Sign in to follow this  
caminperth

Osborne Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest alebonau

~

Yeap, it seems as if i have a rep now for being biased so maybe im not the person to talk about them anymore as i get a few frowns. :)

[/b]

nah dont hold back ! nothing wrong with telling the world you like somethign or think its great.

Seems you may loose your Robinson Curouso status Dizt :biggrin: if someone else buys into your Osbourne hype :wink:

[/b]

hehe you mean Robinson Crusoe or is that the operatic version hehe

~SNIP~

Plug in the Eclipses. It took me 2 seconds. I had a big grin. For me this was a significant step up. There was so much more bottom end, I liked the top end more also (and the mid range). The dynamics were incredible. Put it this way. I will buy these speakers, if a don't lash out and get the Epitomes.

The Epitomes. Less of a jump in improvement. They were more "musical". The "bad" recording was now quite impressive. The "choir" singing with "Nusrat F A K" seemed to have more members now. For me the bass modules increased the size of the soundstage. My mate thought the improved the overall sound even more.

~SNIP~

Cheers

DaveA

PS Watch out for some Ambience 1800 coming up for sale soon.......

[/b]

I take it these were the standard model and not the reference model?

At around $3400 for the standard I wonder how much the upgrade would be.

Osborn Eclipse

eclipsedd.giftlr.gif

I’m currently contemplating upgrading my speakers to 3ways, and I’m not sure wether to get my current ones unknown brand revamped or just buy something like these. I don’t require anymore bottom end, but would like something that went a bit higher in freq for my SACD’s.

I take it these were the standard model and not the reference model?

At around $3400 for the standard I wonder how much the upgrade would be.

Osborn Eclipse

eclipsedd.giftlr.gif

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my speakers to 3ways, and I'm not sure wether to get my current ones unknown brand revamped or just buy something like these. I don't require anymore bottom end, but would like something that went a bit higher in freq for my SACD's.

[/b]

Spearmint the reference ones with lead lining and TLR tweeter is $5100. Bit of a plug for the speaker list, its listed here -> Floor standing list

I'm currently thinking about them for the future. In a fantasy world I have been thinking of the following.

Droplet CDP

Stello P200 pre

Elektra Theatre 7

Behringer CX2300

Couple of subs

I was thinking use one channel of the Elektra to drive the top set of terminals (mid + tweeter), then use the behringer to crossover the second channel to bottom set of terminals which drive the bass driver (crossover for the bass driver in the eclipse is set at 125Hz and I would set the behringer to say 50Hz) and have the lower bass sent to the stereo subs. Of course this may be all wrong, but thats just what I have been day dreaming about.

Thanks Drizt, fantastic list of speakers BTW. I guess I should have checked it earlier. :)

You should also check out the Aksa Swift pre as well since it has a sub out built in.

At the Melbourne HES show in both 2004 and 2005 (didn't get there this year) I ended up spending more time in the Osborn room than any other. Sounded like some seriously good sound for the $. But I had some reservations about the relatively large footprint of the Epitomes, especially with the bass modules. Now that I'm looking for decent speakers, this brand's got to be on the short-list. maybe the Eclipses warrant a careful listen.

BTW Drizt, I reckon we're all a bit biased towards stuff that we've bought and remain impressed by......not that I'd ever be guilty of that. :wink:

Thanks Drizt, fantastic list of speakers BTW. I guess I should have checked it earlier. :)

You should also check out the Aksa Swift pre as well since it has a sub out built in.

[/b]

Cheers, yeah ill have to check it out when the time comes, still a long wait for the next run of upgrades..

Guest RodN

Yeap, it seems as if i have a rep now for being biased so maybe im not the person to talk about them anymore as i get a few frowns. :)

[/b]

Bah I wouldn't worry, a man has got to have his passions mate!

The accountant let me know on the weekend that the Eclipses are definately outside of the financial budget, so I have to get back to reality and stick with floorstanders around the $2000 budget!

I was looking forward to having a 3 way system, but so much for dreams!!

Does any other aussie manufacturer make a 3 way design?

Andrew - any 3 way 8" speakers on the design pad?

Does it really matter if its a 2, 2 1/2, 3 or 4 way systems I guess if it sounds good, thats the best system. Is that the case, or will some designs always have inherant limitations that will always affect their sound?

Does it really matter if its a 2, 2 1/2, 3 or 4 way systems I guess if it sounds good, thats the best system. Is that the case, or will some designs always have inherant limitations that will always affect their sound? [/b]

Only way to know if it makes a difference to you is to go have a listen for yourself. I love my 2-way speakers and to me they were the best i could buy in that price bracket. What you need to do is find your price bracket, then go audition all the speakers that fall in that price bracket and make a decision.

One way to think about it is... for the money you are looking at will you get a better quality two way speaker or a three way speaker. A 3 way has higher complexity crossovers, more drivers, usually bigger cabinet and hence cost more. All food for thought..

There are plenty of speakers out there that are 3 - way, have a look through this list, and do a google on the ones that fall in your price range. Floorstander List

a little cut and paste from the list above - these are within your price bracket (note the list is not big enough yet, but it is getting there)

$1500 - Krix Lyrix Gold (Aus)

$1598 - VAF DC-7 (Aus)

$1699 - Klipsch RF-25

$1699 - Monitor Audio RS6

$1900 - Equinox Periphelion (Aus)

$1,930 - Osborn F5 (Aus)

$1975 - Epos M15.2

$1995 - Legend Kama 4 (Aus)

$1,999 - B&W DM603S3

$2000 - Krix Symphonix (Aus)

$2000 - Elite Aesthet MKII

$2099 - Klipsch RF-35

$2,195 - Osborn Interlude (Aus)

$2200 - Monitor Audio RS8[/b]

If you can use a soldering iron, then the Vaf DC-X Gen 4's are $2,000 plus delivery. I've not heard'm but I'm sure they offer good bang for buck!

