Sign in to follow this  
caminperth

Osborne Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Yes that's the ad.

Is this the ad? -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Osborn-Eclipse-Loudspeakers-with-rare-Lead-Lining-option/113885643493?hash=item1a841d02e5:g:UpkAAOSwK-BdejCT&frcectupt=true

If so then this appears to be an ad by Greg Osborn (no 'e') himself.  His email is 'osspeak', the background of the photo sppears to be his home, and recent audio sales by this ebay seller are products he sells.  If that's the case, then you know the speakers will be 100% right, which is a good thing.

To answer all of your questions if they're the right speaker for you, head to his place for a listen.  :thumb:

I have owned a pair of Eclipses for 7 years now and I think, for the price, you'd be hard pressed to better them.  Solid cabinets, clear mid's and highs and bass that digs deep.  

22 minutes ago, same64 said:

I agree with Mat with 1 T, they won’t last long.

Now question is how much should i pay for it:-) .Under $ 2000 looks like a good deal. But auction is unpredictable.

13 minutes ago, same64 said:

Now question is how much should i pay for it:-) .Under $ 2000 looks like a good deal. But auction is unpredictable.

The weight, and so the cost to ship, may put many off.  Maybe you can get them for under $2000 in auction.  Hate for you to miss out if you really want them though.  You'll have to decide :) 

They are his mum’s old speakers. She is 102. I kid you not. It’s her Consonance amp for sale also. She upgraded her whole system. 

The eclipse are reference with the lead and felt lining. 

Great speakers. 

I’m almost considering just hitting the buy it now. 

The foam on the midrange in my Epitome went yesterday so they are off to Atilla to be refoamed. This should give them another 15 years. 

Expect some wear on the older drivers and as @gat474 mentioned you cannot get these drivers anymore so expect repairs when getting on 10+ years. 

The midrange in Osborn speakers using Focal drivers doesn’t have a high pass so they get all the bottom end, must have been running them hard @jakeyb77!

34 minutes ago, gat474 said:

The midrange in Osborn speakers using Focal drivers doesn’t have a high pass so they get all the bottom end, must have been running them hard @jakeyb77!

15 year old foam. Not hard really at all. 

If they aren’t crossed over then that’s a serious design flaw. Why would you run all all the signal into that into a 7” driver when you have 4 x 10” bass drivers? 

@aussievintage had the same issue. 

Maybe they aren’t the speakers for me 😳

Edited by jakeyb77

41 minutes ago, gat474 said:

It isn't a mid-range speaker in the 3 way speaker sense. These are classed as 2.5 way speakers aren't they? 

22 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

@aussievintage had the same issue. 

Maybe they aren’t the speakers for me 😳

Yes. It's just age. Mine did well to live 17 years. foam should be here in a week Will post pictures of repair if I am successful in fixing them.

10 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yes. It's just age. Mine did well to live 17 years. foam should be here in a week Will post pictures of repair if I am successful in fixing them.

Yeah to be fair the foam peeled off like tissue paper. It was well due for change on mine. 

While I wait for my new foam surrounds to be delivered, I didn't want to keep using the old drivers in case they damaged themselves, so I did this.   I removed them to prep for the fix, and put in these cheap Jaycar Response brand drivers (about $35 ea from memory) that I had in another set of tower speakers. They have similar specs, just a bit less efficient than the Focals. They fit in a way that doesn't damage the OSborns, and the screw holes will not be visible when the original drivers are put back.  You can see the alan key screws I put pack around the outside so I wouldn't lose them.

The sound isn't so bad, it's quite acceptable in fact.  Certainly has enabled me to keep listening. 

DSC_0282.jpg.8258f434e7950d1ab48f0563daa902e6.jpg

Bidding has started on the Eclipse. I had to kick it off. Why not. 

Interesting mod there @aussievintage

I have two spare NS-1000 mids that seem to slot right in. Maybe I should try it. 🤔

I get my Tannoys back tomorrow so I’ll probably just use them 

4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

If I screw up the Focals, I could even live with these until I get something better.

I’ve been looking at drivers with the same footprint and better specs. If you can find the 7W2 it’s rated at higher wattage. But also too hard to find. 

Your purchase price helps also compared to mine. 😳😝

2 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Bidding has started on the Eclipse. I had to kick it off. Why not. 

Interesting mod there @aussievintage

I have two spare NS-1000 mids that seem to slot right in. Maybe I should try it. 🤔

I get my Tannoys back tomorrow so I’ll probably just use them 

Real enjoyed the eclipse when I heard them years ago, really sweet and nicely balanced.

But they go lack the authority of their bigger siblings.

10 minutes ago, joz said:

Real enjoyed the eclipse when I heard them years ago, really sweet and nicely balanced.

But they go lack the authority of their bigger siblings.

The  highs are very "sweet" - it's the same word I used.    The subwoofer digs in for some fairly tight bass when playing some acoustic double bass in jazz, and orchestral stuff.    Not sure about authority.  Have to listen to my brother's Epitome towers a bit more :)

Edited by aussievintage

Today I started to prep one of the Focals for re-foaming.  Just thought I'd post a few pics

This is one of the drivers.  You can just make out the cracks in the foam where it is ready to fail. (about 8 oclock)

DSC_0285.jpg.d351a8d88576b64331d4f7433f41941f.jpg

Firstly I scraped the outer edge with a small screw driver.  You can see the thin foam is a gooey mess, partly disintegrating and partly turning to glue.

DSC_0283.jpg.aad3bdd7627bdfca5d5ffac9d0b84a0e.jpg

Here's the driver after carefully removing the rubbery mess from the edge of the cone.  The cone material is called Neoglass by focal. It feels and bends like thin plastic.  Feels more robust than I thought. (good :) )  I need to find out what will remove the gluey remains, maybe alcohol, maybe one of those citrus oil based removers.

DSC_0284.jpg.1febf8d176853b9b3a6078efea51cdd8.jpg

Edited by aussievintage

I’d use isopropyl on the baskets. Not sure about the Polyglass cone though 

31 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I’d use isopropyl on the baskets. Not sure about the Polyglass cone though 

I used De-solve-it then isoprop.       Found the best tool for cleaning the edge of the cone was my fingernail.  I'd spray a bit of cleaner on it, use my fingertip to spread it along the edge, then with the fingers of my other hand supporting the cone edge, I'd scrape the top with my fingernail.

DSC_0286.jpg.31a30b32baad55c6685c5d9bbcb51e3b.jpg

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

I used De-solve-it then isoprop.       Found the best tool for cleaning the edge of the cone was my fingernail.  I'd spray a bit of cleaner on it, use my fingertip to spread it along the edge, then with the fingers of my other hand supporting the cone edge, I'd scrape the top with my fingernail.

DSC_0286.jpg.31a30b32baad55c6685c5d9bbcb51e3b.jpg

Looks good! Keep the updates coming. 👍

On 14/09/2019 at 1:08 PM, aussievintage said:

It isn't a mid-range speaker in the 3 way speaker sense. These are classed as 2.5 way speakers aren't they? 

Semantics.    It's "right" to call it the "midrange" seeing as it handles from 200hz (or wherever) up to the tweeter.

9 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Semantics.    It's "right" to call it the "midrange" seeing as it handles from 200hz (or wherever) up to the tweeter.

But that's not the case according to the post to which I was replying.  They were saying it handled everything from the bottom end up, because the crossover (at 125Hz btw) did not include a high pass filter for it.

I don't know if that's true, but that was why I ventured that it was 2.5 way and the speaker was really the woofer of the 2 way part of the system.