Australian AV and Audio Show 2014 Reports & Reflections

I have to say, the show is very light - both attendees and exhibitors!

Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree - very different atmosphere to previous years unfortunately, so far at least.  I get the feeling that this could be the last in this series - hopefully that's me just being pessimistic. :(

After a beaut lunch with David and co, I decided on a very leisurely approach and didn't even bother taking a camera into the show.  So far, I'm enjoying it despite, or maybe because of, the reduced crowds.  I spent the afternoon sitting back soaking up the music in just 3 rooms for up to an hour each.  Kyron, Devialet (demo of S.A.M.S.), and Raidho were all very convincing and well worth a serious listen.  I was hoping the Raido D1's wouldn't be as exxy as they inevitably were!

Hopefully, attendances will pick up tomorrow, at least enough to give the right atmosphere without overcrowding. :thumb: 

• Like 2

Amazing really,

(By way of generalisation) the overweight over-forty male comes to not expect that there are realms and horizons beyond more of the same overweight over-forties males, methinks.

Meantimes the photos on this thread tell me there are hifi realms of which I can only dream. 

Shiny.  Very shiny. 

Which is the shiniest I wonder?

• Like 1

(By way of generalisation) the overweight over-forty male comes to not expect that there are realms and horizons beyond more of the same overweight over-forties males, methinks.

Meantimes the photos on this thread tell me there are hifi realms of which I can only dream. 

Shiny.  Very shiny. 

Which is the shiniest I wonder?

An enigma wrapped inside of a conundrum

PMG room was drool-worthy. Also enjoyed legend, telos, Kyron and raido. Hated most of the music on demo - was not to my taste (seriously - Lana del rey to show devialet speaker correction?)

:edit- blasted auto-correct!

Edited by krebetman

PMG room was drool-worthy. Also enjoyed legend, telos, Karen and raido. Hated most of the music on demo was not to my taste (seriously - Lana del reg to show devialet speaker correction?)

Ah the old chestnut about the music.

Took until Post 39, not bad

(just having a laff, because this is always a perennial favourite) :)

Edited by holdencaulfield2007
  • Like 2

A very eclectic selection was being played in the Raidho room after about 7.00pm. :thumb:

I did like the guys at Legend simply asking what I wanted to listen to.

Oh, Mike Fremmer's session was excellent

ereja8yq.jpg

Edited by krebetman
  • Like 3

• Volunteer

The 2 stars of the show for me, one of them had me reaching for my credit card.

Alas this is the only one in the Southern Hemisphere and it's leaving the country on Sunday.

The AirForceOne looked strong enough for me to sit on and not disturb the music. A beast.

So you bought the AirForceOne ?!

I did like the guys at Legend simply asking what I wanted to listen to.

Oh, Mike Fremmer's session was excellent

ereja8yq.jpg

what is the mike fremmer session ? I would have probably just attended just to hear what he had to say :)

luck would have it though that weekend is getting pretty chockers ! so very unlikely going to get to the show :(

Fremmer did his "how to set up your cart and arm" demo. Check YouTube for sessions he has done at other shows

thanks for that, would be good see in person but yeah for us not able to attend good to know he does the same on youtube :)

what is the mike fremmer session ? I would have probably just attended just to hear what he had to say :)

luck would have it though that weekend is getting pretty chockers ! so very unlikely going to get to the show :(

C'mon "al" clear the schedule. The show got announced a year ago. ;)

Just got home from the show. There seemed to be way less exhibitors this year. Sad really but that's the way it goes. I thought the standard of sound in the rooms was pretty good this year. Impressed by the DeVore Orangutans driven by a monstrous LM Class A 20 watt tube amp. Great sound even without the benefit of DEQX. The Audio Physic speakers in the Telos room were very impressive but being omni-directional, I didn't like the lack of pinpoint imaging. The smaller Brodmanns were gorgeous and at the other end of the scale, the Yamaha Soavos sounded much better than their price would suggest. The Kyron room was very good not least for the tall brunette hanging around.

The music was blah... either plinky plinky or "Audiophile" jazz....not a lot of risks taken there.

Mikey Fremers session was worth the price of admission alone. he's the HiFi Rockstar. Learned a lot from him...looks like I'll be buying a protractor soon!

Good to catch up with Marc and Stuart

I took some shots but they are crappy iphone shots.

Cheers

M

• Like 2

Agree with Marc, very light on distributors compared to last year. I'm sure there'll be a few more attendees tomorrow though.

Caught up with Mr Krispy... Almost incognito in the Klapp room! No display this year though, alas.

Other good sounds from PMG - drool left on the AirForce1. Berlina speakers just a little coloured in the bass for my taste. Kyron room was very nice and airy sounding (dipoles good for that), but seemed a touch light in the nether regions (dipoles...). Loved the Raidho D1s imaging and effortless musical ease but wished for more bass again. Osborne and Legend rooms were interesting. Brodman's were... Not sure... Unique sound in that room, with some funky electronics.

thanks for that, would be good see in person but yeah for us not able to attend good to know he does the same on youtube :)

I (tried) to take a video of this session however the iPad ran out of memory after the 30min mark so couldn't capture it all however if there's interest I might be able to post what I have.

Just got home from the show. There seemed to be way less exhibitors this year. Sad really but that's the way it goes. I thought the standard of sound in the rooms was pretty good this year. Impressed by the DeVore Orangutans driven by a monstrous LM Class A 20 watt tube amp. Great sound even without the benefit of DEQX. The Audio Physic speakers in the Telos room were very impressive but being omni-directional, I didn't like the lack of pinpoint imaging. 

Cheers

M

The speakers in the Telos room were German Physiks, not Audio Physic. 

I really enjoyed this room, especially when using the Continuum turntable as source. Mikey Fremer spent quite a lot of time there and really seemed to enjoy himself.

Like others I thought it was a poor turn out compared to previous years. Less exhibitors and didn't seem as many punters. I have a 2 day ticket but I am contemplating not going for the second day.

Observations.

Loved the Raidho D1's. They just sound right. But wonder about the dynamic capability. Shame about the price.

The PMG room was good. The Air Force 1 with the (Lyra Etna?) had amazing bass and just seemed to be functionally brilliant in the way it works etc. And the Gauder Acoustic speakers continue to impress me.

The kryon room sounded fine

The legend room with DEQX was also sounding impressive but I couldn't get a seat at the time. Worth another try.

DeVore Orangutans driven by a LM Class A 20 watt tube amp were sounding very sweet indeed. Nice. The amp is very lust worthy.

I tried the B&w 802's in the convoy room. Terrible room with lots of noise but they actually sounded as good as I have ever heard the 802's. Given that every time I have heard them in the past I have thought they were dead ordinary this time I thought they were ok. Still yawn but ok.

The Naim super system was good if you like that kind of sound

The German physic in the Telos room sounded good but the room was getting seriously warm. I give Telos top points for effort. The caliburn TT and other amps must have been a dog to drag to the venue and setup.

Didn't like the little Brodman in the other room.

Couldn't warm to the devaliet setup. Just ... I dunno didn't grab me.

Will post some pic below

Edited by Dr Nick
  • Like 2

The speakers in the Telos room were German Physiks, not Audio Physic.

I really enjoyed this room, especially when using the Continuum turntable as source. Mikey Fremer spent quite a lot of time there and really seemed to enjoy himself.

sorry. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the show was not as good as previous years. But still worth going too.

Highlights: Kyron and PMG rooms - if only I had the $$$$$$. The Sonus Faber Liliums were eye candy at its best. Stunning. No idea what they sound like  :P Value for money - Richter Speakers!