Sign in to follow this  
KrashDekki

Thoughts on 70's Pioneer Spec Gear.

Hi All,

So my thought's are to splurge close to $1500 on some Vintage 70's Pioneer Spec Gear. (Spec 1 Pre/Spec 2 Power).

My questions are:

Am I crazy ?

Is that a fair price ?

Will it be worth it ?

Would my money be better spent on somthing else ? Newer ?

I know $1500 would get me somthing very decent of much newer status. But the look of this gear is simply Gorgeous, Unfortunately I can only base this purchase on looks, But I have an SA-8500 which is probably similar in terms of sound.

Please let me know your thoughts.

$1500 for both seems a nice deal, depending on condition. I've seen Spec 2 power amps fetch nearly $1.2k by itself.

I thought so, WIll it be a step up from the old' SA-8500 ?

Not crazy at all.....especially if you can find some history of the units.

I'd buy, if you don't like there is a ready market for this equipment so moving them on for what you payed should not be an issue.

I run a bunch of restored Rotel gear of similar vintage and i'm absolutely loving it!! Total cost so far on the units ( buying, resto work etc ) about $6K

Nothing I know of for that kind of money comes close.

IMO go for it....its great fun!! :thumb:

ATB Tase

Not crazy at all.....especially if you can find some history of the units.

I'd buy, if you don't like there is a ready market for this equipment so moving them on for what you payed should not be an issue.

I run a bunch of restored Rotel gear of similar vintage and i'm absolutely loving it!! Total cost so far on the units ( buying, resto work etc ) about $6K

Nothing I know of for that kind of money comes close.

IMO go for it....its great fun!! :thumb:

ATB Tase

Thanks for re-assuring me Tase of my Sanity.

Even with out hearing most Vintage gear, based on looks you know your in for something special with each step to the top of the vintage tree.

If you go ahead with this, please post some pics when you get it all set up.

Photo's will be on the cards for sure if I go through with the purchase.

Though my question still lies,

$1500 gets a lot of amp (Vintage or newer second hand)

Example the Accuphase advertised here on SNA's Classifieds for $1400 - For me Accuphase I would expect to be out of my price range Regadless. Or even Xindak Mono Blocks (Around the $1500 mark).. Would these be considered better buys ?

Or Pioneers Top of the Line Spec series speaks for it'self as a worthy competitor for my hard earned.

Thanks again Guys !

Photo's will be on the cards for sure if I go through with the purchase.

Though my question still lies,

$1500 gets a lot of amp (Vintage or newer second hand)

Example the Accuphase advertised here on SNA's Classifieds for $1400 - For me Accuphase I would expect to be out of my price range Regadless. Or even Xindak Mono Blocks (Around the $1500 mark).. Would these be considered better buys ?

Or Pioneers Top of the Line Spec series speaks for it'self as a worthy competitor for my hard earned.

Thanks again Guys !

You pay's ya money......you make ya choice.....

What will it be ....a vintage fully restored and documented Monaro/Falcon.......or the latest GTS/GT.??

Same rules apply IMO

You pay's ya money......you make ya choice.....

What will it be ....a vintage fully restored and documented Monaro/Falcon.......or the latest GTS/GT.??

Same rules apply IMO

Usually my Judgement leaves me with the Hyundai Getz.....

Reason for me asking for more opinions: The opportunity to spend $1500 on some kit doesn't come often (Actually never) so I want to grasp the moment knowing I am not gonna end up with the Hyundai...

If I gave you $1500 and the choice of:

A) Accuphase E303X (Late 70's $1400 SNA)

B)Rotel RB1090 (Early 2000's $1400 eBay Average Price)

C)Pioneer Spec 1 Pre + SPec 2 Power (Mid 70's $1450 Local seller)

D)Perreaux PMF3150 (Late 80's $800 Gumtree)

- Which would you possibly choose based on opinions and internet specs.

You don't have to answer, Just keeping you guessing..

Cheers

I have a similar question regarding my fathers Pioneer SA 810.  It has been untouched since purchased in the late 60's or early 70's.  It may need some tubes to return to it's former glory.  Are these amps desirable/viable for refurb?

Skasey

Are you after looks or Sound Quality (SQ) or nostalgia?

As above you makes your choice and you pay the money

I remember when the Spec 1 & 2 were released around 77-78, the Spec 1 was designed for the western market as a lower cost version [1/3 the price] of the Japan Only exclusive C3 pre.

From memory I think the Spec 12 cost around Aus $750 at the time.

