StereoNet for Canberra Folks

harmo_hammer

Hi Everyone!

As a Canberra-based lad, I was directed from the introductions section to the Canberra based sub-forum. I think it's great people have gotten together for Christmas in July, but given the lack of activity in this section, I feel that maybe I can add a little something to this section to get it going. There are many audiophiles hiding in the greater Canberra area, and maybe I can encourage/aggravate people into adding their experiences/views here. Please don't take me too seriously, I bear no ill-will to any of you.. I'm just an irreverant kinda guy.

I'd really like to start sub topics on some/all of the following, feel free to do so for whatever interests you:

• Experiences with local Hi-Fi retailers, such as Duratone, Kingston Hi-Fi, Miranda Hi-Fi, Millenium AV, (if all are still around) and others that I am sure I don't know about.
  • The loaded questions: Where are the current Canberra retailers headed? Given the competition online from other Aussie cities, and abroad, where are we buying from and why?
  • What do you use your A/V for? Movies? Music? Are you transitioning from one to the other?
  • What are the current discounts available to use Canberra folks? (Perhaps to others interested in this section)
  • Weird and Wacky configurations/ideas. For example:
    • I've long been pondering the use of pre-outs on my receiver to have stereo (or surround) subs. If Yamaha has a two separate channels for sub output (left-right or front-back) on it's high end receivers, are subs (especially around th 60-80Hz or higher) so difficult to track back to the source?
    • 7.1 surround sound with 7 identical floor-standing speakers... even for the centre. Experiences? Considerations? Utter terror to ask your wife/husband if you can do it?
    • More than two subs?
    • Sound proofing?
    • DIY Speaker projects?
    • Multi-zone/room installations, perhaps with in-ceiling/in-wall speakers?
    • Outdoor setups?
  • Things you've done to get HAF/WAF?
  • How big is your AV Room? Problems you have found? Perhaps a leather-covered sofa is starting to resonate with your sound and causing all kinds of havoc? Have windows cracked? Done some re-flooring? Perhaps carpet or floorboards, did it help you?
  • What do you listen to?
    • MP3s/FLAC/Compressed Audio
    • LPs
    • Tape (Does anyone still use these?)
    • CDs
    • SACDs/Music DVDs,
    • Blu-Ray Audio (I believe it's called "Pure Audio"?)
    • Internet Radio, Digital Radio, or other signals the aliens use to encourage the wearing of Aluminium foil hats (just kidding).
  • Any funny stories? Perhaps tragic stories involving small children and perhaps paper cones, a crayon, or lost toys that have mysteriously migrated into a speaker port? Any morals/solutions that may help others to avoid such issues?
  • Where do Canberra folks go for A/V repairs?
    • Re-coiling speakers
    • Blown amps
    • TV/Projector repairs
    • Any known issues with certain makes/models.
    • Things to avoid AV heartache.
  • Cold Canberra Nights for A/V enthusiasts
    • Helpful reading material?
    • Perfect music/movie/whatever for the current weather.
    • Crazy AV ideas to ponder?

I guess what I'm really asking for is "What's on your mind?" I've just had a few suggestions that are by no means "written in stone".

All the best!

Hamish.

Edited by harmo_hammer
  • Like 1

Hello Hamish and welcome to SNA.

The 'Christmas in July' function didn't happen because of lack of interest.  I applaud your enthusiasm and it's great that you seem prepared to grasp the baton but I should warn you that there is a general apathy here to actually DO anything, despite there being quite a few members in this area.

PM me and we can continue this discussion offline.

Howdy all!

Nice to know that after only a few hours, I have had more than one response! Maybe we're not dead yet! I'm a little tied up with commitments at the moment, but I'm more than happy to muse, share my confusion, share my experiences here for the first little while.

Don't worry, the prospect of a hot choc and a chinwag is always desirable. Do any of you find it hard to meet people here in old 'Berra, outside of work and family! I know I do!

So lets start with smaller goals, I know apathy is rife when people see what they perceive to be "Grand plans", so I'll pose two simple questions to be responded to here... no need for rescheduling or my people talking to your people :)You get the idea!: 

"How long have you each been interested in audio?"  and "Is there any core piece of advice you'd give regarding your audio experiences?"

