Sign in to follow this  
andyr

'SkeletaLinn' v2 ...

I have just started the build of SkeletaLinn v2, as @@djb has committed to buy v1 - provided I fit his 12" SME arm and one other (9" arm) which he has acquired. :)

So I thought people may be interested in seeing pics of the progressive build.  After 3 days work, I have produced the basic chassis - see the first 2 pics showing the v1 chassis and then the new v2 chassis.  I wasn't sure whether I should open this new thread ... or post under "The ultimate hack job" - but, as this is TT-related:

1. I thought it was more appropriate to post here, and
  2. The SkeletaLinn v1 thread was here, too. ;)

The difference between v1 & v2 is simply a matter of me moving the location of the LH spring away from the bearing so that, as near as I can manage, there is equal weight on each spring (ie. equal compression) - given the differing weights of the platter and the 2 arms.  With v1, the LH spring was too close to the bearing - so there was too much weight on the LH spring ... so much so that I had a spring made up which is 30% stiffer than a standard Linn spring.  (With this spring in place, there are no issues with the relative compression of each spring and getting the platter level - as far as I can judge in that nobody who has come round to listen in the last year has ever commented that there "was something wrong"! :P )

Achieving equal weighting would be ideal - and certainly better than what Linn achieve :P ; I have not been able to do this exactly but, by spending yesterday afternoon measuring spring compression when I had "things" approximating the weight of:

• the bearing + inner platter + outer platter @ 3,830gm
  • the "back" arm (Magnepan Unitrac) @ ~450gm, and
  • the main arm (Duc's Univector) @ ~750gm

... and moving the position of the bearing around - I was able to get a pretty good result. :)  The 3rd pic shows the piece of ply I used to simulate the piece of 6mm aluminium sheet which you can see in place in pic #1, which supports the bearing.  In pic #3, you can see how I was able to get the geometry right, of the distance the centre of the bearing has to be from each arm pillar centre (the 'strings' are dental tape! ;) ).  I used a 3.5Kg dumbbell on the ply sheet (plus a couple of squares of lead sheet) to simulate the weight of the bearing & platters, and plastic soup canisters filled with lead shot for the arm weights.

The springs are located under each apex of the triangular chassis; the 'problem' was ... where to locate the nail (in the ply) which has the strings going to each arm, so that the base of the chassis at each corner is equal distance from the table which the springs were resting on.

So, having done this yesterday, it took some hours today to finalise the dimensions of 2 x 6mm aluminium pieces which I need my friendly 'metal man' to cut for me - these are:

• the sheet supporting the bearing, and
  • the sheet tying the 2 sides of the triangle together, on the LHS - which also locates the spring grommet.

These need, respectively, a 17mm and a 15mm hole cut in them - and these have to be in exactly the right position, so is a job for the professionals! ;)

Stay tuned - but next post won't be for at least 1 week (depending on when I can get my pieces of 6mm aluminium back).

Regards,

Andy

post-104099-0-87891400-1412409330_thumb.

post-104099-0-19777700-1412409366_thumb.

post-104099-0-87382100-1412409408_thumb.

Always interesting @ andyr.

@@andyr I think this is going to sound good ;)

@ djb,

Knowing Andyr, I think he's gonna build this one better than then one you just purchased.....:P:P

@@andyr ... Looks like a set square ...kinda.

I like it. Following along with interest. A DIY TT is my Everest.

I will like more than you H,

And I'm not even into Vinyl....:P:)

C'mon, David - you know v1 sounds good, too (you've heard it many times! :D ).  I have no idea whether v2 will sound better - but it will have a more equal weight distribution on each spring!

@ djb,

Knowing Andyr, I think he's gonna build this one better than then one you just purchased..... :P :P

Won't be built any better, Peter - just slightly differently. ;)

Thank you, hochopeper - a set square certainly has a prominent place in the list of tools used. :)

Regards,

Andy

@@djb,

This project is like, ditching Kate Upton, and trying out Miranda Kerr...:P

@. Sad to say my understanding of all things modern is .... Non existent!

I ws offered a drink @cheekyboys recently -a shot called a "c@ck sucking cowboy"

I had to ring the geek to find out what it was

There was a long silence Geek replied "so your at a party of 15 yr old girls?"

I drank it -sweet coconut milk based- had to have a double whisky to clean my palate

You like your women pretty and young

Both persons mentioned are female!

