6922 tube for phono

PS. 

About 12 months ago, I took a punt and bought a stash of unused '80s vintage Voskhod "rocket logo" 6N23P from a East European seller. They cost about $4 each including shipping as I recall. There are apparently two types out there, one from the Reflektor factory, and these Voskhods with their distinctive rocket logo(see pics).

The sound is the equal of, and in many instances better, than any of the others I have tried, at least in microphonics and noise. I am over chasing NOS valves and will happily use these 6N23Ps from now on. Rumour has it that Electro-Harmonix use these and rebrand them as 6922 with their logo. Sounds right to me, literally, I can't tell them apart.

Just thought I'd throw some cheapies in the mix,

Phil

Yup, those look v much like Russian 6922 - notice how these have 'open' plate structure, not rectangular closed plate boxes like the traditional ECC88/6DJ8. (You can see the grid frame inside.) The Russkies are also fatter diameter bottles.

RM used to sell 6DJ8s - Yugo manuf back those days, before the USSR ones became avail.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Hi Mario, I'd be interested to hear what variant of the 6922 floated your boat.

Philips sq from early 50's and early 60's real nos but hard to get as many nos tubes on ebay are used and sold as nos with minimum recommended reading for a new tube.

Amprex pq white label 

No current production tubes float the boat only sink it in the e88cc/6922 variants..........

• Like 1

Hi Batty - no, the getter is the top-hat element used to produce the silver 'flashing' on the inside of the glass, removing residual gas during tube manuf.

See...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

In this case (twin triode), there are 3 electrodes (times 2) - anode, grid, cathode.

In the pic above, the plates are the flat grey elements, the wire grid is inside, the cathode tube is inside the grid (& the heater element is inside the cath tube).

In the case of the ECC88/6922, the whole assembly is smaller & tighter than most triodes - the 'squeezed' middle part of grey plate is where the whole triode assembly resides...the remainder of the plates are mainly for heat dissipation.

post-131486-0-83011000-1409452912_thumb.

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

Hi Blackangus,

I use a Vacuum State Elecronics RTP3D, and prior to that, an FVP. Both of these units use the 6DJ8/7DJ8 family of valves. The late Allen Wright opined that his designs minimised the impact of valve rolling.

Add heaps off colouration (bleached artificial sound,thin etc) it will minimise impact of tube rolling but what would one expect from allen wright designs besides artificial hifi...................

The hifi world has GREAT respect for the designs of Allen Wright, especially his preamplifier designs. It appesrs you're an exception K12.

What do you know that the rest of us have missed?

Edited by MrRogers

The hifi world has GREAT respect for the designs of Allen Wright, especially his preamplifier designs. It appesrs you're an exception K12.

What do you know that the rest of us have missed?

JLTI  just listen to it if you don't hear anything wrong you missed  it...............

Edited by kajak12