Here are my answers, one paragraph for each:

I suppose A/V gear was first a consideration when I was a kid. Hearing my neighbour's stereo when Tommy Emmanual started playnig the main melody of "The Journey"... I just loved the sound. I bought my first real (albeit second hand) amp, from Kingston Hi-Fi when I went to university.. Wow that was an improvement. From there I started doing roadie work,and later upgraded to a Denon amp with Paradigm Titans. Over time, I added a mix mash of speakers from Canberra retailers, built my own active 10" subwoofer, and I was even offered a summer internship (unpaid) at Duratone Hi-Fi... which I had to turn down in favour of paid work. I love Duratone, it's a shame theiy're so expensive.  I guess the same could be said of many Canberra based stores these days. The Internet really has opened things up for competition, and opened our eyes to what things are sold for elsewhere.

Interestingly, my piece of advice is also my objective with this little piece of the forum:

I don't think this forum should be about who has the biggest wallet. My goal is to encourage people to get the most enjoyment from what audio gear they have (or can afford if they have a clear-cut, and rational reason to upgrade).  A/V equipment alone will not make the sound great, but taking the time to install your system properly into the room it's in can make a bigger difference than spending cash on vastly more expensive components. But more importantly, learning to appreciate sound and running wild with the imagination, emotion, and story-telling details that comes from music will change your life. There are numerous music appreciation courses out there... so if you haven't already done so, invest in yourself before investing in more gear!.

Does anyone agree/disagree? I'd love to hear constructive feedback! Baby steps, we don't want to scare the timid locals away!

Hamish.

Ok, so I promised that I'd start small... but i've just found this, and the price is right. Free! With free food!

While this isn't strictly about stereos, I thought a free Latin music performance might be of interest to some. If I can finish work early enough, I'll certainly be going!

http://billboard.anu.edu.au/event_view.asp?id=109829

Anyone else interested? I guess the fundamental question here is: How do you know your system sounds great if you haven't heard music directly? Perhaps it's worth finding out?

I hope this helps!

Hamish.

Hi Hamish. Love your enthusiasm and welcome to SNA. Yes, we are a bit hopeless when it comes to get togethers, but that doesn't mean it's not worth persisting. I guess we do have our ivory towers to maintain. :)

Picking up on a couple of points in your opening post. Regarding repairs: Decky is probably to modest to mention it himself but he is an excellent tech. He has fixed a CD player and an amplifier for me, quickly, effectively and at very reasonable cost. As for discounts: 2XX subscribers get 10% off at Landspeed Records.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Let me tell you a tale, for no other reason than it may amuse you for a minute or two.

I was up in Newcastle, visiting my girlfriend's family home for combined work/social trip. Their home is lovely, built pre 1900 with extremely high ceilings, and lovely wooden floorboards. The TV is put on the mantle over a (now disused) open fireplace, but they were running one of those computer-styled subwoofer and five tiny satellite speakers from a Kenwood AV receiver, with two largish JVC bookshelves as mains, using wire that showed considerable evidence of being chewed on by rodents and/or small children. :-)

To say that these were mismatched speakers would be a significant understatement. Impedence ranged from 4-8 ohms, timbre sound much like a yodellers warble depending on which speaker got the signal (if it got it at all) and yes there were cables that you had to "jiggle it" to get it to work. Watching movies... was hard to tolerate... no wonder the folks were using subtitles. Why they didn't just use the TV's speakers is beyond me... but I think there may be a bass junkie in the household.

So as luck would have it, I was browsing through Gumtree and found a set of Yamaha NS-50F floor standing speakers, with a matching centre, subwoofer, 3x surrounds + a "not-quite-functioning" Yamaha amp. I owed the family for driving me around four U.S. states for a month and putting me up in their accommodation, so with an affordable "Thanks" present, I could improve things immensely by using their working receiver to drive the Yamaha speakers.

The guy wouldn't sell me the speakers unless I took the amp too (they were moving). Even so, I bit the bullet and then went about the task of installing it all.  I kept the broken amp because I know the folks wouldn't want any "clutter".

