Is this turntable any good.

Hi guys, 

I've recently come into possession of a AGS turntable of some kind. I can't say a whole lot about it other than it's belt drive and probably hasn't been played in a very long time. It appears to spin however I haven't tried in on a record yet. Is this turntable likely to be any good and is there anything I should be doing before trying it with a record?

Absolutely, check the stylus is present and hopefully in good condition.

Only then test with an unloved or easily replaceable record.

The turntable is unknown to me, others may have some ideas.

This might help,it may not be the model you have i just found it posted here & there.

Can you post all the model details please,that will help others to provide you with information.

[This info below is from another forum,not me]

The model is AGS Audio Reflex MR-112 (belt driven). On the mat it says, manufactured by L&G for AGS (Japan) -
AGS is not even mentioned in the Library on this site @ AKAudio Reflex was a Canadian brand – I think the parent company was AGS Electronics. They sold a lot of Japanese-made turntables. was almost identical to an early-70’s JVC turntable,

Here you go my friend...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/32637-audio-reflex-mr-140-turntable-anyone-know-anything-about-this-unit/

Edited by masliko

Hi guys, 

I've recently come into possession of a AGS turntable of some kind. I can't say a whole lot about it other than it's belt drive and probably hasn't been played in a very long time. It appears to spin however I haven't tried in on a record yet. Is this turntable likely to be any good and is there anything I should be doing before trying it with a record?

WOW! I haven't seen one of those for a very long time. I used to service AGS back in the 1970s, when I worked for the distributor. AGS manufactured some pretty crappy products back then. However, their turntables were as good (or bad) as any of the usual low end Japanese products of the time. Which means they weren't too bad. The only things you'll ever need to worry about are:

* Stylus (easy to sort out)

* Belt (easy to sort out)

* Motor bearings (somewhat more difficult to sort out, but not impossible)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 02/10/2014 at 7:28 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

WOW! I haven't seen one of those for a very long time. I used to service AGS back in the 1970s, when I worked for the distributor. AGS manufactured some pretty crappy products back then. However, their turntables were as good (or bad) as any of the usual low end Japanese products of the time. Which means they weren't too bad. The only things you'll ever need to worry about are:

* Stylus (easy to sort out)

* Belt (easy to sort out)

* Motor bearings (somewhat more difficult to sort out, but not impossible)

Old old thread, but my father had two AGS turntables for his mobile disco in the late 70s early 80s. They had only an AGS badge on the front of the plinth, the front side of the lid was sloped, and the plinth itself wasn't of the stepped design like the MR-111/112 etc. They definitely were not a MR-110 as they had a square dust cover and were branded as Audio Reflex by AGS. He bought them in Sydney, dunno where, sometime between 1978 and 1980. We had one of the turntables right up till the early 00s when the spindle gear cracked and would lock up after auto returning, requiring a manual unjamming to be able to move the tone arm from rest. It eventually got tossed.

Here's a photo of them in use in 1982.

Not sure if you are from Sydney, but the mixer in use was a Legend Disco Mixer a.p.s IV, Legend being the in house brand of All Sight and Sound Hire at Tempe.

Anyhow, any idea what model those particular turntables were?

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1598945518011_6706463581977085962.jpeg

• Like 1