Accuphase owners????????

Guest Misterioso

Hi, I have an Accuphase E-207 for sale (in black). I am the first owner. I used it for many years with a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 (which are now sold). PM if interested. Cheers, Jim

Edited by Misterioso

I LOVE my C-2420 pre amp if that helps. Of all my kit this is the last bit I would part with.

Built like a tank, flawless operation, and sounds very good to my ear. Smooth would be the word. And it's capable of amazing imaging if you feed it right. Plus it has features (tone controls) which irritates the minimalist audiophiles who need to suffer horrid recordings for their art.

Maybe we should have an accuphase thread.

• Like 1

Hi Mate,

I own an E-460 and I've got to say I absolutely love it. When the universe aligns down the track and I find myself in the position to own separates I hope they are Accuphase. 

Agree with everything the good doctor has said, a gorgeous smooth sound with a holographic sound stage/pin point imaging. I'm a huge fan, and they seem to be an awesome match with my Dynaudio C1's.

Cheers,

Soapy 

Thanks Soapy. Heard the e460 and really enjoyed it. Wondering if anyone has a e600 in Melbourne.

The E600 hasn't been around that long...a fairly new model, I think. I've found that it is very difficult to audition Accuphase components. In Sydney, there is a dealer at Liverpool....a very helpful guy, but he can't afford to stock the more expensive Accuphase products. It seems to me the Accuphase is way overpriced in Australia....they would sell better if the brand was more realistically priced. I suspect it's down to the distributor (in WA)....he likes an easy life, so if he only sells a few components at inflated prices, then it's a nice little earner. I've been thinking of contacting Accuphase, direct, and informing them of the situation....the distributor may have misled them about pricing....we'll see.  

• Like 1

It seems to me the Accuphase is way overpriced in Australia....they would sell better if the brand was more realistically priced. I suspect it's down to the distributor (in WA)....he likes an easy life, so if he only sells a few components at inflated prices, then it's a nice little earner. I've been thinking of contacting Accuphase, direct, and informing them of the situation....the distributor may have misled them about pricing....we'll see.

If you think we are getting ripped have you looked at the markup in the USA.

C-2420 ~$7500 Japan, ~$12000 Australia, ~$18000 USA

Accuphase seem quite comfortable about this. I suspect they sell as much as they can make so don't care. No doubt they would sell a lot more if the price was close to the Japanese but don't get your hopes up. Certainly I would collect some other Accuphase gear if I could.

• Like 1

True. OTHO, the Australian distributors are proving to be very helpful ATM, as I attempt to restore a 30 year old Accuphase.

Good to know, Zaph. The Accuphase components I've had a chance to audition have all been excellent performers.....those prices, though. 

Good to know, Zaph. The Accuphase components I've had a chance to audition have all been excellent performers.....those prices, though.

Makes it worth restoring. The owner had it stuck away for many years. A chance discussion revealed that he had a P500:

http://audio-database.com/Accuphase-kensonic/amp/P-500-e.html

He hadn't placed any value on it, since it doesn't work. When I suggested a possible value, he decided to have it restored.

Doncha just love that Japanese-English description?

• Like 2

Makes it worth restoring. The owner had it stuck away for many years. A chance discussion revealed that he had a P500:

http://audio-database.com/Accuphase-kensonic/amp/P-500-e.html

He hadn't placed any value on it, since it doesn't work. When I suggested a possible value, he decided to have it restored.

Doncha just love that Japanese-English description?

A mate of mine got himself a Luxman amp, way back in the early 1980s and the brochure which accompanied it was almost the funniest thing I'd ever read....Japanese English like you wouldn't believe. Accuphase and Luxman are both top brands, though....you really can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

A mate of mine got himself a Luxman amp, way back in the early 1980s and the brochure which accompanied it was almost the funniest thing I'd ever read....Japanese English like you wouldn't believe. Accuphase and Luxman are both top brands, though....you really can't go wrong.

Well, Accuphase is. Some of the Luxman stuff is seriously ordinary. Mind you, some is exceptional. Like Sansui.

