Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 800 Integrated

@@MusicOne did you ever get to have a listen?

Would be interesting to hear some thoughts on this big sucker.

There is a guy over at Audiokarma or audioafficianado.. can't remember which, but anyhow, he has a stack of high end gear and had the Nuvista 800 for a couple of months. At first he absolutely loved it... then he started complaining about hearing some sibilance to vocals which he couldn't continue living with. He mentioned the perceived problem/weakness to Musical Fidelity who didn't want to know about it... He has since moved it on, and replaced with Devialet dual mono 400. 

• Like 1

@@MusicOne did you ever get to have a listen?

Would be interesting to hear some thoughts on this big sucker.

There is a guy over at Audiokarma or audioafficianado.. can't remember which, but anyhow, he has a stack of high end gear and had the Nuvista 800 for a couple of months. At first he absolutely loved it... then he started complaining about hearing some sibilance to vocals which he couldn't continue living with. He mentioned the perceived problem/weakness to Musical Fidelity who didn't want to know about it... He has since moved it on, and replaced with Devialet dual mo

@@Darren69 No Darren, not been up to Sydney for quite a few months.

@@wikeeboy I can remember something similar with my Nu Vista M3 integrated. The sibilance was evident for about the first few months, then it mysteriously disappeared, never to return. It might be a characteristic of the Nu Vista valves....perhaps they require a fair bit of burn-in....not sure. 

I'll be reviewing the Nu-Vista 800, and 2 other very promising high-end integrated amplifiers among other gear, in the upcoming issue of Audio Esoterica. Should be at the newsagents and Zinio, iTunes, etc by mid to late May.

Cheers,

EK

• Like 2

I'll be reviewing the Nu-Vista 800, and 2 other very promising high-end integrated amplifiers among other gear, in the upcoming issue of Audio Esoterica. Should be at the newsagents and Zinio, iTunes, etc by mid to late May.

Cheers,

EK

Great, look forward to reading it :)

Cheers,

EK

Horizontal heat sinks? 

What temperature did you measure the heat sinks at, after the 40% maximum power pre-conditioning period?

Horizontal heat sinks? 

What temperature did you measure the heat sinks at, after the 40% maximum power pre-conditioning period?

The amp runs moderately warm all round. The heatsinks are doing their job. It's a Class-A/B amp so no major heat issues there. Hasn't been to the lab for measuring/testing yet but may do so soon.

Cheers,

EK

The amp runs moderately warm all round. The heatsinks are doing their job. It's a Class-A/B amp so no major heat issues there. Hasn't been to the lab for measuring/testing yet but may do so soon.

Cheers,

EK

With low bias currents, I'm sure the heat sinks will be adequate. I wonder about the amp's ability to deal with high(ish) continuous power levels though. Proper lab testing should reveal any problems, if they exist.

look forward to your local review too, myself I ran a gutsy MF power amp for near on a decade (with horizontal fins) also ran moderately warm and I never bothered to switch it off for that duration. still sounded gorgeous when I traded it in.

wonder if mf has plans to do a nuvista power amp ... probably would peak a lot of interest too I think :)

• Like 1

look forward to your local review too, myself I ran a gutsy MF power amp for near on a decade (with horizontal fins) also ran moderately warm and I never bothered to switch it off for that duration. still sounded gorgeous when I traded it in.

wonder if mf has plans to do a nuvista power amp ... probably would peak a lot of interest too I think :)

It looks like MF has a power amp in the pipeline....the image below if taken from the Nu Vista 800's user manual wiring diagram:

Doc1.pdf

P.S. Can't copy diagram directly from the user manual....don't know why? Tried to copy and paste, but it didn't work.

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 1

Agreed, I'm sure MF is working on a pre/power combo. 

Thanks to all that expressed positive views and anticipation for the next Audio Esoterica issue. Appreciate the support.

ZB, the NV 800 was driving my extremely demanding Alexia without breaking a sweat. It sounded powerful, dynamic and with stunning bass control, all at high to very high listening levels. No concerns there.

Cheers,

EK

Agreed, I'm sure MF is working on a pre/power combo. 

Thanks to all that expressed positive views and anticipation for the next Audio Esoterica issue. Appreciate the support.

ZB, the NV 800 was driving my extremely demanding Alexia without breaking a sweat. It sounded powerful, dynamic and with stunning bass control, all at high to very high listening levels. No concerns there.

Cheers,

EK

@@kramered Did you ever hear the original Nu Vista M3 integrated? If so, how much better is the NV 800? 

Sorry @@MusicOne never heard the M3. Only other integrated from MF was the kW500 which I owned for a short time. Compared to the kW500, going from unreliable memory, the NV 800 has better bass control and sounds more dynamic. Also may be a tad more detailed.

Cheers,

EK

Thanks, @@kramered...just wondered. The original Nu Vista series included a power amp....all Nu Vista valves. I doubt that they'll do that this time. My guess is that MF will release a NV pre and a SS power amp to match....doubt that there would be enough NV valves left to make full power amps with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Did any of MF's Tri-Vista series ever make it down under ?, I was just reading up about the kW monoblocks, their specs could make any speaker quake in it's boots

"Each kW chassis has a single-ended input and is rated at 1000W into 8 ohms, 1800 into 4 ohms, and a speaker-boggling 3000W into 2 ohms. Instantaneous peak output is a frightening 5000W, with a peak current potential of ±200 amps and output voltage of around 130 amps"

P1020416.JPG

• Like 1

Did any of MF's Tri-Vista series ever make it down under ?, I was just reading up about the kW monoblocks, their specs could make any speaker quake in it's boots

"Each kW chassis has a single-ended input and is rated at 1000W into 8 ohms, 1800 into 4 ohms, and a speaker-boggling 3000W into 2 ohms. Instantaneous peak output is a frightening 5000W, with a peak current potential of ±200 amps and output voltage of around 130 amps"

P1020416.JPG

I think Len Wallis Audio had these in their inventory, back when they were available. Wouldn't be surprised if they sold a couple of pairs.....there was a matching pre amp from memory....didn't get to hear any though. 

• 5 months later...

I've had a NuVista in my system for an audition and wrote A short review

As far as integrateds are concerned I think this is Musical Fidelitys best effort yet.   It will likely replace my Gryphon Diablo.

I note there has been no recent comments on this thread.  Has anyone else had the opportunity to audition this product?

Cheers

Ralph

• Like 4

I've had a NuVista in my system for an audition and wrote A short review

As far as integrateds are concerned I think this is Musical Fidelitys best effort yet.   It will likely replace my Gryphon Diablo.

I note there has been no recent comments on this thread.  Has anyone else had the opportunity to audition this product?

Cheers

Ralph

Fantastic writeup mate :thumb:  Very professionally written, you should be writing for the mags! You've provided a great explanation of the good points and shortcomings of the nuvista.

I was considering this amp but after owning the Devialet 200 for a while, and also listening to Mola Mola's (Ncore1200) i think i'd miss the dynamism/excitement and also epic bottom end that those 2 provide.

• Like 2