After setting it up, people were amazed that the voices were discernible from the bellowing cows in the background. Subtitles stayed mysteriously absent. So that made me feel better... although I still don't understand the fascination with X Factor... I guess I can't win all the time :-P

Does anyone want to have a crack at fixing an amp? I must confess my electronics skills are limited. I'd pay money to have it fixed. If not, does anyone know a good repair guy that won't charge the Earth? I'd like to match the receiver back to the speakers if possible.

Anyway, I know it's not a $40K (or more) setup, but sometimes a little investment can reap a major improvement.

I hope you're all well, and recovering safely from the long weekend!

Hamish.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to ye fellow 'berrans.

I wish I could make some sub-topics within this field. Yet it isn't within my powers. So here it is.

I'ld like to take a step back for a moment from stereos (there is madness in my method... oh wait!) and talk about some basics. I'd love to hear (well... err.. read is perhaps more appropriate) your thoughts on the matter.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as listening to some great music with a well configured sound system. It can take me from states of stress, fatigue, and indifference to relaxation, consciousness, and even appreciation. Now, I have no illusions, and I don't think that there's a "single fix for all ills". But listening to the right song, at the right time, with a little time to myself so I can listen to it properly, I can't help but be moved, and even invigorated.

I must confess that I don't typically like a great deal of top 40, (or even top 400 for that matter). I often find the songs repetitive, meaningless, and while they may have a catchy jingle... they just doesn't inspire me to feel anything much at all. Even though there's a girl/guy singing their heart out about heartache/latest love/whatever he/she's feeling, doesn't mean that I can feel it if it's lost in the translation.

Having said that, there are moments when the occasional pop/rock/jazz/blues/acapella/techno/whatever song "Just clicks" with whatever I'm thinking or feeling.

Does anyone else find that the music is aimed to be too loud? The loss of quiet moments reduces the contrast, and it seems much more like machinery running than actual emotive or thoughtful expression. Is this what it means to make popular music? If it's so popular, has the general population just got a different taste to me? Or, is it that perhaps people don't know what to appreciate in music? Am I alone in questioning this?

This leads me to the process of listening....

How many of you have a musical background? I was placed into music classes as a child, but much of it was lost on me at the time. So I ask, what is it about music that we appreciate and why? How many of us have invested in good sound systems, but neglected training our ability to actually listen, discern, feel, and understand the music. Sometimes, I think I fall into this category. But oh how I love four things:

1. Stringed instruments of almost any type.

2. Fantastic vocals

3. A stirring rythm.

4. Something interesting that I can relate to.

(Any recommendations of music with these things?, I'd love to hear your feedback on this!)

I know this sounds like airy waffle. But have any of you done a music appreciation course, and did it help? It seems that going "High end" on a sound system is a waste if the hearing/appreciation isn't great.

Also, does anyone go to concerts and listen to live music. Does this feel inherently different to you? or are we as Canberra folks, too closed-off in our own worlds to brave the elements? How does listening at home compare?

Random thoughts, responses, disagreements, things to consider? Love to hear from them.

Hamish.

Live music is a different experience. Recorded music is usually focused just on the music but live it is the whole environment that matters.

You get a much richer experience live but that does not mean the music is purer. In fact it is often not. You tend to get a better sense of what is going on with the instruments when you can see what is happening and that influences what I hear. A tuba player dancing around does tend to make you listen to the tuba a bit more ...

Any day I get to listen to a lot of music I will have most of my un-Popular music playing. Classical, jazz, funk, electronica, folk and a lot of other genres. The one genre that I tend to avoid is the hip-hop one because of its aggressive misogyny - and not identifying that well with disaffected urban youth. Oh, and to be fair... I do not listen to teen pop either.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all,

I hope you're all well! I agree that the experience between live and recorded music is inherently different. I just think that if anyone listens to just recorded music, then it's hard to guage if a stereo is doing it's job well, or if the recording process has changed the entire feel of the sound. Maybe for the better, but who's to say?

If you have a minute, and want to laugh, I guess this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.wimp.com/recordingengineer/

To be completely honest, I rarely go to "Live" events because I really hate things to be too loud. I sometimes wonder if people are just deaf (maybe because they keep going to concerts) or just have a higher pain threshold. But I do enjoy the more low key live performances, where volume isn't mistaken as a viable alternative to talent. I want to enjoy sound, not be tortured by it.