Bear in mind that Accuphase will flatly refuse to offer any service assistance to gear bought from OS, even 20 year old vintage gear.

Yes they aren't the only ones-- I recently was advised by another Aust Importer that the item I bought from OS and attempted to sell on the Classifieds here--would in his words--

"get no warranty nor factory service if I sold to an SNA member"

I never asked nor enquired for any of the aforementioned.

Caveat Emptor

Willco

Edited by Willco

Yes they aren't the only ones-- I recently was advised by another Aust Importer that the item I bought from OS and attempted to sell on the Classifieds here--would in his words--

"get no warranty nor factory service if I sold to an SNA member"

I never asked nor enquired for any of the aforementioned.

Caveat Emperor

Willco

Wilco...I am sure you meant Caveat Emptor...I am not sure who the Emperor of Caveat is...

I have personally experienced a significant financial burden as a direct result of ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS adopting spurious, out-dated, anti-competitive & trade restrictive practises specifically designed to artificially justify inflated retail prices & limit supply.

If a seller of a product on SNA or anywhere else for that matter, is aware that service or repair may be not be available and/or just as importantly access to Service Manual/s ...then they have a duty to disclose this information as part of their sales description...at least in my opinion

That Accuphase do not do this in any of their sales brochures demonstrates a complete lack of honesty & transparency in their marketing & sales policy...

• Like 4

Ah indeed thank you Rob--Spellcjeck can be b***er if left on  :thumb:

Arena have been around since Captain Phillip--I presume they feel they  can do as they please--and damn the Torpedo's!

Willco( TWO LL's thank you :P -- there is already a one L Wil on the Site)

Hope all well

Willco

My humblest of apologies Willco...with 2 LL's...

Accuphase have good products...no doubt about that...but the marketing & treatment of Accuphase owners who have purchased products through the World Wide Web in a global economy where FTA's abound...is nothing short of disgraceful...

It has to change & I am going to do my utmost to attempt to be a catalyst for that change...

• Like 1

That Accuphase do not do this in any of their sales brochures demonstrates a complete lack of honesty & transparency in their marketing & sales policy...

Not true and way off the Mark about the company. Accuphase clearly state that their warranty is only valid in the country of purchase and that all warranty enquiries are to be made to the local distributor. It is up to the distributor to decide pricing and local repair policies.

But you can't just buy non-Australian sourced gear at a fraction of the local price and expect the local distributor to encourage that practice. There are foreign companies that supply Accuphase and other gear at Japanese prices and they will organise repairs if needed but you have to ship it back there.

I can prove my statement to be 100% correct...warranty is not the issue...

ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS adopting spurious, out-dated, anti-competitive & trade restrictive practises specifically designed to artificially justify inflated retail prices & limit supply is the issue...

In a global economy where goods are traded via the internet for everything from gold to wheat to guns...& Free Trade Agreements abound between countries...the ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS selectively implemented policy has to change...

Especially as it is not advertised in any of their marketing brochures or divulged by their resellers...ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS rely totally on a single paragraph that is listed under Warranty Disclaimer Information....that has to be interpreted by the distributor to be fully understood...

What has that got to do with a piece of Accuphase equipment that is out of warranty & over 5 years old...this BS has to stop...

• Like 1

I can prove my statement to be 100% correct...warranty is not the issue...

ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS adopting spurious, out-dated, anti-competitive & trade restrictive practises specifically designed to artificially justify inflated retail prices & limit supply is the issue...

In a global economy where goods are traded via the internet for everything from gold to wheat to guns...& Free Trade Agreements abound between countries...the ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS selectively implemented policy has to change...

Especially as it is not advertised in any of their marketing brochures or divulged by their resellers...ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS rely totally on a single paragraph that is listed under Warranty Disclaimer Information....that has to be interpreted by the distributor to be fully understood...

What has that got to do with a piece of Accuphase equipment that is out of warranty & over 5 years old...this BS has to stop...

Accuphase will supply Arena Distributors whatever they order. But Arena is a part-time one man show now without a shop front and not pushing the product. They don't really have stock to speak of although they have arrangements with one or two dealers.