LuckyDog

If you can use a soldering iron, then the Vaf DC-X Gen 4's are $2,000 plus delivery. I've not heard'm but I'm sure they offer good bang for buck![/b]

I have, and I don't like them. When I was at VAF's and listening to them, the salesman saw me pull a look and I told him I was disappointed with the sound. Bass was plentiful, but it was fat and boomy and seemed to be mostly midbass and not true low bass. The bass was so offensive that it clouded some of the lower midrange. The trebles were only just adequate. It is rare that I can find not a single good thing to say about a product (I guess that's why i'm not a hi-fi reviewer!) but I thought that the DC-X were truly awful, and not even worth the very low price.

A few people have disagreed with me, and say that the DC-X sounds better at home than it does in the VAF showroom. Maybe they are right, although I would sort of expect the designer of the speakers to know how to set them up properly in his own showroom.

Anyway, after my disapproving opinion I was guided to listen to the I-66 and I-93's. Now THESE are proper hi-fi speakers! I preferred the sound of the I-66. It was exciting, dynamic, great imaging, great bass. And very good value. The I-93's were more of the same but bigger sound (a bit too much speaker for my listening room, I thought). But unfortunately both of these are above your budget.

You might like to consider a high quality bookshelf speaker like the VAF I-91, Dynaudio, or ProAc Tablette 8.

Thanks Amfibius.

I'd read other forum entries to that effect about the VAFs.

Funny you mention bookshelf speakers - I was originally thinking of adding 2 subs to a pair of Jamo Signature bookshelf speakers I have, but wasnt sure what sound I would end up with. As I dont have a HiFi amp with pre-outs it would have to drive the subs directly then use the sub's crossover to drive the Jamos. In effect I'd be buying 2 nice powered subs and then not using their amps. Being a fan of Electronic music I just need that bass...!

Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience with Greg Osborne's F1 bookshelf speakers? Just general impressions and thoughts.

I'm considering either Krix Equinoxs or Osborn F1s in a 2 channel system and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for either one?

They will be powered by a 35 watt per channel Valve amplifier.

Thanks in advance0291d0_289775e43f534329a1e6129999e9d39b_mv2.gifEquinox_Mk3_Black_Woodgrain.jpg

I can't comment on the Krix because I've never heard them.  I have had the F1's for about 6 years now, used as rears in my living room.  When I was running them in I had them sitting on top of my Eclipses.  At the time we had numerous tradies floating through the newly built house, and a few commented on how good the Eclipses sounded.  You can imagine their response when I told them I was only driving the F1's.  A big clean sound for their size, very transparent and easy to drive.

I can't comment on the Krix because I've never heard them.  I have had the F1's for about 6 years now, used as rears in my living room.  When I was running them in I had them sitting on top of my Eclipses.  At the time we had numerous tradies floating through the newly built house, and a few commented on how good the Eclipses sounded.  You can imagine their response when I told them I was only driving the F1's.  A big clean sound for their size, very transparent and easy to drive.
Thanks for the response I really appreciate it, my Dad is using the Equinox mk2's as rears right now so I can try them out in my system but I'm really interested in the F1's aswell, thanks again.

Krix speakers are not bad, but for the price there better speakers out there.

Usher 520 will be a better buy.

Krix speakers are not bad, but for the price there better speakers out there.
Usher 520 will be a better buy.
Thanks for the suggestion, some people would probably find my reasoning silly but I'm really into Australian made products so I've been looking at Krix and Osborn speakers for a new setup

Given the Aus made preference, have you considered Lenehan ML1?

@Farpun

Good on you to support Aus manfacturers.

I actually have a surround sound system of Osborn speakers:

• Eclipse Reference Towers
  • C3 Centre
  • E2 for rears

Cant go wrong with Osborn. Especially if you buy used.

All the best with your journey.

2 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

ML1 is a very good option,

IMO almost too good for rears.

I considered the ML1's but had trouble finding a price and haven't looked into a quote, do you have a rough idea?
I'm on a budget and will also be buying an amplifier at the same time so am looking for something relatively cheap/entry level

@Farpun
Good on you to support Aus manfacturers.
I actually have a surround sound system of Osborn speakers:
  • Eclipse Reference Towers
  • C3 Centre
  • E2 for rears
Cant go wrong with Osborn. Especially if you buy used.
All the best with your journey.

Thanks for the input

I won't make a recommendation in comparison to the other speakers but I admittedly have become a bit of a fan of the Richter Legend V range of bookshelf speakers.  I have heard the Merlin and Mentor and in regards to your budget they would fit as they are on special at Richter dealers for EOFY sale purposes and are Australian designed and still locally manufactured I believe.

New cabinet design, Brad Serhan designed both of the bookshelf models, extensive crossovers and award winners etc etc.  The quality of voice reproduction is exceptional.

Worth a listen at least I think.

I won't make a recommendation in comparison to the other speakers but I admittedly have become a bit of a fan of the Richter Legend V range of bookshelf speakers.  I have heard the Merlin and Mentor and in regards to your budget they would fit as they are on special at Richter dealers for EOFY sale purposes and are Australian designed and still locally manufactured I believe.

New cabinet design, Brad Serhan designed both of the bookshelf models, extensive crossovers and award winners etc etc.  The quality of voice reproduction is exceptional.

Worth a listen at least I think.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've purchased two of Richter's radios, one for home and a portable one as a present for a friend, it even said G'day when you fired it up.
I think Richter have moved manufacturing to overseas which is a disappointment otherwise they would be on my radar, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.