Peta is right, seeing someone playing/singing/thumping/crashing a car full of strangled cats into the contestants of "Who wants to be a star" (ok maybe that wouldn't be noticeable, sonically) will draw attention to them, and we'd all actively listen to it. Much like sudden movement redirects our attention, then we bring our other senses into it.

RFCalais, thanks for the response, I had no idea that audiotech existed. Although I must confess I don't get down to the south side as often as I'd like. I'm afraid I'm frantically up-skilling until the end of November, perhaps after then? But obviously not too close to Xmas. If that doesn't suit, perhaps early next year?

Tachikoma, student discounts are great, I'm glad someone can get cheap tickets... although I must confess I have no idea what/who/where CSO is/are. Perhaps I'm showing my age by not keeping up with the "Hip youth of today". :-)

Question for the day:

Bi-Amping! Most power amps seem to run from the pre-outs of other receivers/pre-amps. If one bi-amps to run the high-range drivers in speakers from a receiver's normal amplified connections at 120W per channel, and a dedicated power amp of nearly exact wattage (say 125W per channel) to run the lower frequency drivers, does this produce a noticeable difference? Never bothered with biamping, does anyone do it? If so, love to hear your experience.

Have fun!

Hamish.

I think next year would be fine. Given we are not far from Christmas.

In relation to Bi-amping. Short answer is yes it makes a huge difference. The lows are far more controlled. The mids and highs are more defined. In most scenarios the staging will improve. Sometimes to the point speakers need re positioning.

I have listened to number of speakers that really lack life unless at least bi-wired. But bi-amping takes it to the next level.

Cheers Sean  

Being a student, I can get CSO tickets for $20, which is awesome :D I don't think listening to recorded music will ever come close to having the same effect as seeing music being made, live.

That is most true for classical music. The sensual experience and ambience make the evening. When not able to see live performance we need to make do with recorded music... that sounds as good as we can get/affort

G'day folks,

thought it was about time I grabbed the opportunity to throw some words at the forum. I joined a few months ago and have been lurking about to find all sorts of useful information as I commence my stereo listening journey. I live outside of Canberra but work in Tuggeranong so I've, at various times, made a visit to some of the Canberra haunts for hifi gear - Duratone (bought my current AVR - Denon 3310), Miranda HiFi (Rotel RCD 06SE - boy did that make a difference to the sound coming from the speakers!).

I've been more in the AV side of things since about 2001 when I wandered into Audiotech and basically had my jaw hit the ground as I watched/listened to the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Apart from the Kenwood CD player and Amp I walked away with Colin Whatmoughs AVR speaker setup - floorstanders, centre and two surrounds. I didn't need to contemplate a sub as the bass from the two fronts was  great for a small room with slate floors. Fast forward to now and I'm about to bite the bullet and grab a pair of  Whatmough P33's, new centre with the same driver as the P33's and a Rotel RB 1582MK2 stereo amp. The 'old' floorstanders are earmarked for the man cave where the old Kenwood amp is still churning away.

The stereo music bug bit after I made the decision that riding motorbikes was no longer viable so it was a case of swapping one passion for another. For some reason my good lady was happy with me giving up the bikes and has come to terms with my new love - kinda.  As far as stereo knowledge of all things relevant I'm definitely paddling around in the shallow end of the knowledge pool But I think I have a cunning plan - just haven't worked out the reasoning for explaining to my dearest that it really is worthwhile to go for an even better CD player as well as a pre Amp so that I can keep the AVR out of the music loop. Not to say that the Denon has been horrible to listen to its just that in time I'd like to keep the music side of the hardware in place for the sole purpose of making great sound.

Well that's the theory anyway and I've been heartened to read lines of thought that support my reasoning here in the forums. Just going to have to work at keeping a straight face when I tell her good self that the new bit of kit that has suddenly turned up is borrowed/on trial/off the back of a truck/followed me home... etc.

Hope to catch up with you good folks at some point.

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sean,  I'll keep an eye on here. I hope your sale went well! Did any other folks from this forum turn up?

Anyway, here's a scary thought for everyone here, there's 37 days to Christmas.  Does anyone have any exciting wish-list for the red-bellied sleigh (not slave) driving Eskimo that has successfully bought the goodwill of the masses by showing them with gifts?

