think they made the right decision to stick with the German Physiks. 

• Like 2

By the time you get your boxes out of the room you'd be lucky to have 4 hours to tune the system. I guess the difficulty is that you only get once chance to make a first impression and seeing as the other Brodmanns (in fact about 4 pairs from memory) were playing in the room next door, I think they made the right decision to stick with the German Physiks. 

Easy decision really...why damage the reputation of a VERY good speaker when other options are available...especially as its little brothers were up & running next door...

• Like 1

How dare they not let you listen to their flagship speaksers in a sub-optimal setting...

It reminds me of the time they wouldn't allow me to test drive a 911 Sport Classic down the narrow back streets of Collingwood. They were standard sized roads, too!

That was a great Michael Fremer session.

Thanks Keith for photographing me!!!

An additional comment about the DEQX room.

Bill regularly switched the DEQX in and out and the result was not at all subtle!!!

I was particularly taken by the very friendly atmosphere, the high quality of the sound and the attractiveness of the presentations.

To anyone contemplating going today, ...

Go!!

You will be sorry if you miss it.

Bruce

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the show but not flying in and out for the day, it was just too exhausting by the time i got back to Sydney.

Some of those rooms i enjoyed the most were also ones i wasn't expecting to. Raidho for instance. My only experience of them has been photos and they have always looked like they would be analytical and top end heavy but the D1s were gorgeous, really easy to listen to, involving, toe tapping all that kind of stuff. 

The Kyron room was a stunner. The big Kyrons at the last 2 shows left me cold but the Kronos are superb. I would dearly love to hear them with a good turntable rathe than a laptop as no matter how good the file is i just can't get in to music on a computer.

I finally got to hear the Brodmanns with music that wasn't classical and the larger of the 2 floorstanders in the 2nd Telos room were really good with the bluesy stuff they were playing, full bodied and rich and there is the suggestion there that they would excel at rock music. Alas after the blues the classical went back on. All well and good but i'm sure a lot of people come away with the impression that Brodmann can only reproduce 1 genre of music which is a great shame. I hope one day to hear them with some Led Zep or Dream Theater.

The other Telos room was stinking hot and full to bursting every time i tried to get in so never did.

Legend's Tikandi Grands are worth following up. Their room was difficult but still the speakers excelled. Build quality of the speakers was top notch and i reckon they wouldn't dominate a room. Again though, the source being a laptop was disappointing. AC/DCs Hells Bells sounded bloody awful and i nearly left but then Solid Rock by Goanna was played and it was brilliant which made me think that the AC/DC track was some awful MP3 as my Back In Black lps sound nothing like that at home.

The big Sonus Fabers were exciting, not sure about the Macintosh turntable though.

The Tech Das turntable in the Pure Music room did nothing for me, it sounded etched and unnatural to my ears. I don't think it was the speakers as i'm sure Pure Music used the same Gauder Akustik last year but with a Thales tt and Phasemation cartridge it was sublime.

I'm sure there's more that will come to me during the day as my memory kicks in better. The number of exhibitors was down but for me that was no big deal as there still wasn't enough time to give everything a good listen. I will miss the show not being in Melbourne next year as it makes it a treat to travel down and Melbourne if only for the day is still a wonderful town.

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 2

No problems Keith.

Just joking.

I don't mind filling up the photo space!

Yes it was a great show.

I think that it was the best of the recent Melbourne shows.

Very high standard, great atmosphere and something for everybody.

Bruce

.... if I just wanted to see a product and not auditioned it, I get on the internet or buy a magazine! Totally disappointed when they refuse to demo it in a show environment, only excuse I would accept is if something failed like a fuse blew!

I know what you mean about the disappointment when a top line product is not wired up. Last year the KEF Blades were just on show, and clearly the premium product in that particular room. I was not happy with that.

• Like 1

How dare they not let you listen to their flagship speaksers in a sub-optimal setting...

Yes it's logical..... but not many of those rooms would have been optimal, and if all exhibitors took the same approach it would have been a quiet show.

My feelopinions from Saturday’s excursion. Apologies if I’m repeating others….

1.     Others have pointed this out before but the music and willingness to experiment and invite selections was again very disappointing this year. I don’t think I actually heard Diana Krall but a lot of similar hyper-produced jazz-lite lady singers. The tablas also made a surprise showing in two rooms to show off low-powered and horn speaker systems.