The Spec 2 was similarly a lower cost version of the Japan only C3/C4/C5 power amp's, price was about Aus $100 more than the pre at the time.

These units were usually sold with the Pioneer HPM-150 speakers.[A matter of taste, not mine ]

For $1500 the build quality is certainly better than anything you would get today for the same price.

The Spec 1 pre wouldn't sound as clean not as extended as today's unit's, plus being designed before CD, you can suffer problems with sending it a too hot a signal that it overloads, even if using the Tape inputs [you could have one of the inputs modded at minimum expense to sort this without damaging the unit or lowering it's value ]

The Spec 2 Amp , if working properly, should sound fuller and with more body than most of today's thin sounding [lower to middle budget ranked power amp's ] as it's got a nice big power supply :)

I'd advise that if you purchase them, I'd definitely have a tech check the capacitors on the power amp, as I imagine they could be well out of spec after all these years.

You might as well get the Pre checked at the same time, as it's inevitable that some components would of drifted out of spec [get the Tape inputs sorted for CD / DVD at the same time ]

Once sorted you could have a Pre / Power combo at a sound and build quality that would cost you at a hell of a lot more than $1500, more like $7k

Stick your head in at AK also. Big spec following over there. There will be heaps of information in the Pioneer Audio Forum.....

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Thanks Fez,

I checked out that link, and searched AK further and sourced plenty of info on this Spec Gear..

Cheers !

I remember when the Spec 1 & 2 were released around 77-78, the Spec 1 was designed for the western market as a lower cost version [1/3 the price] of the Japan Only exclusive C3 pre.

From memory I think the Spec 12 cost around Aus $750 at the time.

The Spec 2 was similarly a lower cost version of the Japan only C3/C4/C5 power amp's, price was about Aus $100 more than the pre at the time.

These units were usually sold with the Pioneer HPM-150 speakers.[A matter of taste, not mine ]

For $1500 the build quality is certainly better than anything you would get today for the same price.

The Spec 1 pre wouldn't sound as clean not as extended as today's unit's, plus being designed before CD, you can suffer problems with sending it a too hot a signal that it overloads, even if using the Tape inputs [you could have one of the inputs modded at minimum expense to sort this without damaging the unit or lowering it's value ]

The Spec 2 Amp , if working properly, should sound fuller and with more body than most of today's thin sounding [lower to middle budget ranked power amp's ] as it's got a nice big power supply :)

I'd advise that if you purchase them, I'd definitely have a tech check the capacitors on the power amp, as I imagine they could be well out of spec after all these years.

You might as well get the Pre checked at the same time, as it's inevitable that some components would of drifted out of spec [get the Tape inputs sorted for CD / DVD at the same time ]

Once sorted you could have a Pre / Power combo at a sound and build quality that would cost you at a hell of a lot more than $1500, more like $7k

Thanks Tweaky !!!

You really did put alot of things in to perspective for me about the gear, I would have to be searching for ages to even find a small portion of the info and sense you made.

Have you had these unit's personally if so how did they sound to you ?

I appreciate your response more than you know !!

I've heard them.

But that was when they were first released, and with those HPM-150 speakers, which IMHO sucked, but then again most of the Jap speakers made for the 'Other than Jap' market suffered.

Put it this way.

Nearly any Pioneer, Sansui, Luxman, Hitachi [you'd be surprised HOW good these amps are,most components for other brands were sourced from Hitachi ] ask Zaphod.

The Spec 1 & 2 got reviewed in several HiFi journals at the time, the long defunct Aus HiFi Review gave them a average review, but that was with the HPM-150 used .... so they were crippled from the start [you have to hear these speakers to appreciate how a review of the amps could be tainted] ... most Jap speakers  of this era sounded disjointed- as in each driver stuck out ... the total opposite to what you want ..[Think 80's 90's Infinity speakers - heaps of drivers, all standing out against each other = Expensive Crap ]

To be totally honest, if you can afford say approx another $600-700 tune up cost MAX [depends on Cap replacement = That will be the expensive parts] [Pre CD input mod = cheap] .... BUY THEM!

You won't regret it.....might as well get some nice speaker cable screw terminals put in as well to replace the push plug ones.

When 'In Spec' they sound better than most amps of that era and a lot of todays ....and to be honest, if you keep the receipts of any upgrades etc, you could EASILY sell them at the upgraded price if you find they don't 'Do' it for you ... so it's a easy recommend and a NO LOSE for you.