What's on the Menu

34 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

That's the one I would like !

I also like them just covered in brown sugar and hot-smoked.  Might try a bit of maple syrup with it next time.

That's our go to. But I figured I'd try a couple of different things as there were three pieces. The parmesan crust was OK, but would probably be better on chicken than salmon. And the sous vide thing was really tasty, but probably better with different veggies.

P.S. not really sous vide, just in a bag in some hot water (started at 70C, cooled to about 45C and then back in the oven while the other stuff baked - probably didn't get over 50C again). Really melt in the mouth and worked well with the ginger & chili. This was the first time I'd tried it, so I might tweak it a little.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Supreme lockdown comfort food  washed down with a Kay Brothers basket pressed Mataro 2018. Ottolengi slow cooked Lamb Shouder with Mint and Cummin, Celeriac and Carrots- 7 hours cooking  later an

Pan roasted wild Barramundi on a bed of vegetables in consommé

One of the family favorites,  Pad Kee Mao or Drunken Chicken.  Uses fresh wide rice noodles with vegetables of your choice. Sauce consists of: 1 .5tbs Oyster Sauce,1 tbsp  light Soy sau

Baked Fish with sticky sauce:

Made this for dinner last night - voted a winner! 

Snapper around 1 .2kg whole cleaned 

2 tbs Sesame seeds 

2 Garlic cloves sliced finely

5cm fresh Ginger sliced into small matchstick 

1/2 sliced red Capsicum 

2 long or 3 small red chillies sliced

3/4 cup palm or Brown Sugar

1/3 cup Fish Sauce

2 tbs Tamarind pulp/ sauce

Juice of 1 Lime

1 cup Thai Basil leaves

2 tbs fried Shallots 

Heat oven to 190

Make 3 slices across sides of fish

Season with salt and brush with oil.

Sprinkle with Sesame seeds. 

Roast on greased tray for around 30 mins. (I wrapped in foil so as not dry and also good)

Heat oil in a wok, add Garlic and fry quickly to golden then drain on paper towel.

Add Chilli, Capsicum and Ginger and toss on high heat then add Sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, Tamarind.

Cook while stirring for few mins till like Syrup.

Transfer to a jug.

Add Basil leaves to wok and fry for 1 min.

(Or just add fresh on top)

Place fish on platter and pour on sauce.

Garnish with Garlic cooked, Basil and fried Shallots.

Serve with steamed or fried Rice.

Enjoy!!

20201127_205558.jpg

20201127_205908.jpg

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Luc said:

Did you catch it?

Yes the fishmonger threw it to me!

But I am planning to head up in the hills to stalk some Trout. 😉

Ah, a bought fish.

*pics of the trout when you catch it...

5 minutes ago, Luc said:

Ah, a bought fish.

*pics of the trout when you catch it...

Sure thing , but on the relevant thread! 😃

3 hours ago, evil c said:

Sure thing , but on the relevant thread! 😃

Yeah the 'When I cook my trout and had it for dinner..it was a surprise addition to the menu.'

If you can do a selfie of the catching of said trout then post it in the fishing thread.😉

On 28/11/2020 at 4:41 PM, evil c said:

Yes the fishmonger threw it to me!

But I am planning to head up in the hills to stalk some Trout. 😉

I find that fish tend to be an inconvenience (to me) when I go fishing.

I prefer Zenning out with my feet over the side (boat, wharf, riverbank) than any attempts to catch any aquatic animal.

And the local guys are selling stuff they caught this morning anyway...

image.png.d80c2bd11233ca318d09770acd556372.png

A quick suggestion.  We ran out of bread for toast when camping,  and I really like toast with my fried eggs.  So I whipped up some thick batter (just SR flour and water (or beer)) and battered some slices of spam.   Battered spam and eggs - a new gourmet delight !  :)  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

A quick suggestion.  We ran out of bread for toast when camping,  and I really like toast with my fried eggs.  So I whipped up some thick batter (just SR flour and water (or beer)) and battered some slices of spam.   Battered spam and eggs - a new gourmet delight !  :)  

It's not really that new. It was regularly on the menu when I was a kid, and the old man was out of work for a while.

8 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Oh well I only just thought of it.  :) 

Funny thing is, I hadn't eaten Spam for years. But when a friend of my wife's moved into a retirement home a couple of months ago, she gave the unopened contents of her pantry to the wife. Amongst the stuff was about 8 cans of Spam. The mrs was going to give it away, but I put my foot down and said no.

MMMM breakfast: battered Spam, sausage eggs and Spam, Spam eggs bacon and Spam, Spam eggs and Spam... Spam, Spam Spam and Spam... even the dog was happy.

Fresh Tassie scallops and locally caught school prawns (this afternoons runout tide) 2 hours out of the water. Bottle of pinot grigio and squeeze of lemon and let the scallops sit in the juice with a brush of chilli powder until the citric cooks them. Very sharp knife and double sashimi  thickness for the scallops with a flick of pepper and salt to finish off.

Cheap and fresh(well the schoolies are).

• Like 3

Was so good that I made it again but the schoolies went at smoko today and I shared none of them🤗 so it was the green prawns instead and the scallops.

IMG_20201201_181236605.thumb.jpg.e4bffe564c3b40711381007c93b6865b.jpg

IMG_20201201_181252741.thumb.jpg.44479140771cdb8185a1f8f92973d912.jpg

IMG_20201201_181651919.thumb.jpg.8f03263f2398fcf2b99fc55e5de835ef.jpg

Gone!

IMG_20201201_194538949.thumb.jpg.074281ad7fa97e137a1bb32d6518f08f.jpg

Greens from the garden, sourdough to soak up the olive oil garlic chilli  brew and the stuff in the middle is baby bok choy from the garden done the Kylie Wong way. 

Wine is a Stanton+ Killeen Alvarinho. 

A blow in chucked in a box of Durif from them.

Rather yummy actually. 2020 Alvarinho

Edited by Luc
  • Love 2