Explain further ...... Word pictures would assist

I'd ask @@andyr but he's older than me and just rambles about some British phenomenon called "yummy mummies"

Edited by djb

Worry not @@andyr needs me -the customer- I take his Linn bits that no Linnie will buy because the know he's the devils spawn

He can justify to his yummy mummy that he's sold the old one and can therefore build a new one

I tell ppl i have a bargain

Linnie's burn candles for my soul

Edited by djb

@@djb,

This project is like, ditching Kate Upton, and trying out Miranda Kerr... :P

Kate who? :confused:

Andy

Did he mean Liptons?

A cuppa and a lie down is what he needs

@@djb,

This project is like, ditching Kate Upton, and trying out Miranda Kerr... :P

OK, Uncle Google has elucidated.  I don't think anyone in their right mind would ditch Kate Upton to try out Miranda Kerr ... unless they preferred older women! :P

Given I am much older than you, Peter, I think of this more as "trading the wife in for a younger version ... just to see if this solves my mid-life crisis"! ;)

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

Interesting project Andy if I ever get time when in Melb I'd love to have a squiz at it.

Interesting project Andy if I ever get time when in Melb I'd love to have a squiz at it.

Delighted to show it off to you, Luc.  Just PM me when you have a date.

Andy

Will see how I go in two weeks Andy as I'll be having lunch with djb and his promised 12 bottles of vino+beer; he's a generous soul isn't he!

@@Luc will be in Armadale very close to you Andy

One lonely SNAer has PM Ed me requesting financial details of this transaction

As this is not a deceased estate and no widows are endangered I began to worry as to why the enquiry

Ye gads he intends to guzump me

Take care @@andyr

I have told him that this deal is so big it is in commercial confidence territory

Pass word: due diligence

Edited by djb

Impressive.......looks better than v1 sorry to say....

2 things to ask Andy....

1.why didn't get the unit TIG welded and eschew the nuts/bolts?

2.....and you know this coming :P  :P ......I presume you are still using the Cirkus bearing/inner and outer platter from Linn.... 

A Klimax Radikal would set your deck off IMO....in looks and sound!!!!

You Really do need to hear one... ;)

Nice job though mate....you can see the evolution!!!

ATBTase

Will see how I go in two weeks Andy as I'll be having lunch with djb and his promised 12 bottles of vino+beer; he's a generous soul isn't he!

Hope we get a detailed test report before the bottles kick in!!!! :D

@@Luc will be in Armadale very close to you Andy

The man's omnipresent!

One lonely SNAer has PM Ed me requesting financial details of this transaction

As this is not a deceased estate and no widows are endangered I began to worry as to why the enquiry

Ye gads he intends to guzump me

Take care @@andyr

I have told him that this deal is so big it is in commercial confidence territory

Pass word: due diligence

Definitely "commercial-in-confidence" territory, @@djb! ;)

Andy

Impressive.......looks better than v1 sorry to say....

2 things to ask Andy....

1.why didn't get the unit TIG welded and eschew the nuts/bolts?

2.....and you know this coming :P  :P ......I presume you are still using the Cirkus bearing/inner and outer platter from Linn.... 

A Klimax Radikal would set your deck off IMO....in looks and sound!!!!

You Really do need to hear one... ;)

Nice job though mate....you can see the evolution!!!

ATBTase

Thank you, Tase.  v2 of anything should be better than v1 - I just hope it won't turn out like Microsoft software (where you need to be on at least v5 before it works to spec!). ;)

Yes, of course still using LP12 Cirkus bearing, inner & outer platters & belt ... and springs & grommets.  A further part of the evolution will be the spring pillars (which Duc (@lovetube) will be turning for me - which will look like the 1st attached pic, featuring my new VTA adjuster in the front, rather than the current spring pillar in the background.  The knurled band will promote easier height adjustment. :thumb:

Why didn't I get it welded - main reason is, Tase, bcoz I can use a hacksaw myself - but I can't weld. :)  And I also do like the "industrial" look of the bolts, once it's powder-coated - see 2nd pic.

Re. a Radikule ... I'm very happy with my #9 TT speed controller, thank you - with the extra dynamics it gives me, running my 24v Premotec at 32v. ;)

Regards,

Andy

post-104099-0-51266300-1412469559_thumb.

post-104099-0-62307100-1412469613_thumb.

Kate who? :confused:

Andy

I would be sticking with Kate Upton Andy!!

hot-kate-upton-photos.jpg