Osborn Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Can be had for $1400 to $2000 used depending on the model, age etc. Probably are to good for rears as suggested
There are some Spendors in the classifieds right now for $700
Cool thanks for getting back to me

@Farpun 

4 hours ago, Farpun said:

I'm really into Australian made products

Lots of them listed here in this sticky. You'll be surprised at just how many there are. Greg's speakers yes and Krix and of course Phillip's VAF, Legend and others but there are a whole lot more out there.

3 hours ago, Luc said:

@Farpun 

Lots of them listed here in this sticky. You'll be surprised at just how many there are. Greg's speakers yes and Krix and of course Phillip's VAF, Legend and others but there are a whole lot more out there.

Thanks for that I'll have a good look at it, so many great responses I really appreciate them.

• 1 year later...

Best deal?  Well, I couldn't just accept them for free, so I bought him a bottle of 16 yr old single malt.  Nice to get hand me downs from members of the family.  (He just upgraded to a pair of Epitome Reference towers btw.)

These are the heaviest furniture I have EVER had to move.  They weigh 70kg each with the lead sheet lining.    Absolutely blown away by the sound.  I also listened to his new Epitome's and they are even better.  Mr. Osborn makes superb speakers, that's for sure.  I had read some people find them a bit bright, but not here - possible the valve phono and line preamps' influence.

DSC_0250.jpg.319d2a8d4dfa95a7fc36838093fb5686.jpg

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 7

Guest jakeyb77
25 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Best deal?  Well, I just couldn't just accept them for free, so I bought him a bottle of 16 yr old single malt.  Nice to get hand me downs from members of the family.  (He just upgraded to a pair of Epitome Reference towers btw.)

These are the heaviest furniture I have EVER had to move.  They weigh 70kg each with the lead sheet lining.    Absolutely blown away by the sound.  I also listened to his new Epitome's and they are even better.  Mr. Osborn makes superb speakers, that's for sure.  I had read some people find them a bit bright, but not here - possible the valve phono and line preamps' influence.

DSC_0250.jpg.319d2a8d4dfa95a7fc36838093fb5686.jpg

Well done. I hate my family now!

Amazing score. I love these speakers 

5 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Well done. I hate my family now!

Amazing score. I love these speakers 

So do I now, and I only got them yesterday :)     A couple of very minor repairs - a dust cap had come unglued from one bottom driver, and one of the grills is only held on by 2 pins at the moment.  But  they have been well looked after, and well run in.

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

So do I now, and I only got them yesterday :)     A couple of very minor repairs - a dust cap had come unglued from one bottom driver, and one of the grills is only held on by 2 pins at the moment.  But  they have been well looked after, and well run in.

See John Woodhead at Aranmar and he should be able to get the grills sorted for you . He makes the cabinets 

Edited by jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
14 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

OK.  Thanks for the tip. It's just the plastic pins.  I was thinking of a simple piece of velcro on the weak side would work fine.

He has heaps of them. Might as well get them back to original. 

From what I see under the grill these have to reference tweeter in them from Focal. These became unobtainium after a while so Greg swapped to the car version. 

These are a good get. I’d be contacting Greg just to see if there are any upgrades. From time to time he found a tweak or two.

Will do really well with valves in the system. Great get.

9 minutes ago, gat474 said:

From what I see under the grill these have to reference tweeter in them from Focal. These became unobtainium after a while so Greg swapped to the car version. 

These are a good get. I’d be contacting Greg just to see if there are any upgrades. From time to time he found a tweak or two.

Yes, metal tweeter with waveguide (berylllium?).

I wonder what they will sound like driven from my 2A3 SET amp?  Something to try later.

Guest jakeyb77
6 hours ago, gat474 said:

I’m not the hugest fan of the old Focal tweeters, more because I play screaming rock then the actual speakers themselves. So I’d like to compare the new ones he uses. 

One day I’ll buy the Eclipse Reference Towers. 

Looking forward to hearing his room again at the show 

Edited by jakeyb77

55 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I’m not the hugest fan of the old Focal tweeters, more because I play screaming rock then the actual speakers themselves. So I’d like to compare the new ones he uses. 

I think I can understand that.    As I play more stuff on these new speakers,  I am finding how they react to different styles of music.  Great on layback jazz, female vocals, classical.  Also, great on clean uptempo stuff, like Thelma Housten's I've got the music in me.  Haven't tried much rock yet, but yeah, maybe high level distortion "screaming" rock might be a bit harsh.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, same64 said:

Hi all

I  see used Osborne Eclipse on Ebay . Had opportunity listen to his biggest speakers but that was few years back  . Are there any Eclipse owners that can gives some opinion?.

cheers

Is this the ad? -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Osborn-Eclipse-Loudspeakers-with-rare-Lead-Lining-option/113885643493?hash=item1a841d02e5:g:UpkAAOSwK-BdejCT&frcectupt=true

If so then this appears to be an ad by Greg Osborn (no 'e') himself.  His email is 'osspeak', the background of the photo sppears to be his home, and recent audio sales by this ebay seller are products he sells.  If that's the case, then you know the speakers will be 100% right, which is a good thing.

To answer all of your questions if they're the right speaker for you, head to his place for a listen.  :thumb:

I have owned a pair of Eclipses for 7 years now and I think, for the price, you'd be hard pressed to better them.  Solid cabinets, clear mid's and highs and bass that digs deep.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Yes that's the ad.

Is this the ad? -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Osborn-Eclipse-Loudspeakers-with-rare-Lead-Lining-option/113885643493?hash=item1a841d02e5:g:UpkAAOSwK-BdejCT&frcectupt=true

If so then this appears to be an ad by Greg Osborn (no 'e') himself.  His email is 'osspeak', the background of the photo sppears to be his home, and recent audio sales by this ebay seller are products he sells.  If that's the case, then you know the speakers will be 100% right, which is a good thing.

To answer all of your questions if they're the right speaker for you, head to his place for a listen.  :thumb:

I have owned a pair of Eclipses for 7 years now and I think, for the price, you'd be hard pressed to better them.  Solid cabinets, clear mid's and highs and bass that digs deep.