Sign in to follow this  
caminperth

Osborne Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Has anyone here got any experience with these speakers?

I've read quite a lot on them and they get fantastic reviews, though being over on the West Coast in Perth I can't drop by their shop and audition them.

Anyone on here from Perth and running a set?

Initally very impressive but they suffer from a poorly refined top end, especially in the more expensive models which should be much better. Cabinets are beautiful and extremely well made, drivers are absolute top notch, awesome bass......top end sucks :)

After a review of Osbournes top speaker, the reviewer suggested that the tweeter should be wired out of phase {I can't remember the exact reason why},at any rate,osbourne responded that he would hence forth wire all his speakers this way.

That's probably why you think the top end sucks Mondie.

I would of thought if it sounded better on the top model[subjective,and somewhat dubious IMHO] it wouldn't always make the rest of his line up sound better.

Tweaky,

l remember that reveiw, if l wasn't on a slow dial up connection at the moment l would search for it as a little light entertainment.

You have to wonder about the amount of trial and error that went into refining the speakers for a reviewer to come out and recommend such a mod even if it works. Bizzare l reckon.

You'd think that if the tweeter was out of phase, the designer would be on to it pretty damn quickly..................You'd think.................

For the sort of dollars being asked, it should be bang on the money at release.

Originally posted by ajw056

You'd think that if the tweeter was out of phase, the designer would be on to it pretty damn quickly..................You'd think.................

For the sort of dollars being asked, it should be bang on the money at release.

Yes yes and yes, unbelievable for $12k plus.

Tweaky - That's just the Osborn home page?

I'm heading over to Melb early next year so will audition them for myself. Any other recommended Oz speaker manufacturers? I've heard of VAF, but haven't listened to them as I'm in Perth.

EA - Thanks. I actually just found their website today so was going to head over and check them out.

Originally posted by caminperth

Tweaky - That's just the Osborn home page?

I'm heading over to Melb early next year so will audition them for myself. Any other recommended Oz speaker manufacturers? I've heard of VAF, but haven't listened to them as I'm in Perth.

Here's a review l co-wrote a little while back about my experiences with VAF and Equinox;

http://users.bigpond.com/gkaan/i-93vsjupiter.htm

Link to Australian Speaker manufactures.

http://www.htcentral.net/forums/index.php?...?showtopic=1167

If your are a australian speaker manufacture and not on this list please feel free to add your name so we ALL know about you.

Spread the Joy!

Suggest replicating the same sort of sticky at Planet Audio as the HTC one was made up from posts that people had sent in.

I am still in the process of getting new floorstanding speakers, but have narrowed down the 'would likes' to Orpheus Aurora 3 Signature - which I have listened to - and Osborn Interludes (Eclipse if the accountant would stretch the budget!) which I havent listened to.

In know one member rather likes the Interludes (understatement!), are there any other Osborn owners who could add their comments, and do any of you live in Sydney? Is the extra money well spend on the Eclipse over the interlude?

Thanks.

Guest alebonau

~

In know one member rather likes the Interludes (understatement!), ~Thanks.

[/b]

:(

hehe nothing wrong with a bit of unbridled LOVE ! hehe

dont own a pair krisko, but what I heard of the interludes I liked. Dont know anyone else with osborns sorry.

Best thing you can do is have a listen for your self and trust your ears. Greg as far as will even lend a pair for a home demo. which would be well worth taking up on. And think its been posted there is a sydney/nsw outlet ? not sure if they lend as well.

have a listen to both speakers and go with which ever you prefer.

I guess you were refering to me *blushes*.

I had a member here PM me yesterday with his impressions after listening to the Interludes, Eclipse and Epitomes, hopefully that member will post his thoughts in this thread.

To sum up what he told me, he said that the Eclipse to his ears were a big step up from the the Interludes, and the Epitomes were a small step up again (without additional bass units). I think he is interested in the Eclipses or the reference eclipse.

If I had the money at the time I bought mine I definately would have thought long and hard about getting the Eclipse, Ill probably look at getting Reference Eclipse's at a later date.

I guess you were refering to me *blushes*.

I had a member here PM me yesterday with his impressions after listening to the Interludes, Eclipse and Epitomes, hopefully that member will post his thoughts in this thread.

To sum up what he told me, he said that the Eclipse to his ears were a big step up from the the Interludes, and the Epitomes were a small step up again (without additional bass units). I think he is interested in the Eclipses or the reference eclipse.

If I had the money at the time I bought mine I definately would have thought long and hard about getting the Eclipse, Ill probably look at getting Reference Eclipse's at a later date.

[/b]

How did you guess!

