Jump to content

Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, candyflip said:

You need a fan Russ, or you'll be there all weekend.

A little fan, as in my video, will exponentially speed up your drying routine and will take just a few hours total.

 

Lazy susans (or 'cake displays') are available cheap at IKEA.

Thanks Jon, I shall go do that now, cheers mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Use this on 'yer discs:     It goes on easy, dries quick, and peels off in one simple light rubbery pull. ALWAYS use a fan once applied - it speeds up dry time dramatically,

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.   Glueing 101 (youTube link)     YMMV.     If you just want to see the g

@ThirdDrawerDown There's really no need to clean again after RV if you peel it off properly, which is easy if your careful. Don't waste your time.....in fact RV is so good, I wouldn't bother cleaning

On 27/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, candyflip said:

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.

 

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

 

YMMV.  

 

If you just want to see the glue mask come off, skip about 5 mins or so until the end... it's pretty brief.   :) 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, candyflip said:

 

Yep watched your helpful vid the other day but thought I'd get away without using the fan. 

Thinking about it now I probably would have had less glue running to one side if I had the fan going from the start. Live and learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it nearly went as planned! Most of it came off except one patch as seen below. Damn!

Still able to test the first couple mins of the first track and what a difference! Now to remove this patch...

IMG_3823.thumb.jpg.7dbc07755006b3367ab308d89a67303a.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Reglue and remove. That works.

Am I best to redo the whole disc or can I just glue over the patch and over to the edge?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rustee said:

Am I best to redo the whole disc or can I just glue over the patch and over to the edge?

Just the patch.

 

This happened because that areas was too thick with glue (you'll know why) and it didn't get a chance to dry through.

Try not to have any one area very much thicker than another - it won't dry, and won't peel.

With a little experience, this won't happen any more.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks gents, already did the whole side before seeing the last post.

Lets see how we go second time round.

Link to post
Share on other sites


I just got the glue all over my clearaudio TT. I played the record, but the glue got stuck in my Titanium V2 stylus! Are you supposed to peel the glue BEFORE you play the record??? I don’t get it. How can I clean my stylus?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi cigar nuke

 

Rookie error. Most people peel before playing, and check there's no strings of glue left behind.  Lou Reed, record producer as well as songwriter and guitarist, famously described the method after cleaning many acetates for a Velvet Underground box set "Peel slowly and see". But you get bonus points for enthusiasm.

 

You may have inadvertently come across a novel approach to stylus cleaning. Your problem is a rare one indeed and I'm out of good ideas. Bad ideas I can do (cigarette lighter to soften the glue? We joke.) Whatever method you decide on, please report back on how clean the stylus is afterward, you'd like high risk to result in high reward.

 

Just for completeness: Tip: it's also not a good idea to play the glue "negative" peeling that you unpeeled from the LP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Just for completeness: Tip: it's also not a good idea to play the glue "negative" peeling that you unpeeled from the LP.

 

Agreed.  I've heard you'll open a gate to hell if you do.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

...but seriously, I have to try this. I will just make sure I clean record very well afterwards.

 

i need a second tonearm with cheaper cart for everyday listening too.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


On 14/05/2019 at 10:36 AM, Cigar nuke said:

...but seriously, I have to try this. I will just make sure I clean record very well afterwards.

 

i need a second tonearm with cheaper cart for everyday listening too.....

Not necessary. Peel (carefully) and straight to the platter.....you're not going to get it any cleaner.😄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Second time round: got the record flat, let it dry properly and perfect! Results are amazing. On the negative I think I have just given my self a lot of work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rustee said:

Second time round: got the record flat, let it dry properly and perfect! Results are amazing. On the negative I think I have just given my self a lot of work.

 

Worth it for pristine vinyl though......and surely not all your records need a peel?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Worth it for pristine vinyl though......and surely not all your records need a peel?

Most definitely worth it and no not all of them. Although my collection is still quite small so it is tempting to go through all but the cleanest ones.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


I think I might pop 'round to my local officeworks and get a bottle of the J. Burrows clear gum glue to try this. It says its water based right on the bottle, so it should be pretty safe.  If it works well I'll probably go back and stock up on a couple litres. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've done 7 records so far and getting better. Still have a bit of fine tuning to do with a coupe of minor things. One is that my tabs tend to float inwards so I have no tab hanging over the edge to start the peel. Also half the time my tabs tear instead of peeling up the glue. A bit more experimenting needed!

Second is that I've noticed I get very small bits of glue getting left on the record on the outer edge. I think a bit more glue thickness should fix this.

It's a great feeling when you bring an oldie back to life! 

Thanks again everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rustee said:

So I've done 7 records so far and getting better. Still have a bit of fine tuning to do with a coupe of minor things. One is that my tabs tend to float inwards so I have no tab hanging over the edge to start the peel. Also half the time my tabs tear instead of peeling up the glue. A bit more experimenting needed!

Second is that I've noticed I get very small bits of glue getting left on the record on the outer edge. I think a bit more glue thickness should fix this.

It's a great feeling when you bring an oldie back to life! 

Thanks again everyone.

Some tips Rustee:

 

  1. Use cardboard tabs (plain cardboard business cards are great), cut 2-3cm long each. Lay half in the glue, leave half hanging over the edge of the record end. This will make sure that when you peel it up, the glue comes with it in one strip.
  2. I coat the outer edge and the inner edge (near the deadwax section) with a double layer of glue, preventing this problem. You can drop some small glue spots on top of your tabs as well - to cover the edges inside the record. Leave the tab on the outside, clean.

🙌

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Some tips Rustee:

 

  1. Use cardboard tabs (plain cardboard business cards are great), cut 2-3cm long each. Lay half in the glue, leave half hanging over the edge of the record end. This will make sure that when you peel it up, the glue comes with it in one strip.
  2. I coat the outer edge and the inner edge (near the deadwax section) with a double layer of glue, preventing this problem. You can drop some small glue spots on top of your tabs as well - to cover the edges inside the record. Leave the tab on the outside, clean.

🙌

Legend! thanks Jon, will try this on my next go. :thumb:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2019 at 5:38 PM, stevoz said:

Not necessary. Peel (carefully) and straight to the platter.....you're not going to get it any cleaner.😄

I actually run through my Knosti afterwards  but I'm sure the glue method is probably pretty safe without it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi. Is it possible for someone who has done it, to give an approx idea of the quantity they used?

The Monte Marte gel glue bottle I have is 147ml, for example.

If I put too little on, I can just add more?

And if I put too much on, it'll just take much longer to dry?

So I'm just after the ballpark.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, andrewinbriz said:

Hi. Is it possible for someone who has done it, to give an approx idea of the quantity they used?

The Monte Marte gel glue bottle I have is 147ml, for example.

If I put too little on, I can just add more?

And if I put too much on, it'll just take much longer to dry?

So I'm just after the ballpark.

Thanks.

Hi - I used about an 1/8th of a 147ml bottle usually to do one side - so around 20-25mls per side.

 

If you use too little, yes, just add more.

Have you watched the video yet?  I show you how to apply it.

 

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

 

 

best

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how many mls I'm using per side but I can thoroughly recommend the studymate clear gum glue from officeworks, for when you run out of your current supply. 1L bottles are $10.98, making it the most economical option to my knowledge; particularly since most people can pick them up local and dodge shipping. To put it into perspective, vinyl revirginizer is anywhere between $58 to $100 a litre (the cheapest I've seen the 500ml bottles going for is $29 but many places sell it closer to $50, which is just stupidly overpriced for what it is).

I'm of the opinion that less paper tabs is better, as I find the paper tabs are usually the hardest parts to peel off, so I just use one. No matter how lightly or carefully I place them they always make their way through the glue and get close to the vinyl surface, so just a single thin-cut tab is the way to go from my experience. Once I've peeled the first tab I know that the rest is going to come off without issue, as long as it's dried thoroughly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried some stuff from a hi fi shop , worked great, then tried pva glue on about 50 discs, worked great, then bought a bigger bottle of pva, different brand...... screwed every disc!!!!!! Would not come off, it was like it had melted into the records- arghhhhhhh (I’ll see if I can find a photo...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rangi said:

I tried some stuff from a hi fi shop , worked great, then tried pva glue on about 50 discs, worked great, then bought a bigger bottle of pva, different brand...... screwed every disc!!!!!! Would not come off, it was like it had melted into the records- arghhhhhhh (I’ll see if I can find a photo...)

Stick to clear craft gum based glues or RV. Out of interest, was the bad stuff 'Wellbond'? That particular PVA glue will bond to just about anything and never let go! Not for LP's!😄

Edited by stevoz
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rangi said:

 then tried pva glue on about 50 discs, worked great, then bought a bigger bottle of pva, different brand...... screwed every disc!!!!!! Would not come off, it was like it had melted into the records- arghhhhhhh (I’ll see if I can find a photo...)