Arena was founded by Hal Wallis and in the early days Australia was a major market. When Hal retired, his business was run by family and ultimately the current owner who used to work for them. Others have tried to get the distributorship on the basis that they could increase sales but Accuphase remains loyal to its distributors.

Although it doesn't help us, I can't help but admire their ethics because other brands will dump a distributor like a hot potato if they don't meet the sales KPI's. As far as I know, no other brands remained loyal to Arena which was once one of the nations leading audio wholesaler/ distributors.

Very few high end brands ( and not so high-end) will supply parts let alone warranty for equipment purchased overseas because it undermines the local business. There is NO price fixing by Accuphase ( which is 100% illegal anyway) and I happen to know that Accuphase supplies their goods to countries outside Japan at prices which are at least as good as what Japanese dealers pay. So distributors can choose how much they sell it for and how many they want to sell. In western countries consumers get ripped off but Asian consumers don't bend over and expose their backsides like the Westerners so their dealers in HK and Vietnam for example, are very competitive.

I have bought new Accuphase gear both locally and overseas over the past 20 years and have never needed any form of repair.

Edited by Tasso

Accuphase will supply Arena Distributors whatever they order. But Arena is a part-time one man show now without a shop front and not pushing the product. They don't really have stock to speak of although they have arrangements with one or two dealers.

Arena was founded by Hal Wallis and in the early days Australia was a major market. When Hal retired, his business was run by family and ultimately the current owner who used to work for them. Others have tried to get the distributorship on the basis that they could increase sales but Accuphase remains loyal to its distributors.

Although it doesn't help us, I can't help but admire their ethics because other brands will dump a distributor like a hot potato if they don't meet the sales KPI's. As far as I know, no other brands remained loyal to Arena which was once one of the nations leading audio wholesaler/ distributors.

Very few high end brands ( and not so high-end) will supply parts let alone warranty for equipment purchased overseas because it undermines the local business. There is NO price fixing by Accuphase ( which is 100% illegal anyway) and I happen to know that Accuphase supplies their goods to countries outside Japan at prices which are at least as good as what Japanese dealers pay. So distributors can choose how much they sell it for and how many they want to sell. In western countries consumers get ripped off but Asian consumers don't bend over and expose their backsides like the Westerners so their dealers in HK and Vietnam for example, are very competitive.

I have bought new Accuphase gear both locally and overseas over the past 20 years and have never needed any form of repair.

That is a good story but it is not relevant to the issues I have raised...if you want to start an Arena Distributors are good guys thread...go right ahead...

That does not change the fact that ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS are adopting spurious, out-dated, anti-competitive & trade restrictive practises specifically designed to artificially justify inflated retail prices & limit supply...

If you have been unfortunate enough to purchase a used Accuphase product & the seller DID NOT alert you to the Accuphase policy of only supporting a product in the country where it was sold new...you are farked...through no fault of your own...the information is not widely known & is certainly not advertised publicly by Accuphase for obvious reasons. ACCUPHASE & ARENA DISTRIBUTORS hide behind a Warranty Policy disclaimer whilst  interpreting & extending that policy to all used equipment where warranty is no longer applicable.

The are good laws & bad laws...there are good company policies & bad company policies...this is an old, out-dated business policy the is a bad company policy...it adversely affects the consumer & Accuphase owners alike...the only way to change a bad law or policy is to start a ground swell of opposition..it may as well be me.

What really surprises me is that it adversely affects Accuphase reputation in the market place. Most companies value their brand name & protect vigorously protect...whereas this current Accuphase policy does the exact opposite.

There is a simple policy change that can & should be adopted...it will not adversely impact gross margins for new Accuphase products yet provide an avenue for existing & potential used Accuphase owners to access parts & service...whilst protecting Accuphase propriety engineering. In fact, in some countries, Accuphase distributors have been smart enough to "passively" adopt the policy change.

There is no reason why the same should not happen in Australia & should increase sales whilst offering an additional avenue for revenue generation...this is not rocket science.

• Like 3