Sign in to follow this  
candyflip

Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

There’s no risk with using a cardboard business card (which is what I use) as it’s flexible and light and wouldn’t scratch a piece of cheese.  I’ve also no interest in getting my fingers dirty. 😊

5 minutes ago, candyflip said:

There’s no risk with using a cardboard business card (which is what I use) as it’s flexible and light and wouldn’t scratch a piece of cheese.  I’ve also no interest in getting my fingers dirty. 😊

My error @candyflip. I mistakenly thought you had suggested using a credit card. Business card.....fair enough.👍 I do like the concept of massaging it in though....fingers schmingers!😄

Just now, stevoz said:

My error @candyflip. I mistakenly thought you had suggested using a credit card. Business card.....fair enough.👍 

I think I did say ‘credit card’ in the video, but meant business card. I wasn’t following a script and tripped over my words. 😋

I use a fine bristle paint brush and a turntable for application. Best way of massaging it into the grooves.

I think I did say ‘credit card’ in the video, but meant business card. I wasn’t following a script and tripped over my words. [emoji39]

The card that worked best for me was a thin and flexible plastic name card that they often use at conferences and workshops on a lanyard. Again it wouldnt scratch anything, and it’s the correct width to act as a squee-gee across all of the playable area in one go. I tried the paper business card, but they got a bit wet and soggy.

Hey guys. 

I'm a finger spreader myself, although I haven't tried any other method.  I find great edge control and like Stevo, I think it helps to massage into the groove.

Reading the last few posts, I have to agree that I get some thin strips left behind on the outer edge.  I use the peeled skin to carefully rub them off, towards the edge, not along the edge.

My reason for this post is that I find a lot of static created by the peel, as mentioned above.  What can I do to counteract this??? 

Is it just a matter of more crap sticking to the surface, or does it affect playback at all??? 

I vacuum every record before spinning, so the crap is not really an issue.  My stylus is always pristine as I use a stylus brush with the vacuum held very close before each spin as well.

Cheers, Ant. 

3 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

My reason for this post is that I find a lot of static created by the peel, as mentioned above.  What can I do to counteract this??? 

Yes I get this too. I wash my records in my knosti after peeling the glue which gets rid of the static.

Edited by crisis

16 minutes ago, crisis said:

Yes I get this too. I wash my records in my knosti after peeking the glue which gets rid of the static.

Same.

At a $2 Store today in Balaclava, VIC.

Saw this absolute stonking glue bargain (not sure how many times in my life I'm going to be saying THAT again!)  ;)

Photo 31-3-19, 4 15 46 pm.jpg    Photo 31-3-19, 4 15 39 pm.jpg  

This makes it just $5.98 per litre.

Haven't tried it out yet - it's Chinese, branded 'Dot Republic', 500 ml bottles.

I'll report back on it's cleaning properties.

4 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Saw this absolute stonking glue bargain (not sure how many times in my life I'm going to be saying THAT again!)  ;)

Haven't tried it out yet - it's Chinese, branded 'Dot Republic', 500 ml bottles.

Thanks for that. 

Just reminded me that I have a few records that good do with a glue clean 

Thanks for the tip. will have ago.

23 hours ago, candyflip said:

So I glued and peeled a side of a record overnight.

This glue is very viscous - when I rested the wax on the ironing board and had the fan blowing it to dry, I came back after a half hour and the glue had blown into a tall ridge on the side farthest away from the fan !  :tongue:   Had to scoop the glue back evenly across the record again, for the second round. Never seen that before.

But, it dried perfectly overnight, and I pulled it off in one nice easy strip, even on the thinnest parts of the coverage.

Have yet to listen to that side (it needs wet cleaning next) - but so far, so good.

1 hour ago, candyflip said:

So I glued and peeled a side of a record overnight.

Have yet to listen to that side (it needs wet cleaning next) - but so far, so good.

Why do you wet wash after peeling @candyflip ? I 'peel and play' straight away!😉

Precautionary step re: possible glue residue?

8 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Why do you wet wash after peeling @candyflip ? I 'peel and play' straight away!😉

Precautionary step re: possible glue residue?

Yes, any glue residue, and I don't wash first - so I'm hoping anything not picked up by the glue mask (fingerprints and oils) are washed out by the wet clean.

Each to their own cleaning method but how do you know that all of the glue is coming out of the grooves?

9 hours ago, shawnwes said:

Each to their own cleaning method but how do you know that all of the glue is coming out of the grooves?

I guess the only way to know that for sure would be to microscopically view it, which I don't have the equipment to do.

So I just listen to the difference (no pops, cracks, or other noise anymore) and trust that everything put into the grooves, and lots that was clearly already there, has come out when the film is torn off the surface.

9 hours ago, shawnwes said:

You play the record.....and hear the difference. I use RV, not glue but in my experience, it all comes out. I have only experienced a little residue being left behind on the LP outer edge (from peeling too quickly) and it comes off easily with a wipe with the film you have just peeled off. I can guarantee you no glue/RV gets left in the tracks......the results could not be this good.👍

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

You play the record.....and hear the difference. I use RV, not glue but in my experience, it all comes out. I have only experienced a little residue being left behind on the LP outer edge (from peeling too quickly) and it comes off easily with a wipe with the film you have just peeled off. I can guarantee you no glue/RV gets left in the tracks......the results could not be this good.👍

I have found the Record Revirginiser product to be a great last resort clean. I usually use ultrasonic with RCM and Melody Mate which works most of the time and when it doesn’t the RV product takes it to another level. 

Have given the glue clean my first try today. I think I need to get myself a lazy Suzan to make things easier. Pics below were when I first applied but I have now come back a couple of hours later and found that the glue has gone to one side more that the other. First lesson, make sure my table is level. Looking forward to removal and test tomorrow. Thanks to all for info in this thread.

By the way this gum glue cost 8 big ones at office works for 500ml. See how it goes.
Cheers,
Russ
IMG_3811.jpgIMG_3809.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Have given the glue clean my first try today. I think I need to get myself a lazy Suzan to make things easier. Pics below were when I first applied but I have now come back a couple of hours later and found that the glue has gone to one side more that the other. First lesson, make sure my table is level. Looking forward to removal and test tomorrow. Thanks to all for info in this thread.

By the way this gum glue cost 8 big ones at office works for 500ml. See how it goes.
Cheers,
Russ

You need a fan Russ, or you'll be there all weekend.

A little fan, as in my video, will exponentially speed up your drying routine and will take just a few hours total.

Lazy susans (or 'cake displays') are available cheap at IKEA.

12 minutes ago, candyflip said:

You need a fan Russ, or you'll be there all weekend.

A little fan, as in my video, will exponentially speed up your drying routine and will take just a few hours total.

Lazy susans (or 'cake displays') are available cheap at IKEA.

Thanks Jon, I shall go do that now, cheers mate.

On 27/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, candyflip said:

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

YMMV.  

If you just want to see the glue mask come off, skip about 5 mins or so until the end... it's pretty brief.   :) 

1 minute ago, candyflip said:

Yep watched your helpful vid the other day but thought I'd get away without using the fan. 

Thinking about it now I probably would have had less glue running to one side if I had the fan going from the start. Live and learn.

Well it nearly went as planned! Most of it came off except one patch as seen below. Damn!

Still able to test the first couple mins of the first track and what a difference! Now to remove this patch...

IMG_3823.thumb.jpg.7dbc07755006b3367ab308d89a67303a.jpg