Speaking of wish list, I ordered some speaker cable from eBay because two Jaycars were out of stock. I was amazed that the postage from Melbourne was $24.50. At first, I thought that was a bit rich.. but then I realied how heavy a wooden spool with 100m of 8 AWG wire weighed. Now I think they didn't charge me enough. Seriously, including the reinforced double cardboard box, and the wooded spool the was 26 Kg and very bulky. For those out there, I can assure you, finding a banana plug that 8 AWG wire fits into... is interesting. But for now, bare wire is fine by me.

Hope you all are well!

Hamish

Howdy all,  work commitments mean that my audio dalliances are minimal at present, but I live in hope.

Mainly a vinyl listener with a Garrard 401, The Wand tonearm and an Ortofon Rondo Blue MC into a MF V-LPS/V-PSU phono amp feeding my own scratch built EL84/6CG7 PP amp wired in triode with zero NFB, fixed bias on the output tubes and LED bias on the input and phase splitter tubes (no cathode caps anywhere).

Speakers are at present a home built sub using Audax HDA drivers and a pair of KEF HTS "eggs".

CD *was* an Audiolab CD8000CDE but it needs to go back to Miranda probably to get a new mainboard as it has developed a fault...

Would really like some speakers with higher efficiency to make better use of the 5 watts or so that I have on tap, but self employed in a small business in the current political/economic climate means the resources aren't there at present...

Been into 2 channel audio since about 1990 when I was in Adelaide and had a pair of Acoustic Research M1's and a little denon CD player and a timber cased luxman integrated.  

The Canberra audio scene is pretty vanilla when it comes to equipment.  HT, surround amps, low/mid end solid state, speakers topping out at 89dB or so.  We don't have a large enough population to support anyone playing in the tube, SET, single driver, higher efficiency or horn area.  Audience ribbons and Martin Logan electrostatics are about as freaky as audio is able to get here.  I miss The Music Room who were at least playing with Audionote SE amps and Magneplanars back in the day.

The Canberra audio scene is pretty vanilla when it comes to equipment.  HT, surround amps, low/mid end solid state, speakers topping out at 89dB or so.  We don't have a large enough population to support anyone playing in the tube, SET, single driver, higher efficiency or horn area.  Audience ribbons and Martin Logan electrostatics are about as freaky as audio is able to get here.  I miss The Music Room who were at least playing with Audionote SE amps and Magneplanars back in the day.

You don't know the right people!   I have all of the above, plus Harbeth SHL5s and a Mastersound 845 integrated.

PM me if you'd like a listen. (Or anyone else for that matter.)

Edited by bronal

Certainly bronal, there are a select few folks in Canberra who possess these things, but nowhere that would deign to sell them...

On an amusing note, the shop that is permanently holding a "HIFI SALE" (at 99% of RRP) still manages to trade despite having 75% of the store filled with unwanted consignment items or cartons of secondhand records that never sell...  Who knows how viable they could be if they had a workable retail space.  Oh well, at least I'm now old enough to be out of the demographic that they automatically sneer at.  I've never understood what it was in their business model that made the place viable.  Not price, not customer support...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to fellow ACTans

There seems to me to be a lot of good equipment in Canberra - mostly via Ebay and interstate visits, of which I am guilty!

I am now into DIY because I like making things in spite of being new to the arena.

I have made VSonics speakers (beaut), am making Metronomes with a 6 inch Fostex full range (timber CNC cut by Sound With Style in Geelong. He also does Frugel-horn flat packs), am about to make Roy Mottram's valve phone stage and pre-amp (tudes4hifi), I have made Rod Elliott's solid state phono stage (ESP Electronics) and on the horizon is Transcendent's OTL Son of Beast, and Tom Christiansens 'Damn Good' 300B amp and his solid state Modulus 86.

I solder the cold nights away!

I would be glad to join in get togethers. Listening to other people's gear and sharing this crazy hobbie would be added fun

Wayne

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Is anyone up for a get-together? I know the guys at Audiotech were talking about it.. and I'm still keeping an eye on that, but I thought I'd take some of the burden from them. If anyone wants to catch up over a hot beverage on Sat 7th of Feb? (Let's make it somewhere between 11am and 3pm). I think Tilleys would be a good venue, since they often have some nice music playing and it's pretty well known.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Hamish

• Like 1