Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

The turntable I use for cleaning was free on a roadside collection, and was a "record player" turntable, not a "hifi" turntable, so it has found a higher purpose.  It has a spindle which the Ikea doesn't. 

Yes, much better if you can find an old one.

I had one I paid $10 for, for awhile. But then lost it in a house move.

So, IKEA has provided an answer for me.

I'll probably cut a small rubber mat to size from Bunnings, and place that on top.

That will alleviate the need for a spindle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The best way I've found to spread the glue is to apply it while turntable is on and make a big spiral from inside > out. Also get an old fly buys or similar card and carefully spread the glue while the turntable is on, from inside out. Gives a nice smooth coat which aids in drying.

Also, looks like Cheap as Chips sell the Mont Marte stuff now for $3 a bottle.

Edited by tallman5353

11 hours ago, tallman5353 said:

The best way I've found to spread the glue is to apply it while turntable is on and make a big spiral from inside > out. Also get an old fly buys or similar card and carefully spread the glue while the turntable is on, from inside out. Gives a nice smooth coat which aids in drying.

The problem is, to replace your stylus isn't 'cheap as chips' and this is a real possibility with using Mont Marte craft glue, as it apparently dries harder than Revirginizer and any residue left on the record risks taking your diamond straight off the cantilever. Ouch! This will never happen with Revirginizer. Sometimes the cheap alternative is not always the way to go. Tread carefully! Also, think carefully about using a "fly buys card"....you are spreading something on a delicate vinyl record, not spreading tile glue on a piece of cement sheet! This spreading method is fraught with danger and a risk to your precious grooves. Pouring a circle of RV around the middle of the LP (I sit the LP on a platter that has been removed from my former TT, ie: it's stationary) and spreading with your finger in a circular motion is a much safer and more accurate way to go. Good luck! :thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

Further extolling the virtues of this cleaning method, I received an "excellent + " copy of 'Rio' Duran Duran the other day and after playing it, I thought it's good to very good at best. Quite crackly, mainly random crackles, not cyclical. After treating with RV, it was near mint or better and sounded spectacular. I have 'saved' many used LP purchases using RV. Craft and wood glues will likely give similar results.....just make sure you get ALL the residue off, otherwise going cheap could end up very expensive as explained in my previous post.:thumb:

12 hours ago, tallman5353 said:

I use a bunky old TT for the job and I apply it with a 1" paint brush.  After I've applied the glue I then put on two small pieces of paper near the record edge, about 120mm apart, which I use lifting tabs.  I can't imagine using a credit card type applicator.  The paint brush actually massages the glue into grooves and I get a fairly constant, thin spread, over the record surface.  When the glue has dried I carefully lift both tabs at the same time and pull the glue skin off in one single piece with no remnants (residue) left.

39 minutes ago, stevoz said:

The problem is, to replace your stylus isn't 'cheap as chips' and this is a real possibility with using Mont Marte craft glue, as it apparently dries harder than Revirginizer and any residue left on the record risks taking your diamond straight off the cantilever. Ouch! This will never happen with Revirginizer. Sometimes the cheap alternative is not always the way to go. Tread carefully! Also, think carefully about using a "fly buys card"....you are spreading something on a delicate vinyl record, not spreading tile glue on a piece of cement sheet! This spreading method is fraught with danger and a risk to your precious grooves. Pouring a circle of RV around the middle of the LP (I sit the LP on a platter that has been removed from my former TT, ie: it's stationary) and spreading with your finger in a circular motion is a much safer and more accurate way to go. Good luck! :thumb:

There is no problem that I've encountered using the Mont Marte as I described as above.  IME the glue dries to a very thin layer of skin, and peels off in a single piece effortlessly.  It literally looks like a shedded snake skin! I'm pretty anal about my record and stylus care and am 100% confident that neither are compromised using this method.  The record surfaces come out looking mint!  I do agree about NOT using a credit card applicator though.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I glued an already washed copy of Cat Steve's 'Teaser and the Firecat' last week which was in not to bad a shape visually, but had noticeable constant low level noise when I played it through the first time. So I figured it was just in-grained dust, smoke and grit and gel glued each side to see what turned up.

The difference on playing a second time was remarkable - the damn thing plays with the silence of a CD, and there are times when this copy (which is now 45 years old) would beat any new pressing for clarity and enjoyment (pity the ratty cover can't be returned as easily to the same former glory!). I re-discovered this album, over the weekend. An old standard like 'Morning Has Broken', sounded so fresh.

Gel glue sure ain't the only way, but for me it is 100% worth the effort.

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, scuzzii said:

would you use a RCM after the glue process or its not required?

I use my Nitty Gritty Record Cleaning Machine before and after gluing. Before: to get rid of as much loose rubbish as practicable. After: in case there's residue from gluing.

When I get an ultrasonic I'll do the same, as my starting position for a record cleaning method..

Montmarte glue occasionally has a sloppy removal, where some of the glue stays behind.  This is easily seen, and if it's too hard to remove then I just re-glue over the top, and the residue from the first application comes off when you pull the new application off.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
spieling
  • Like 1

@ThirdDrawerDown There's really no need to clean again after RV if you peel it off properly, which is easy if your careful. Don't waste your time.....in fact RV is so good, I wouldn't bother cleaning beforehand either.:) I peel, inspect and it's straight to the platter to check the magic......if any residue is left (very rare) I just use the just peeled off film to carefully rub these off, they're usually on the outer edge.:thumb: @Scuzzii: Don't forget to put one or two paper tabs on the freshly laid RV film at the records edge to aid removal or you'll never get it off without record damage.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Candy, Getting ready for another sale? :)

did not realise the glue was transparent. somehow I was expecting it to be white.

When am I not?  I always make sure its in the best condition it can possibly be in (although of course, not everything needs it, thank god!!!)  :P

All the gel glues we use are clear...the PVC ones are white. I'm not using them anymore, as the gel is so much easier to use.

And just as effective.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and I wonder if any of the clear gum glues will work, like...

SSJBGUM250_jburrows_clear_gum_glue_250mlBO274976_bostik_clag_clear_gum_150ml.jpg

I think they're probably exactly the same as Mont Marte clear gum. :thumb: Wouldn't use the Clag brush for applying though!:P

27 minutes ago, simo8989 said:

Also a great turntable for use when reconing speakers!

I use my 'decommissioned' Rotel TT platter (removed) for my RV procedures, but that lazy susan would be handy with an old platter mat.:)

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

and I wonder if any of the clear gum glues will work, like...

SSJBGUM250_jburrows_clear_gum_glue_250mlBO274976_bostik_clag_clear_gum_150ml.jpg

I have tried the J Burrows clear gum glue and it worked very well. It's a bit harder to peel off than the J Burrows wood glue because it dries in a very thin layer. It's also a bit trickier to apply than white glue because it's harder to see if you have an even layer. But get it right and it's ace!

Edited by Chigurh
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

I have tried the J Burrows clear gum glue and it worked very well. It's a bit harder to peel off than the J Burrows wood glue because it dries in a very thin layer. It's also a bit trickier to apply than white glue because it's harder to see if have an even layer. But get it right and it's ace!

I was getting the impression that the clear gum glues were now preferred over the pva wood glues.  Is this not so?

Guest thathifiguy
I'm starting to wonder if Revirginizer is just Mont Marte with some light blue dye........[emoji14]

Revirginizer still peels off better and is more tacky, but the mont marte is certainly better than wood glue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk