Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

I was getting the impression that the clear gum glues were now preferred over the pva wood glues.  Is this not so?

White glues tend to stick VERY strongly, so are harder to peel, and I guess we have decided overall that the gel does as good a job, but is easier to apply and remove. Both work.

7 minutes ago, candyflip said:

White glues tend to stick VERY strongly, so are harder to peel, and I guess we have decided overall that the gel does as good a job, but is easier to apply and remove. Both work.

Remember our Selleys Aquadhere efforts :D

Fellas you might find others that work well if you want to experiment, but Montmarte Craft and Titebond II are proven winners.

• Like 1

Does anyone use these glues have any reservations about the solvents used in these glues having any impact on the vinyl?

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I was getting the impression that the clear gum glues were now preferred over the pva wood glues.  Is this not so?

I'd stick (pardon the pun) to clear gums, they're more like Revirginizer, which works brilliantly. Just ensure you have one or two paper tabs attached to the glue at the outer edge to aid lifting once dry.:thumb: Also, as the clear gums are so cheap, you don't have to be too sparing like with the more pricey per LP Revirginzer. @Chigurh mentioned evenness, but the priority is making sure you massage it into the tracks well with your finger, have covered the tracks properly from outer and inner and used enough so it's doesn't dry too thin to peel off without leaving any residue behind. If any residue does remain, use the peeled off film to remove the residue......and presto, pristine vinyl.:)

57 minutes ago, guru said:

Does anyone use these glues have any reservations about the solvents used in these glues having any impact on the vinyl?

Revirginizer states on their website that their product contains solvents to aid in the cleaning of contaminants from the grooves but I have no idea about the solvents in the craft clear gums.....maybe they're similar anyway? I use RV, so I'm not too worried but no one on here who has used these glues has complained of adverse impact on their vinyl.....yet, but it's a good question.....

Edited by stevoz

18 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Revirginizer states on their website that their product contains solvents to aid in the cleaning of contaminants from the grooves but I have no idea about the solvents in the craft clear gums.....maybe they're similar anyway? I use RV, so I'm not too worried but no one on here who has used these glues has complained of adverse impact on their vinyl.....yet, but it's a good question.....

Revirginizer is taking a liberty in stating solvents are there to remove contaminants, solvents are present in the glue to keep it in a liquid form so extending the use of solvents to cleaning records is covering the question of potential damage in horseshit.

15 minutes ago, guru said:

Revirginizer is taking a liberty in stating solvents are there to remove contaminants, solvents are present in the glue to keep it in a liquid form so extending the use of solvents to cleaning records is covering the question of potential damage in horseshit.

I may have misread their website but I'm not sure what you're point is. It makes sense that fingerprints and the like on vinyl would need solvents to help remove them, so I guess the solvents purpose may then be twofold. :)

Edited by stevoz

29 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I may have misread their website but I'm not sure what you're point is. It makes sense that fingerprints and the like on vinyl would need solvents to help remove them, so I guess the solvents purpose may then be twofold. :)

solvents only exist as a component of the glue so it stays in a liquid form unit the glue is applied and the solvents evaporate, same as paint or any product applied in a liquid form and then finishes in a semi hard or dry state. without knowing what the actual solvent is, you don't know if their is a potential long term effect with using it, I mean, if I suggested wiping your records down with acetone first as part of a cleaning process, would you think that reasonable advice yet acetone is a very common and widely used solvent.

15 minutes ago, guru said:

solvents only exist as a component of the glue so it stays in a liquid form unit the glue is applied and the solvents evaporate, same as paint or any product applied in a liquid form and then finishes in a semi hard or dry state. without knowing what the actual solvent is, you don't know if their is a potential long term effect with using it, I mean, if I suggested wiping your records down with acetone first as part of a cleaning process, would you think that reasonable advice yet acetone is a very common and widely used solvent.

I don't claim to be a chemist, all I know is RV works. Clear gums may be a problem, feel free to research further, but I'm happy to use Revirginizer.:thumb:

9 hours ago, guru said:

For everyone's education and entertainment, I did have a bit of a "Barry Marshall" moment and put both the dried glues in my gob for a taste test. The Titebond does has a strong "vinegary" taste on the surface which must also be imparted on the vinyl surface. The Montmarte was so neutral I would be game to swallow it. I'd vote the Montmarte as the one least likely to affect the vinyl. As for the sniff test, both failed dismally against the contact cement solvent benchmark :hiccup

BTW I'd like to repeat that I've moved on to using a DIY vacuum record cleaner for the last 18 months, which I find gets great results almost instantly compared to gluing.

I don't claim to be a chemist, all I know is RV works. Clear gums may be a problem, feel free to research further, but I'm happy to use Revirginizer.:thumb:

There should be a material safety data sheet available for both products which should list the ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

From the RV product description in answer to a question about shellac records:

"Unfortunately Revirginizer contains a small amount of alcohol which reacts to shellac surfaces. We are currently developing a formula that will meet the standards for shellac."

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've tested many of the glues available in Australia.

These all seem to be pretty similar: 

-Monte Marte Washable School Glue Gel

-EC (Educational Colours) Craft Clear Gum

-J. Burrows Clear Gum Glue

The J. Burrows one seems to be the cheapest and you can get it at Officeworks. It's made in Australia, just like the EC glue.

The Monte Marte one is my least favourite as it is more expensive, made in China (I'd rather support a local manufacturer) and breaks up more easily on removal.

I tried various PVA wood glues and they are much harder to peel off. Most wood glues leave a very faint mark on the record where they have been applied. They seem to be acidic and have a bit of a vinegar smell. One cheapie had a strong rotten egg smell. Selley's Aquadhere was particularly difficult to peel off.

My findings seem to correlate with what others have said in this thread.

I'll be sticking with the J. Burrows Clear Gum Glue because it's so cheap and easy to find. For really dirty or hard to clean records I even do multiple applications, sometimes with just thin lines of glue over the dirty spots. If any of it doesn't come off because i applied it too thinly, i do another application over the stuck bits.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

I used to work in art stores for quite a few years.  A lot of these craft glues, especially brands like EC are made for kids, so they all tend to be non toxic.  

If its ok for your skin I would tend to think it should be ok for vinyl........Also all of the product is removed like a skin afterwards so no residue should remain.

Theres always that risk when you use a product outside of its parameters.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, candyflip said:

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

YMMV.  

If you just want to see the glue mask come off, skip about 5 mins or so until the end... it's pretty brief.   :) 

“The video is unavailable”

5 hours ago, candyflip said:

rough and ready - nothing fancy, but here's a pour, spread, dry and pull of the glue mask for ya.

Glueing 101 (youTube link)  

YMMV.  

If you just want to see the glue mask come off, skip about 5 mins or so until the end... it's pretty brief.   :) 

Excellent

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Should have checked this out before. I used Selleys Aquadhere yesterday. It is a bit of a struggle to get off cleanly. That said the results were impressive. One album that has a distinct "scratch" that bumped the stylus now plays perfectly. Whats more it sounds much clearer that it did before. Another album that was quite crackly is still annoyingly so. It is a second hand one I bought ages ago so I suspect it is just plain ol damaged. I will be using that clear glue next time though as it seems less severe.

• Like 1

Should have checked this out before. I used Selleys Aquadhere yesterday. It is a bit of a struggle to get off cleanly. That said the results were impressive. One album that has a distinct "scratch" that bumped the stylus now plays perfectly. Whats more it sounds much clearer that it did before. Another album that was quite crackly is still annoyingly so. It is a second hand one I bought ages ago so I suspect it is just plain ol damaged. I will be using that clear glue next time though as it seems less severe.

• Like 1