Apple watch

3 hours battery life if one is working out with the heart rate monitor on and listening to music.

How long we been working out?

Over three hours, my watch is dead.

So much for hiking, long rides and awesome love-long-time sex.

while bleeding edgers will scramble to be first to sample...I for one will pass...perhaps the 2nd gen of these...but am sure will own an apple watch at some stage.

will be handy for bike riding I think...perhaps for jogging if gives heart rate...but cant see it removing the need to carry the iPhone.

• 4 weeks later...

:o

Does such a thing exist?

:lol:

Visited a site just before Christmas where I had to surrender my iPhone before entering for the day ... Felt naked the entire day

I had no phone reception for my entire extended Easter holiday. Liberating although took a couple of days to get used to not carrying it or checking it constantly. My iPad had very weak signal and after a day or 2 I couldn't be bothered going online.

Thankfully the local pub still showed the footy on Saturday night.

Curiosity got the better of me today so I wandered into the local Apple Store. No sign of the MacBook 12 Retina.

But lots of watches on display.

I have to say the watch looks a lot better in the flesh. The fit and finish as with Apple's product is usually top notch but here, it is been taken up to a different level.

It does feel and look like a luxury product. I remember reading in AudioAfficianado that someone had seen one while developing apps for it for his company. I can see why now.

The UI as with Apple gear is always intuitive and easy to get around without needing a manual. All the articles about the little nuances that the software team considered bears out.

I still don't need an Apple Watch. But I have developed a bit of a lust for it.

Still can't figure out why I would want to pay 1.7k Australian dollars for a stainless steel watch with stainless steel band though :)

• Like 1

Yeah the one I would go for is quoting June delivery. Mainly considering for cycling purposes as well as my current Certina watch is on the skids and 2 repairs have failed to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curiosity got the better of me today so I wandered into the local Apple Store. No sign of the MacBook 12 Retina.

But lots of watches on display.

I have to say the watch looks a lot better in the flesh. The fit and finish as with Apple's product is usually top notch but here, it is been taken up to a different level.

It does feel and look like a luxury product. I remember reading in AudioAfficianado that someone had seen one while developing apps for it for his company. I can see why now.

The UI as with Apple gear is always intuitive and easy to get around without needing a manual. All the articles about the little nuances that the software team considered bears out.

I still don't need an Apple Watch. But I have developed a bit of a lust for it.

Still can't figure out why I would want to pay 1.7k Australian dollars for a stainless steel watch with stainless steel band though :)

Is that what they are asking? 1.7K?

Between 500 and 1.7k for the different standard aluminum and steel models. Then a huge jump up the the fancy gold versions (up to ridiculous $17k+)

500 ish looks ok but I cant understand the short battery life.

• Like 1

The basic 38mm Sport model with aluminum watch and a synthetic sport strap is $499.

AFAIK the Sport doesn't use sapphire glass.

I think the 1.7k is the black stainless steel 42mm version (watch and strap)

But I did see a black aluminum version for abt 799? The stainless steel strap is 599. Haven't seen the black stainless steel strap for sale separately.

Edited by DoggieHowser

Between 500 and 1.7k for the different standard aluminum and steel models. Then a huge jump up the the fancy gold versions (up to ridiculous $17k+)

500 ish looks ok but I cant understand the short battery life.

yikes a bit of cash there ! either way...will pass for now I think...maybe gen 2 ... lower in price and hopefully better battery wise etc.

yikes a bit of cash there ! either way...will pass for now I think...maybe gen 2 ... lower in price and hopefully better battery wise etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath for either lower prices or better battery life. Check out this post by Jason Snell about how Apple picks a battery life that it deems acceptable and, when it revises it's products, chooses to go slimmer rather than increase battery life.

http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/01/battery-life-apples-solving-for-x/

So long as it lasts for a day (and from the reviews it seems it does) then there's no point in increasing it to 1.5 days. and battery tech doesn't follow Moore's law.

Price-wise, if people buy it at the price it is at, they'll take that as tacit approval of pricing and probably never reduce it. Unless the AUD gets much better.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold your breath for either lower prices or better battery life. Check out this post by Jason Snell about how Apple picks a battery life that it deems acceptable and, when it revises it's products, chooses to go slimmer rather than increase battery life.

So long as it lasts for a day (and from the reviews it seems it does) then there's no point in increasing it to 1.5 days. and battery tech doesn't follow Moore's law.

Price-wise, if people buy it at the price it is at, they'll take that as tacit approval of pricing and probably never reduce it. Unless the AUD gets much better.

am just thinking iPads that improved with price going down, battery life etc improving :)

am pretty reluctant to buy in at this stage I think. 

We can all critised the battery life of every Apple device including up to the over the counter top of the line MacBook Pro 15"

But what about the opposition. My daughter has the latest Nokia Windows phone with an OLED display, she says she rarely get the life it's rated on that spec sheet.

And for the iPad Air 2, I have a work issue 64gb with SIM to access 4G, once fully charge I get at least 8+ hours on it, what other tablet on the market that will achieve at least 80% of battery life that's indicated on that spec sheet? The only other device that possible beat it is the Surface Pro3 that claims 12-13hrs, some here who have the Surface Pro3 might tune in and give us a real indication on what they get

The MacBook Pro 15" claims 7hrs surfing the net. I do get close to that before its prompts a message. I have used Dell and Lenovo and none of those get near 6hrs. The closes would be a Lenovo 240 that just makes it to 5hrs but that surfing the net. But the MacBook Pro 15" capabilities will out do most laptops and desktops out there in sheer performance.

• Like 1

How can you guys be prepared to purchase something from a company that pays stuff all tax in Aussie on your purchases.

Why don't you all boycott Apple?

Well if that's the case let's boycott IKEA while we're at it...

I've been a non Apple user all my life......until I saw why my daughters school issued her a macbook, then I watch my son get s MacBook pro, Performance, usability and built quality is 2nd to none! That's why Apple is so successful at what it does...

How can you guys be prepared to purchase something from a company that pays stuff all tax in Aussie on your purchases.

Why don't you all boycott Apple?

I do boycott Apple, don't buy their stuff for myself. Only kids use Apple.