Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

• 6 months later...

I have just tried RV for the first time.

I have done side 1 so far - it was pretty easy to do - 20 mls of RV and massage into the grooves in light circular motion with two fingertips and put a tab on the edge. I let it dry for 6 hours in my air conditioned room and it pretty much peeled off in one complete piece. Just a couple of teeny bits on the outer edge in three places that I was able to grab off with the left over peel.

Just wondering if one does a wet wash after this process? I am guessing not, as there is no mention on washing the LP on the RV You Tube demo video.......

Anyway, shall do side 2 tomorrow.

IMG_3160.JPG

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 4:52 PM, Doomguy said:

...I'm of the opinion that less paper tabs is better, as I find the paper tabs are usually the hardest parts to peel off, so I just use one. No matter how lightly or carefully I place them they always make their way through the glue and get close to the vinyl surface, so just a single thin-cut tab is the way to go from my experience. Once I've peeled the first tab I know that the rest is going to come off without issue, as long as it's dried thoroughly.

I've not done a glue peel before, but I'm wondering if your problem could be solved by applying the glue to the record surface without any paper tabs, and then after it dries using the same glue to glue some paper tabs.  I would think the glue would adhere well to itself, and this would ensure you have a layer of glue between the paper and the record.  It would add some time to the process. 

14 hours ago, April Snow said:

I have just tried RV for the first time.

I have done side 1 so far - it was pretty easy to do - 20 mls of RV and massage into the grooves in light circular motion with two fingertips and put a tab on the edge. I let it dry for 6 hours in my air conditioned room and it pretty much peeled off in one complete piece. Just a couple of teeny bits on the outer edge in three places that I was able to grab off with the left over peel.

Just wondering if one does a wet wash after this process? I am guessing not, as there is no mention on washing the LP on the RV You Tube demo video.......

Anyway, shall do side 2 tomorrow.

IMG_3160.JPG

Your methodology for RV use is almost perfect @April Snow , including removal of edge bits that remain with the peeled off layer. I would only add that judging by the amount on the LP in your photo, you could maybe use a little less to make the bottle go further and use two or three tabs, just in case the first one doesn't start the peel properly. On this point, I disagree with those suggesting only one tab as there is no problem from extra tabs and the tab areas are cleaned just as well.

In regard to 'do you wash LP after the peel?'.....for me, if I'm confident all RV has been removed, it's straight to the platter.? It's not going to be any cleaner after a wash.....although it may have less static. The peeling process can add static but I don't usually find it much of a problem.

Have fun enjoying the sonic improvement of your LP's!!?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Your methodology for RV use is almost perfect @April Snow , including removal of edge bits that remain with the peeled off layer. I would only add that judging by the amount on the LP in your photo, you could maybe use a little less to make the bottle go further and use two or three tabs, just in case the first one doesn't start the peel properly. On this point, I disagree with those suggesting only one tab as there is no problem from extra tabs and the tab areas are cleaned just as well.

In regard to 'do you wash LP after the peel?'.....for me, if I'm confident all RV has been removed, it's straight to the platter.? It's not going to be any cleaner after a wash.....although it may have less static. The peeling process can add static but I don't usually find it much of a problem.

Have fun enjoying the sonic improvement of your LP's!!?

This was my first attempt and the bottle suggested using 20 ml then when confident to reduce the amount if one chooses to - it all pretty much came off completely intact except for a tiny bit along the outside edge which was easy to pull off. I only used the one tab & had no issues, but shall add a second as a back up ?

I Shall attach a photo of what it looks like when removed - I was able to stick it on the window to photograph it, very interesting to see the grooves I thought, kind of shows how deep the liquid goes in to the grooves.

Shall do side 2 today ?

Have not tested side 1 yet, thought I might wash the record prior play just for my own piece of mind all is removed.

IMG_3166.JPG

• Like 2

If you try playing it, the left channel will come out of the right and vise versa. You will also have to start at the centre because it will play backwards. You will probably hear incantations of the devil.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, t_mike said:

If you try playing it, the left channel will come out of the right and vise versa. You will also have to start at the centre because it will play backwards. You will probably hear incantations of the devil.

LOL - too funny !!!

23 hours ago, Kaynin said:

At 6 hours for one side I think I'll stick to my RCM  ;)

Although......does this method clean fingerprints?

I use Spin Clean for now (shall consider RCM later in the year) but I am trying this as an experiment on a 1975 Night at the Opera album that was very crackly (even though looks Mint to look at it) to see if it improves the album. I would not use this on every album - just the ones that one may almost give up on as a last resort to see if the LP can be improved.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I use Spin Clean for now (shall consider RCM later in the year) but I am trying this as an experiment on a 1970 Night at the Opera album that was very crackly (even though looks Mint to look at it) to see if it improves the album. I would not use this on every album - just the ones that one may almost give up on as a last resort to see if the LP can be improved.

Yeah, interesting, I'm now thinking the same.  Maybe a combo of both methods could be what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

So I  have just peeled off side 2 of the record - and I really recommend using the suggested amount of 20 mils as you get a more even and better coverage and it will come off in one piece.

I measured the gel into a small medicine cup - and I did as @stevoz suggested and put three tabs on the record to see if the peeling off is easier and it was as you start on one tab at a time and it comes off in one complete sheet.

