Using 'Gel' glues on your vinyl records

Use this on 'yer discs:

image.png.ba9448d154ba0a9a37338fa3dbcb42b1.png

It goes on easy, dries quick, and peels off in one simple light rubbery pull.

ALWAYS use a fan once applied - it speeds up dry time dramatically, in all conditions, meaning you can do more sides in a session.

The sound afterwards is generally being reported as superior to other glues and methods. That is certainly my experience.

I get mine from Art Shed in Warrigal Rd Moorabbin (VIC) who always have 10+ in stock @$2.95 a pop.

Thanks to SNA member @@enikoy, for the original 'Einstein moment' with his 5 year old!   :)

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 6

I second the MM!

I got mine on ebay for $2 + $3 shipping.

If your using glue's to clean up the rice bubbles,you have to try this.It almost feels like Record Revirginizer.dry's fast,Spreds well,peels well,non-toxic and cheap as.

I also give a big thumbs up to enikoy!  This will be my go to vinyl facemask.

How do you apply it?

Soft brush maybe?

Wash your hands,and apply with your fingers.Massaging it in as you go.I also find i can be more precise using my fingers.If your not happy to do that,buy some of those gloves tattoo artists use.

Its non toxic,and it wash's off in water.That is how i do it.It comes off your hands in seconds in water.

I spose you could use a brush,but it would have to be good quality IMO.

If you want to see how to do it,just watch the RR video because the process is exactely the same.

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

The sound afterwards is generally being reported as superior to other glues and methods. That is certainly my experience.

If your using glue's to clean up the rice bubbles,you have to try this.It almost feels like Record Revirginizer.dry's fast,Spreds well,peels well,non-toxic and cheap as.

You can apply it the Record Revirginiser way:

But I apply the woodglue way:

Gentlemen,

What is the general feeling on how this compares to using an RCM?

I've got the Kiwi RCM, and am very pleased with the results I get.  I imagine the RCM would be an advantage when you have a large number of LPs to do, which was the case with me when I first got it.  

However, if this MM glue method gives the same, or better, results, then I would probably use it for when I only had a couple of LPs to clean, rather than have to get the machine out.

Edited by surprisetech
  • Like 1

Gentlemen,

What is the general feeling on how this compares to using an RCM?

I've got the Kiwi RCM, and am very pleased with the results I get.  I imagine the RCM would be an advantage when you have a large number of LPs to do, which was the case with me when I first got it.  

However, if this MM glue method gives the same, or better, results, then I would probably use it for when I only had a couple of LPs to clean, rather than have to get the machine out.

Good question!  I'm pretty tempted to give this stuff a whirl.  The results from my RCM are generally top notch, but it's as noisy as buggery and I can't listen to records while I clean.  With the MM approach I can.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Which glue is this?

I'm inclined to think it's this one (Mont Marte Clear School Glue) : http://www.artshedonline.com.au/mont-marte-clear-school-glue-147ml-washable/

Or is it this? (PVA Clear Craft Glue) : http://www.artshedonline.com.au/mont-marte-pva-clear-drying-craft-glue-1-litre/

Thanks,

Ananth

The top one- Mont Marte clear school Glue :thumb:

Edited by Capone
  • Like 1

if you get some stuck to the record you can either reapply and peel or wash it off in the sink with dishwashing liquid / water and a clean brush. I use a shaving brush specifically bought for cleaning records. $2 shops have them.

I wish they made these packs bigger - in about a 2 litre bottle would be nice.

With the amount I use to ensure a good even coverage, it costs me about 50 cents a record to do at present.

Would prefer if I could get that down to 1-15 cents, and do more of my collection that needs it but that I can't justify the 50 cents on!  

;)

As the original test-bunny for the Montmarte glue (and sometimes Titebonder..) I have to admit that I have pretty much reverted to manually wet washing my vinyl acquisitions.

Mainly because it is a quicker start to finish process and my technique seems to have been improved to a point where the wet wash gets consistently good results.

I save the glues for the following situations:

Montmarte - vinyl which post wet wash has some residual/residue noise in quiet passages. I can differentiate this from other causes by ear now.

Titebond II - vinyl which has probably had a hard life and wet wash hasn't improved it greatly. Sometimes works amazingly, sometimes does nothing at all :-)

No matter the process, my friends are still amazed how much a record can be improved with a bit of cleaning!

• Like 1

@@enikoy  I have a few LP's which have been through a wet wash, then run over my RCM but are still a bit crackly.  Does Montmarte clear up the residual crackles in your experience?  Some are still unbearably crackly - are you suggesting Montmarte isn't much chop for these LP's that have had a harder life?

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this Mont Marte gel glue on one of the store's trusty demo records (highly thrashed and gross), and I have to say I am most impressed!

It doesn't have the elasticity of Record Revirginizer when peeling off, but it's certainly better than wood glue.

Can't argue with the quality of the clean, and it dried significantly quicker than any RR cleans I've done.

Edited by Hitek Audio Video
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Ladies and Gents... the turntable you all need for effective wood/Montmarte School Glue/Gel, glueing.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40176460/?query=SNUDDA+Lazy+Susan 

The turntable I use for cleaning was free on a roadside collection, and was a "record player" turntable, not a "hifi" turntable, so it has found a higher purpose.  It has a spindle which the Ikea doesn't. 

• Like 1