Power cables - curiosity wins

ARJ

After reading various opinions on StereoNET, I was curious to hear for myself whether, in fact, power cables make any noticeable difference in a system.  I've previously heard the difference that interconnects made in my relatively modest system (Beresford DAC + Roksan Kandy K2 + Vaf i91s), but power cables??  So on Monday I had all of 10 minutes to finally try two different power cables in my system when it was dismantled.

The 2 cables were:
1) the standard generic power cable that came with my Roksan, and
2) an Audio Principe "Signature" power cable

Because of the limited time-frame (we have a new baby!) it was an embarrassingly quick and dirty setup: phone playing 320kbps mp3s files > Roksan > Sennheiser HD580 headphones.

However I was stunned when I heard a definite and repeatable difference between the 2 power cables! The music sounded fine when using the generic power cable, but when the Signature power cable was plugged in the bass was noticeably deeper, the mids were cleaner with more body and the highs were sweeter.  Instead of the music sounding upfront and forward as with the generic power cable, everything seemed to settle back a bit and sound more open, with better separation between the instruments. Even my lovely other half immediately heard a difference.

Lastly, I was finally able to plug in an Isotek Polaris board I bought a while ago, with a second signature cable. While the change wasn't as noticeable, it seemed to accentuate the changes I heard between the 2 cables in a positive way - but will need to wait for another time to do a proper comparison :(

So while not an exhaustive testing by any means, just thought I'd share my experience. Some quick pics (complete with toes):

Power_cable_test_Setup.jpg

Power cable comparison:

cables_close.jpg

Edited by ARJ
Replace Photobucket images
  • Like 5

Had a very similar experience, it was a revelation installing a Polaris and a few Evo3 cables in my system. Does my head in trying to figure out how a 1m power cable can possibly improve the sound when it has traveled trough countless klm's of alloy cable and then had to pass through another 30+ meters of copper via the transformer before it gets chopped diced and stored before becoming a [hopefully stable] DC voltage.

• Like 1

Don't know how it works but it worked for me with some Purist Audio power cables. My mate borrowed them and says there was no change on his system, although he had heard noticeable difference on mine. Is this how we get yes it works/ no it does't arguement? 

Had a very similar experience, it was a revelation installing a Polaris and a few Evo3 cables in my system. Does my head in trying to figure out how a 1m power cable can possibly improve the sound when it has traveled trough countless klm's of alloy cable and then had to pass through another 30+ meters of copper via the transformer before it gets chopped diced and stored before becoming a [hopefully stable] DC voltage.

Exactly! I agree with you and your logic, it shouldn't make a difference. But it does.

Don't know how it works but it worked for me with some Purist Audio power cables. My mate borrowed them and says there was no change on his system, although he had heard noticeable difference on mine. Is this how we get yes it works/ no it does't arguement?

That's interesting, why one system but not another. Maybe headphones help to highlight differences as they remove the sound of the room from the equation? Impossible to say of course. :confused:

There's obviously very strong opinions held by both the Yes and No camps; I wasn't expecting to hear that much of a difference - until I heard it with my own ears.

Edited by ARJ

I'm with Earle ... :popcorn:

Wait till @@Simon Wright hears about/sees this...he'll go ballistic!  As will his henchmen, frothing at the mouth type hearsay I'm afraid.

Geez imagine if you bought 'Tubes' into the convo as well...

Nurse!

*Pass the bloody popcorn Earle, yes it's bacon flavoured, yes you bought it but ....just gimme some ya bugger.

I'm with Earle ... :popcorn:

Wait till @@Simon Wright hears about/sees this...he'll go ballistic!  As will his henchmen, frothing at the mouth type hearsay I'm afraid.

Geez imagine if you bought 'Tubes' into the convo as well...

Nurse!

*Pass the bloody popcorn Earle, yes it's bacon flavoured, yes you bought it but ....just gimme some ya bugger.

Oh geez!

You said the SW words :angry:  :ban: 

:P

Yup, @ .

I'm a goner fer sure.

Actually @@Simon Wright should front up to our Yum-cha day Friday week and not only shout the table(possibly a distilled water would do...) but discuss the position he's coming from.

At the very least I'd like to congratulate him on the use of proper capital letters in his name here at SNA or discuss the proper placement of power cables. :party 

WD that man!

Oh, I'm just having a dig :)  I'm glad he got the home Net experience down to a good thing rather than a Telstra f.lucked thing via SingTel and various others.

but he could come to the Yum cha all the same and talk about power cables. :cool:

Yes, I'm looking forward to these reds...have heard a lot about them...AND him mind you.

@@Telecine informs me that @@djb does not stint went it comes to SNA friends, he drags out the ones that Halliday and Huon Hook drool over apparently...

• Like 1

Yes, I'm looking forward to these reds...have heard a lot about them...AND him mind you.

@@Telecine informs me that @@djb does not stint went it comes to SNA friends, he drags out the ones that Halliday and Huon Hook drool over apparently...

Maybe he will drag out that Mythical Merlot from the Sideways movie?

Edited by holdencaulfield2007
  • Like 1

I had a similar experience when putting the Polaris power board in my 2ch system. Thinking about sneaking one into the HT system's important components when I get a chance

That was a good movie :)  and what gave it away that I don't drink Merlot?

No Sir, that was a great movie.. I might have to dig that tonight as swmbo is out and I have a nice Wirra Wirra Church Block sitting in the cupboard. Shhhh, it's got Merlot in it ;)