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4

I have spin cleaned the LP - and she looks lovely and clean. I am letting her dry and shall double check all the gel is off in the daylight tomorrow & give it a spin to see if any improvements. If the LP is still crackly, I guess shall have to assume it is groove damage and look for a better copy, but at least I have given it a go, would be nice though if it works to breathe new life into a 1970s album. Fingers Crossed ?

IMG_3175.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

I have an original and VERY crackly pressing of this album too...i wonder if this was lower quality vinyl? This is also my Dad's copy and has been well used. I'll RV mine tonight and play a side tomorrow to see.

@JPete9  Maybe it was a low quality pressing- I purchased this from Discogs about 3 months ago and was said to be NM by the seller - but when I received it even though it looked good it was so crackly I renamed it "Night at the Coco Pops" !! ?

I am hoping the RV may improve it - I shall be interested to see your results - let's compare notes tomorrow ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

Dang i thought i removed it before you replied, now i've lost the post :( as i have packed this and few of the old family records away so i cant easily do it by tomorrow, but i will drag it out soon.

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

Dang i thought i removed it before you replied, now i've lost the post :( as i have packed this and few of the old family records away so i cant easily do it by tomorrow, but i will drag it out soon.

No worries, I will let you know how it goes ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

Played album so here are the results:

Side 1 - 70% improved - only heard some crackles in the quiet parts - was very excited with the results ?

Side 2 - 40% improved - more crackly than side 1 - mostly because 2 songs are ballads on this side so crackles more audible and Bo Rhap is on this side too - so guess it was likely played more as well than side 1.

But the album is definitely listenable now - will I replace it with a better pressing? Yes, likely when  find a repress that is good (not been too keen on the Queen re-issues to be honest so far - half mastered or not...........) 

Does revirginizer work? "yes" (although this was my first attempt)

Is it easy to use? I would say "yes"

Is it labour intensive? I would say "no" because seriously does not take long to put it on, it is just the drying time that is long - but that is not a big deal really, just do something else.

Would you do this with every album? "No" - too expensive but it is worth having as a "last ditch attempt" to salvage a record you may like to keep.

?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Played album so here are the results:

Side 1 - 70% improved - only heard some crackles in the quiet parts - was very excited with the results ?

Side 2 - 40% improved - more crackly than side 1 - mostly because 2 songs are ballads on this side so crackles more audible and Bo Rhap is on this side too - so guess it was likely played more as well than side 1.

But the album is definitely listenable now - will I replace it with a better pressing? Yes, likely when  find a repress that is good (not been too keen on the Queen re-issues to be honest so far - half mastered or not...........) 

Does revirginizer work? "yes" (although this was my first attempt)

Is it easy to use? I would say "yes"

Is it labour intensive? I would say "no" because seriously does not take long to put it on, it is just the drying time that is long - but that is not a big deal really, just do something else.

Would you do this with every album? "No" - too expensive but it is worth having as a "last ditch attempt" to salvage a record you may like to keep.

?

Might be worth a second pass to see if it improves further?

16 minutes ago, April Snow said:

?

Only "Last Ditch" if you don't have:

a.  a wet/vac RCM, or

b.  a us tank, April!

BTW, I suggest the annulus you showed in a prior post - having peeled it off an LP (excellent work, btw - I guess you are able to peel an orange in a perfect spiral!  :) ) - does not, IMO, show distinct 'grooves'.  IOW, the RV - or IPA glue, for that matter - has not got right down to the bottom of the grooves.

You need to have that album cleaned with a us tank, as a comparison.  I'm sure someone on the GC must have a us tank - if not, I'll happily clean it for you (I'm in Melbourne).  It will give me the excuse I need to set up my us tank again ... as I have many, many LPs that I've bought, that need cleaning!  :)  (US cleaning is a bathroom job!  :(  So I use the spare bathroom.)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, andyr said:

Only "Last Ditch" if you don't have:

a.  a wet/vac RCM, or

b.  a us tank, April!

BTW, I suggest the annulus you showed in a prior post - having peeled it off an LP (excellent work, btw - I guess you are able to peel an orange in a perfect spiral!  :) ) - does not, IMO, show distinct 'grooves'.  IOW, the RV - or IPA glue, for that matter - has not got right down to the bottom of the grooves.

You need to have that album cleaned with a us tank, as a comparison.  I'm sure someone on the GC must have a us tank - if not, I'll happily clean it for you (I'm in Melbourne).  It will give me the excuse I need to set up my us tank again ... as I have many, many LPs that I've bought, that need cleaning!  :)  (US cleaning is a bathroom job!  :(  So I use the spare bathroom.)

Andy

@andyr Yes I am thinking a second attempt could help too - maybe I did not press it in enough into the grooves on side 2 - was a little nervous as I am never sure how hard to press on a record so do tend to be light handed with all things record cleaning. Maybe another go at it with more pressure may help get deeper in to the grooves, afterall this is a record from 1970. But I would have thought that the liquid would seep in to the grooves on it's own?

A RCM is on my wish list - but for now have a Spin Clean & RV in my kit so wanted to try out the RV.

Thank you for the offer of the US though - just likely not cost effective to send the album there and back to you in Melbourne - but very kind of you - (thank you)

?