2.     A lot of decent kit wasn’t given a proper showing especially in the rooms just past registration eg. McIntosh, Jamo, Rega, Audio Research. Some of that gear could really sing given the right environment.

3.     The Kyron setup was fantastic, the first real high-end I heard as I ascended to heaven (the fourth floor). Maybe a bit of restyling and box seperation on those amp/pre/dac sheds wouldn’t go astray. Pure Music Group was engaging and played great music as always.

4.     The Naim Statement? Wow. What misfire. Maybe it was the Naim 15K speakers with a 300K system that let this down. Boxed-in, not musical, over-engineered, and soulless. This year’s ‘HI FI!’ winner for me. Last year it was the PMC/Sim Audio combo.

5.     Telos on the fourth floor were the winners of the show. By a long way . The Brodmanns at the end of the corridor sounded fantastic playing folk music, and the gentleman kindly asked what music we’d like to hear. Next door the blend of some mega turnable, a pair of massive 100+ watt Class A amps and Kaiser speakers blew me away. The system skipped from Lou Reed to Beethoven while conveying emotion unmatched by anything I’ve heard . Now, how to obtain those 50K Kaisers…

6.Congrats to the organisers and the community for putting it on!

• Like 2

that mega turntable is over $200k.

that is where the magic lies....

No doubt it was creating magic, but I  preferred the Kaisers over the German Physiks with the same front end and amplification.

Lou Reed's 'New York' was sooo much fun. 

• Like 1

Others have pointed this out before but the music and willingness to experiment and invite selections was again very disappointing this year. I don’t think I actually heard Diana Krall but a lot of similar hyper-produced jazz-lite lady singers. 

Some of the music was dreadful but it is easy to forget that people have such different tastes. I walked into one room where they were playing a cd of some godawful percussion and single voice music and i thought "Do people really sit at home and listen to this?" At the end of the track the rep for the room took the cd out and gave it back to a gentleman in the audience whose cd it was so clearly some people do sit at home and listen to music that i think is awful.

• Like 2

No doubt it was creating magic, but I  preferred the Kaisers over the German Physiks with the same front end and amplification.

Lou Reed's 'New York' was sooo much fun. 

Yes I have that album and it has never sounded better. I heard it through the Kaisers. The TT in that room was a Continuum Caliburn I believe. I had never seen one before

In regards to the issue of not running products due to room conditions.

TBH I thought the Brodmann people were within their rights to "pull the pin" I have spoken to several people who attended the night at "The Burwood Centre" and all the comments have been very positive with those self same speakers. I think the issue was different with the KEF Blades because AFAIK there never was any intention of showing them as they seemed to be set up as some sort of static display on a plinth.

However YMMV on this issue , so each to their own :)

• Like 1

I went yesterday and thought it was excellent.  Smaller this year but this meant easier to get a primo seat, and could spend more time in front of the gear I enjoyed.  On that, i enjoyed a lot of the set-ups, excellent to see Aussies with a very strong showing.

System of the show - for me was the Brodmann room.  I remember I really liked them last year as well.  The smaller pair just blew me away, and then the larger pair were phenomenal.  The piano/orchestral pieces were superb, but that's not my bag, so I very much enjoyed it when the Headman played a blues piece where I could envisage being right there in the smoky club on Bourbon Street.  That was enough to place them on the top of my "wanted" list, I'll be having a follow up critical listening session when the time's right.

Best value for the show - again, for me, was the Osborn Epitome Tower Reference coupled with the AM 805 SE monos and the Droplet.  For a total system at about $25k was just superb value for money.  It makes it so hard to go past...

• Like 1

It's really the wrong marketing strategy in a tiny market niche, if your not going demo them don't bring them. Most homes will have similar size rooms and if you have cart those speakers around the world already and knew that it needed correction, do it. One room that showed it wanted business is the Magnaplanar room. Bill goes out of his way to set it up with and without DEQX so you can sample the difference, he did this last year as well.

Also totally disappointed was the B & W 802. I had 2 friends who fond of B &W both were devastated to be told " the room doesn't do it justice, go to Tivoli or Clef". Have you been to the rooms at Tivoli where they demo B&W 802? I have and I can tell you it's smaller the room the had it in, all they need was to correct it! See my point!