As this will be a big purchase to last a long time, thats exactly what I want to hear about the Interlude and Eclipse.

The other unknown speaker is Aslan's "Pro Cinema " - does that some anywhere near the Osborns? Andrew is a lot more local to be able to check them out, at least he is in the same state!

I know at the end of the day I will have to audition the Osborns, its just that getting down to Melbourne aint as easy as a trip to Len Wallis....

I havent heard Andrews Cinema speakers, but he has heard my Interludes when he was down in melb last, so maybe he could comment. *Unfortunately its hard to talk about ones own product without sounding like they are blowing their own horn, it would be good to find an impartial person that has heard both, although Andrew is very trust worthy and honorable.*

It all comes down to personal choice and what blows up your skirt so to speak. I think the Eclipse are the best looking in the range and being a 3-way speaker appeals to me. (also the tweeter is more at ear level with the Eclipse over the Interlude - But as Andrew and I found out it shouldnt be a problem as we did some testing with phone books but thats another story)

David Wurtz in Wagga is a dealer for Osborn, you could contact him to see what he has in stock.

Pure Sound and Vision

9 Matheson Pl Estella 2650

(02) 6933 1242

Mobile 0408 331242

[/b]

That would be me :(

Yes as you said. We listened to the Interlude's, Eclipse's, and then the Epitomes' (with/without bass modules). It's worth noting that I now have a pair of Ambience 1800 and so I'm used to a certain sound.

Anyway. On one recording I wasn't happy with the interludes at all, however they sounded "good" with some of the other CDs. But overall I wasn't "sold". I wanted more :biggrin:

Plug in the Eclipses. It took me 2 seconds. I had a big grin. For me this was a significant step up. There was so much more bottom end, I liked the top end more also (and the mid range). The dynamics were incredible. Put it this way. I will buy these speakers, if a don't lash out and get the Epitomes.

The Epitomes. Less of a jump in improvement. They were more "musical". The "bad" recording was now quite impressive. The "choir" singing with "Nusrat F A K" seemed to have more members now. For me the bass modules increased the size of the soundstage. My mate thought the improved the overall sound even more.

In all I think I would (will) be very happy the Eclipses. It's just a matter whether the step up to the Epitomes is worth the $$. In the real world I don't really have the room for the bass modules now. So I would need to have another listen specifically to the Epitomes (san Bass Modules) and the Eclipses.

FYI The AMP was the Consonance M100 Integrated Valve, CD was the R2.2.

Cheers

DaveA

PS Watch out for some Ambience 1800 coming up for sale soon.......

Danton, thanks for the information.

So the Eclipse will be able to reproduce the bass on Kraftwerk Minimum/Maximum then!

Guest RodN

Danton, thanks for the information.

So the Eclipse will be able to reproduce the bass on Kraftwerk Minimum/Maximum then!

[/b]

hehehe from the start of this thread it sure was (cue stage left DRIZT) hehee

Don't know about that, there's some major sub bass in those tracks...

Hi Krisko, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the Epitomes.............I must say I was impressed with them in Drizt's setup..........look and finish are excellent, imaging and vocalising likewise. From memory Drixt had a Rotel CDP and MF A3.5 amp connected up. All in all a very nice system and great value for money IMHO.

With tracks like Kraftwerk, regardless which compact towers you buy, I would recommend a small subbie to augment the bottom octave or two.

In regards to my pro-cinema's, the original bass driver is no longer available (unless I order 500 at a time from the factory - which is bloody ridiculuous for a small manufacturer). I'm still on the hunt for a replacement, so they are temorarily unavailable. I guess this answers your question doesn't it!

Thanks for the kind words Andrews, just a little ammendment to what Andrew said, I have the Interludes not the Epitomes.

Hi Krisko, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, the Epitomes.............I must say I was impressed with them in Drizt's setup..........look and finish are excellent, imaging and vocalising likewise. From memory Drixt had a Rotel CDP and MF A3.5 amp connected up. All in all a very nice system and great value for money IMHO.

[/b]

oh and theres another version of my nick name :(

Drizt

Drizzt

Drizit

Ditz

Dritz

and now

Drixt

Kriso, Danton, have you guys done any more investigations? You guys have me intrigued now and got my imagination running wild with upgrades... hehe (not going to happen any time in the next 12 months, who hasn't said that before :))

hehehe from the start of this thread it sure was (cue stage left DRIZT) hehee

[/b]

Yeap, it seems as if i have a rep now for being biased so maybe im not the person to talk about them anymore as i get a few frowns. :)

Seems you may loose your Robinson Curouso status Dizt :biggrin: if someone else buys into your Osbourne hype :wink: