SOLD: FS: Thorens TD 2001 turntable complete!

Guest Misterioso

Guest Misterioso

Item: Thorens TD 2001 turntable incl. Thorens TP 90 tonearm and Ortofon Vero MC cartridge
Price: $1500
Item Condition: Stunning (with two very small blemishes explained below), cartridge has low hours
Reason for selling: Too many turntables
Payment Method: Cash on pickup (no shipping)
Extra Info: Please see below
Pictures: Please see below

I am selling my Thorens TD 2001 turntable. The turntable is about 20 years old. It was the last turntable produced by the original Thorens company before it closed down. The TD 2001 is the successor of the TD 320. Like the TD 320, the TD 2001 has a leaf spring suspension, which isolates the unit from vibration. Unlike the TD 320, the TD 2001 has a plinth of 16mm strong massive wood. This was a high end turntable in its time. It still is a very capable performer and very much sought after worldwide. The TD 2001 is VERY rare in Australia. The turntable comes with its original Thorens TP 90 tonearm (eff. mass 17g, with TP 95 headshell) and an Ortofon Vero MC cartridge. The Vero was never officially imported to Australia (info from Speakerbits) but used to be a highly popular choice for the TD 2001 in Germany.

I bought this set on 10.09.2013 from a German audio shop for 1032 Euro ($1480) including shipping. The package had one earlier owner and was kept in immaculate condition. The shop told me that the Vero cartridge has low hours and I have no reason to doubt this. The sound this cartridge produces is fabulous. The whole package did not play much at my place because I mostly listen to my Brinkmann Bardo turntable. The idea of having a second system did not work out. During transportation to Australia, the two top left corners of the plinth got slightly damaged. See the picture for the front damage, the rear one is the same. These are very minor damages. You need to pay particular attention to notice them at all. If they bother you, paint them over with a black pen. Otherwise the whole package is in stunning condition.

​I lubricated the main bearings after the shipping using a dedicated maintenance kit for the TD 2001 sold by a former Thorens employee (Joel) on eBay. The kit comes with instructions. There is still enough lubrication available (filled in syringes) for decades of good service. I also bought an original brand new replacement belt from the same seller (the belt is still unused and included). I paid 42 Euro for these accessories. Tom from Speakerbits lubricated the motor. I paid $95 for this. The turntable is running like new. The automatic stop at the end of the record is working well. 

The turntable comes with all original papers (manual, guarantee card, Ortofon manual and guarantee card for the Vero, see pictures below), a 45 adapter, the original transportation safety screws, a pair of original Thorens interconnects, a Thorens ground cable and a Thorens PSU. The plug is German but I will provide an adapter. The unit was produced for usage on 220V. I used it in Australia (230V) without problems.

This is a complete plug-and-play system. Connect it and enjoy!

Here are the pictures:

dsc_70039bkwd.jpg

dsc_7000hlbjb.jpg

dsc_699873b6t.jpg

dsc_7002ddj1o.jpg

dsc_7001okxj9.jpg

dsc_7004ezj8d.jpg

dsc_7008gclvo.jpg

dsc_7013d5fb5.jpg

Guest Mr Thorens

The TD320 is an outstanding turntable once the stock arm has been replaced with something better. This TD2001 looks very promising. Good luck with the sale.

Guest Misterioso

The TD320 is an outstanding turntable once the stock arm has been replaced with something better. 

Just for clarification for other readers, the TD 320 comes with a TP 16 (Mk III or IV) tonearm, the TD 2001 comes with a TP 90 tonearm.

Very nice TT, funny thing is, I was just reading about this TT on thevintageknob. High praises for it being the best bang/buck/performance between Thorens other higher end models of the time and there TOTL stuff (Prestige, Reference and one other Limited Edition model).

It's great to see people respecting vintage gear with care and keeping it in the condition OP has pictured of (minus the little ding on the corner). 

Edited by DefQon

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation.

Donation Payment Options

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:

donate-button.png

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.