Iphone 6 - Sonics better ?

OK, it's a phone, I get that, but lots of us use the on the move and they do a pretty good job compared to what we've had access to in the past (yes I had a walkman)

I just got my iPhone 6 replacing my iPhone 5. I've noticed a considerable improvement in the audio. I don't remember reading anything about the changes in the 6 although it may have been buried in the details.

Sounds like there's been internal DAC work. It's more open and alive sounding. Separation is miles better.

Honestly i wasn't expecting a change although it's logical they'd rework stuff after two years. I was taken aback by the magnitude though.

Anyone else noticed anything ?

Edited by Peter_C_Ross
  • Like 1

I also got the 128Gbyte model, but haven't changed my library as yet, so I'm still thinking it's in the phone itself, and I agree with the software comment above, and that of itself is probably a function of the processors ability to do more and the software therefore being able to ask more from it.

I've just been headphone demo'ing at Tivoli and by crikey even Spotify (premium) sounds fantastic on the iPhone 6... on cans that the iPhone drives well like the B&W and Sennheiser ranges. 1st track of the new Missy Higgins album has some serious bass so makes a nice demo track. Great covers album by the way, just annoyed the vinyl has been delayed...

• 1 month later...

I find this curious - since having upgrade from an iPhone 4S to an AK 120 II and let's just say, the upgrade is minimal imho (the latter is better, but not by a huge lot).  You guys make it sound like the iPhone 6 is the next holy coming.  If the 4S is roughly equivalent to the 5 etc, then by logic, the 6 should be outperforming the AK 120 II.  

I don't think so Tim.  

it's funny how people have audio hallucinations.

We said significant and noticeably improved. Not a holy grail. Let's just say I don't feel the need for a premium player when work supplies this. I also think sound is better than my final generation iPod classic which lives in the car. It's not night and day though, there hasn't been a veil lifted either[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We said significant and noticeably improved. Not a holy grail. Let's just say I don't feel the need for a premium player when work supplies this. I also think sound is better than my final generation iPod classic which lives in the car. It's not night and day though, there hasn't been a veil lifted either[emoji12]

but that's the thing I was driving at - comparing my 4s to my new AK 120 II, I wouldn't mark it as a significant and noticeably improved.  It's very subtly improved.  No more and no less.  So I'm sort of giggling at people saying the 6 is a significant and noticeable improvement.  

But either way, the iPhone 6 is still crap in that it doesn't support flac format or a microSD card...or a standard industry norm USB interface cable connector...but hey, it's iLockin isn't it...

It does play flac, there are any number of apps to do it. Not that there is any need to, ALAC is also lossless and open source. But hey give a man to hate and he will. Do you see me whining about my home audio devices that don't support ALAC?

Plenty of devices have specific chargers, all my Nokia and Sony phones of the past did. I've got 128gb, don't need any sd cards

It does play flac, there are any number of apps to do it. Not that there is any need to, ALAC is also lossless and open source. But hey give a man to hate and he will. Do you see me whining about my home audio devices that don't support ALAC?

Plenty of devices have specific chargers, all my Nokia and Sony phones of the past did. I've got 128gb, don't need any sd cards

pretty much every phone on the market today (other than Apple's) supports industry standard micro USB to USB.  Apple has never liked standards.  

does it support flac out of the box?  No.  

ALAC - why didn't Apple use flac?  oh wait, cos Apple doesn't like standards...

128GB is nowhere near enough for most audiophiles who want to carry the majority of their digital catalogue around.  Hell, I have a small CD collection (around 900 CDs) and I just manage to fit all of them on the AK 120 II which has built in 128GB storage, and an additional 128 GB micro SD card.  Again, pretty much every other phone (android based) supports storage extension.  It ain't rocket science, and it isn't hard for Apple to do.  They just don't want to do it...

The iPhone still doesn't support HD music (I personally think HD music is a crock of BS, but hey, some people swear by it).  

Just because you're happy to not whine about devices that don't support ALAC doesn't mean I can't criticise Apple products on what I perceive as design omission and issues.  I don't have to like Apple.  It also means I shouldn't be gagged into not speaking out about my dislike of their products or modus operandi.  I must have touched a nerve  ;-)

@@valvelover

It would seem that you have had a bad experience with an Apple product that has left you seriously wounded.

There are plenty of other places to vent on the Apple experience. This thread is to discuss the improvement in sound from the iPhone 5 to the 6.

Unless you have experienced this upgrade, I suggest that you leave this thread to those that have and are interested in others impressions.

@@valvelover

[moderator post] can I suggest we stick any sonic differences /experience specifically with the iPhone 6 which is what this thread is about, and leave out the usual anti apple or whatever any thread mentioning apple tends to attract. Suggest create another thread on that in the off topic area if want to discuss specifically and leave this thread to people wanting to discuss their audio experience with regard the iPhone 6[end moderator post]

• Like 1

I also noticed but put it down to getting the 128gb model and now having room for all my files in ALAC rather than down sampling.

I've just been headphone demo'ing at Tivoli and by crikey even Spotify (premium) sounds fantastic on the iPhone 6... on cans that the iPhone drives well like the B&W and Sennheiser ranges. 1st track of the new Missy Higgins album has some serious bass so makes a nice demo track. Great covers album by the way, just annoyed the vinyl has been delayed...

I only play wav files from my iphone, always.

It's still a lot of tracks and everytime you plug it into the computer to charge/backup, it only takes a few minutes to change some songs.

As for headphones, I was somewhat disappointed with my MS-1s through my good gear because of the pronounced bass............but through the iphone 5, they are fantastic!

(I only discovered this last week)

• 4 weeks later...

And I thought this thread was talking about improved sonics when used as a phone! :(   If it sounded better at both ends on phone calls, that would be a plus for me.

I have an Ipod classic in the car with AIFF files for music when there's nothing good on the radio and I don't tend to store music on the phone.  A few thousand pics, but no music.  It upset the salesguy when he tuned my phone into my car to demo the sound system - "obviously you're not into music" was his response.  "Obviously", I replied, marveling at his powers of perception.

But he did find one track and it told him all he thought he needed to know about my taste in music.  Nancy Sinatra's "These boots are made for walking" has been my ring tone ever since I had a phone that allowed a choice.  I'm so used to it now that any change would probably mean I'd stop answering phone calls.  ;)

I got an iphone6 last week after having owned an iphone4. Not only does it do a better job of driving my HD-650s, but it also sounds better when connected to my Hugo via bluetooth. I spent some time comparing, as I had never been happy with the bluetooth connection to the Hugo via the iphone4. :thumb:

I've always been a little curious into how bluetooth transmits data, so I just spent some time checking it out.

Bluetooth transmits data digitally, typically with its own compression algorithm (akin to mp3/aac, but a different implementation). This means the phone's just pushing digital info, and any improvement in quality is going to be coming from what the software is doing to the digital info before pushing it out to bluetooth. Improved hardware in the phone shouldn't be playing a part here.

Alternatively, improvement is coming from using a more recent bluetooth codec to push the data with less loss.

Edited by PWilson
  • Like 1