PVA glue is not a standard formula and can vary between brands, even ranges in a brand. Looks like you found out about this the hard way.... :shocked: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

I have just tried RV for the first time.

 

I have done side 1 so far - it was pretty easy to do - 20 mls of RV and massage into the grooves in light circular motion with two fingertips and put a tab on the edge. I let it dry for 6 hours in my air conditioned room and it pretty much peeled off in one complete piece. Just a couple of teeny bits on the outer edge in three places that I was able to grab off with the left over peel.

 

Just wondering if one does a wet wash after this process? I am guessing not, as there is no mention on washing the LP on the RV You Tube demo video.......

 

Anyway, shall do side 2 tomorrow.

 

 

 

IMG_3160.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2019 at 4:52 PM, Doomguy said:

...I'm of the opinion that less paper tabs is better, as I find the paper tabs are usually the hardest parts to peel off, so I just use one. No matter how lightly or carefully I place them they always make their way through the glue and get close to the vinyl surface, so just a single thin-cut tab is the way to go from my experience. Once I've peeled the first tab I know that the rest is going to come off without issue, as long as it's dried thoroughly.

I've not done a glue peel before, but I'm wondering if your problem could be solved by applying the glue to the record surface without any paper tabs, and then after it dries using the same glue to glue some paper tabs.  I would think the glue would adhere well to itself, and this would ensure you have a layer of glue between the paper and the record.  It would add some time to the process. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, April Snow said:

I have just tried RV for the first time.

 

I have done side 1 so far - it was pretty easy to do - 20 mls of RV and massage into the grooves in light circular motion with two fingertips and put a tab on the edge. I let it dry for 6 hours in my air conditioned room and it pretty much peeled off in one complete piece. Just a couple of teeny bits on the outer edge in three places that I was able to grab off with the left over peel.

 

Just wondering if one does a wet wash after this process? I am guessing not, as there is no mention on washing the LP on the RV You Tube demo video.......

 

Anyway, shall do side 2 tomorrow.

 

 

 

IMG_3160.JPG

Your methodology for RV use is almost perfect @April Snow , including removal of edge bits that remain with the peeled off layer. I would only add that judging by the amount on the LP in your photo, you could maybe use a little less to make the bottle go further and use two or three tabs, just in case the first one doesn't start the peel properly. On this point, I disagree with those suggesting only one tab as there is no problem from extra tabs and the tab areas are cleaned just as well.

 

In regard to 'do you wash LP after the peel?'.....for me, if I'm confident all RV has been removed, it's straight to the platter.👍 It's not going to be any cleaner after a wash.....although it may have less static. The peeling process can add static but I don't usually find it much of a problem.

 

Have fun enjoying the sonic improvement of your LP's!!👌

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Your methodology for RV use is almost perfect @April Snow , including removal of edge bits that remain with the peeled off layer. I would only add that judging by the amount on the LP in your photo, you could maybe use a little less to make the bottle go further and use two or three tabs, just in case the first one doesn't start the peel properly. On this point, I disagree with those suggesting only one tab as there is no problem from extra tabs and the tab areas are cleaned just as well.

 

In regard to 'do you wash LP after the peel?'.....for me, if I'm confident all RV has been removed, it's straight to the platter.👍 It's not going to be any cleaner after a wash.....although it may have less static. The peeling process can add static but I don't usually find it much of a problem.

 

Have fun enjoying the sonic improvement of your LP's!!👌

This was my first attempt and the bottle suggested using 20 ml then when confident to reduce the amount if one chooses to - it all pretty much came off completely intact except for a tiny bit along the outside edge which was easy to pull off. I only used the one tab & had no issues, but shall add a second as a back up 🙂

 

I Shall attach a photo of what it looks like when removed - I was able to stick it on the window to photograph it, very interesting to see the grooves I thought, kind of shows how deep the liquid goes in to the grooves.

 

Shall do side 2 today 🙂

 

Have not tested side 1 yet, thought I might wash the record prior play just for my own piece of mind all is removed.

 

 

 

IMG_3166.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you try playing it, the left channel will come out of the right and vise versa. You will also have to start at the centre because it will play backwards. You will probably hear incantations of the devil.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, t_mike said:

If you try playing it, the left channel will come out of the right and vise versa. You will also have to start at the centre because it will play backwards. You will probably hear incantations of the devil.

LOL - too funny !!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...