Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

52 minutes ago, Colin Rutter said:

I bought the Office Works one and it is taking a long time to dry
So what is the technique for application?
Thanks

Go back one page and have a look at the video I did for you.

You'll see I setup an ironing board, with a towel, and the records go on that and have cool air blow from a small personal fan direct on them for an hour or so. Warmer air makes drying times rapidly decrease.

Go back one page and have a look at the video I did for you.
You'll see I setup an ironing board, with a towel, and the records go on that and have cool air blow from a small personal fan direct on them for an hour or so. Warmer air makes drying times rapidly decrease.
Thanks

So Ive tried the gum glue which was less stressful to remove and this.DSC_1425.thumb.JPG.cee88e91687b0809a536733e2140f91c.JPG

This is still PVA but is a happy medium between the strength of Aquadhere and the gum which I found could break up a bit as it was removed. I did have that problem on one side with this glue where I think I was a little frugal. It needs a decent film to hold together.

At this stage this is the go. $5 from Cheap as Chips.

It has completely revitalized two records that were going in the bin. From unlistenable with surface noise to very very good. Tolerable from me and I don't have much tolerance for any noise.

Edited by crisis
  • Like 4

Brilliant! I was about to post the question about which glue to use this morning, but had to do other stuff.
Something i did find that works- a lot of jumps are caused by a buildup of fly **** or other organic stuff. Soak the spot in a record cleaning solution for a few hours and “presto”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Brilliant! I was about to post the question about which glue to use this morning, but had to do other stuff.
Something i did find that works- a lot of jumps are caused by a buildup of fly **** or other organic stuff. Soak the spot in a record cleaning solution for a few hours and “presto”

Yep, I always wet wash first to disolve those "snotty" globules. Then hit it with glue to pull the leftovers out of the grooves.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to @candyflip for bringing this method and product to my attention.

I've done around 90 albums in the last few weeks and my records are bouncing back to life.  I'm a little OCD with it at the moment because I can't wait to hear them after a peel.

Cheers Buddy.

Ant.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Thanks to @candyflip for bringing this method and product to my attention.

yep.  thanks @candyflip  i've now got through the important things in my collection ... it's taken several months on and off, but hell it was worth the effort, mostly.

After a while i could hear which of the dirty albums were worth the time, and those that were just too far gone as result of my crappy gear and setups back in the dark ages and not worth the effort

• Like 2

On 16/12/2018 at 5:36 PM, enikoy said:

Yep, I always wet wash first to disolve those "snotty" globules. Then hit it with glue to pull the leftovers out of the grooves.

I actually do it the other way around. Pull off all the crap with the glue and then a wash afterwards to rinse. But whatever way, it definitely works. ?

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 11:01 AM, t_mike said:

And if you are willing to sign up to their e-mail list, the clear 1 gallon comes down to ~$32.  I've figured that I can do ~100 records both sides for a gallon.  

.... and yes, I've now got through several gallons of glue, which has fascinated my non-audiophile friends

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks to @candyflip for turning me on to this amazing, cheap, way to improve my listening experience.

I'd like to add my discoveries as I've Glued my discs.

1. Don't over-press the card strips you use to lift The Glue. If the card is pressed too hard into the glue it can stick to the vinyl below, just float the card onto The Glue.

2. I've found that The Glue tends to leave a lot of static on my vinyl. You'll need a good anti-static device to counteract it.

3. Be aware that The Glue will stick to the outer edge of the vinyl, which is not removed by the first lift. I prefer to ensure my vinyl is comletely free of glue before playing it.

Edited by discette
additional information
  • Like 1

@discette comments are spot on. 

I had the same experience pressing the tabs into the glue.  And, the edges were also difficult to clean up at times, but small bother really for recovering a nice piece of vinyl.

Also i found that they were streaky, cosmetically at least, and sometimes  static was an issue.  So I got into the habit of using a wet vacuum on them after removing the glue, put them in a fresh inner sleeve, and they are about as good as they are ever likely to be.

The other part of the process that I went for was to do both sides at once, and let the record dry balanced on an up-turned bowl or cup with newspaper below.  I didn't bother with a fan, but would leave them for 2 preferably 3 days  in an unused room.  I'd do a selection of 15 vinyl at time in one batch, which I could set up in one hour.  And it would take about 1.5 hrs to strip wash them afterwards & re-sleeve.  Overall, not too much of a pain for treasured recordings that I've had 30 - 40 years .  

The attached pic is an early dummy run with them drying on the dining table.  That didn't a high level of WAF, so I went for option B on the floor of the spare room. 

IMG_3177.JPG

• Like 1

On 27/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, candyflip said:

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

YMMV.  

If you just want to see the glue mask come off, skip about 5 mins or so until the end... it's pretty brief.   :) 

And for those that missed it last year......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, discette said:

Thanks to @candyflip for turning me on to this amazing, cheap, way to improve my listening experience.

1. Don't over-press the card strips you use to lift The Glue. If the card is pressed too hard into the glue it can stick to the vinyl below, just float the card onto The Glue.

2. I've found that The Glue tends to leave a lot of static on my vinyl. You'll need a good anti-static device to counteract it.

3. Be aware that The Glue will stick to the outer edge of the vinyl, which is not removed by the first lift. I prefer to ensure my vinyl is comletely free of glue before playing it.

Can concur with all of that.

1. Definitely experienced that. Good advice.

2. A lot more with the gum than the PVA but I wash my records in my Knosti after I've removed the glue.

3. To address this I use a mirco fibre cloth dipped in cleaning fluid and run it around the edge of the record before running it my Knosti.

I generally do a side at a time over a couple of days but on the recent hot days I have put them in my bedroom on our bed under the ceiling fan and this dries them in a couple of hours. A fan really dos help if you are in a relative hurry.

I am doing around 8 records a week now. It has become so regular that my family doesn't even think I'm insane anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candyflip said:

And for those that missed it last year......

Great vid and yes I did see it before.

FWIW I use a rubber floor mat (4 actually) that I got from Bunnings. The record doesn't rotate but its not a great issue. I generally run around the middle first with a plastic pain spatula. then I draw it from the center out and go around the record that way. I also put more tabs on than that and keep them more to the edge. It makes it easier when the skin gets a bit stuck to be able to pull from somewhere else. I do find the craft PVE holds itself together a bit better than gum. ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, discette said:

Just a comment on application method and point three....

While it's entirely up to you how you apply the glue, personally I would never use a credit card to spread out glue or RV (which I use) as Candyflip originally suggested, to me there's too much risk of vinyl damage. Sure you can be very 'careful' but mistakes can still be made. I use my finger to massage the RV (or glue if that's what you use) into the grooves in a circular motion. That makes point three moot, as you can control the edges much better when applying with your fingers and it virtually always all comes off with the first peel.....and yes, it is indeed wise to play an LP with no glue or RV residue present (if you care about your stylus)!??