Onkyo Owner's read this!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

NOTE: This Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program is available only to residents of the US and Canada who purchased their Onkyo brand receivers from an Independant Authorized Onkyo Dealer. Customers in other countries in the Americas, please contact your country's Onkyo distributor to return your unit under this program.

and does this effect local onkyo's and what is the response onkyo local distributor I wonder :)

I do hope for onkyo owners the same is offered in this country to.

good they have come forward though and extended warranty to suit :)

Yeah ... will be interesting to see if the same is offered here in AUS ... lets hope so for any that may be affected.

Last year I pulled the trigger on a new Onkyo TX-NR626 ... fully aware of the HDMI board issues that a number of owners across the globe have had.

I took the plunge hoping that my unit would not be one of those that had problems ... so far the it has performed flawlessly with at least a couple of thousand hours on it ...

That's not good ...

Now lets hope you get it fixed quickly and with as little pain as possible under warranty.

Upgraded to a Marantz 8801 ... Wasn't going to wait for Ambertech/Onkyo/Integra... Once it's fixed I'll move it on with the balance of the three year warranty (three years left on the 5 year warranty this October).

• 1 month later...

I think it interesting how Pioneer were one of the first to start using cheap pc fans in their amps so they could avoid building in the masses of aluminium required to sink the heat passively. Others followed followed the fools' path and suffer an extraordinary failure rate from circuitry going through massive heat ranges once they get into the field.  If you have one of these amps (I've do- an Integra which gets beaten by many of its competitors in this respect) you need to give it lots of airflow- and don't stack gear on top of it. They really need something that allows air movement from below too- maybe instead of a solid shelf, consider drilling some holes in the right places to let yoru amp breathe.

The end result will be a fan that won't turn on as often, esp. when volumes are low.

Not sure I trust Marantz, Denon, HK, etc. can avoid all the troubles traditional manufacturers have had adopting new tech, let alone adapting to high powered embedded logic and software driven control.  I suspect Yamaha do the best job implementing modern processing, and that Denon and Marantz would in no way be below Onkyo.  Its a pity that the manufacturers that spent so long building reputations based on build quality and performance are now struggling so much in the light of their lack of innovation and idea stagnation.

How many of us running an HDMI reciever will see a update come through to patch the Heartbleed vulnerability for example? Most are based on Linux and are not designed for the user to maintain them. All have update mechanisms but few manufacturers are maintaining/providing updates. Until the manufacturers release one for each model they've built to date, and you've updated your unit, having it on your local network merely presents an already critical (and increasingly) risk to all the computers we use on that network. Yikes!

Edited by nick_os

• 1 year later...

My Onkyo TX-NR 906 is getting twitchy on the HDMI. How much does a board replacement cost?

By "twitchy" I mean the occasional "mode not supported" or "no signal" messages, and I can't seem to stream DSD native from my Oppo like I used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Raffinator

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2014 at 4:45 PM, :) al said:

and does this effect local onkyo's and what is the response onkyo local distributor I wonder :)

I do hope for onkyo owners the same is offered in this country to.

good they have come forward though and extended warranty to suit :)

Sorry for the thread zombie all.

Happy to report that this is still being honored in Australia. My trusty 818 crapped itself last month, and Ambertech have been brilliant in connecting me with an authorised repairer to confirm that my unit has suffered this particular problem (which I have no doubt about). Pretty decent customer service for a product I bought in 2012 (didn't realise I'd bought it that long ago!).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Juicester said:

Sorry for the thread zombie all.

Happy to report that this is still being honored in Australia. My trusty 818 crapped itself last month, and Ambertech have been brilliant in connecting me with an authorised repairer to confirm that my unit has suffered this particular problem (which I have no doubt about). Pretty decent customer service for a product I bought in 2012 (didn't realise I'd bought it that long ago!).

What happened to your 818?  I have one and Ambertech assures me mine does not fall in the lot of serial numbers of those which have HDMI board issues but I often wonder....

What happened to your 818?  I have one and Ambertech assures me mine does not fall in the lot of serial numbers of those which have HDMI board issues but I often wonder....

Dreaded no sound, no networking issue. What year was yours manufactured? I would've thought it was covered. Who's your contact person at Amber? Locally purchased? Happy to help if I can

On 27/09/2014 at 6:55 PM, nick_os said:

I think it interesting how Pioneer were one of the first to start using cheap pc fans in their amps so they could avoid building in the masses of aluminium required to sink the heat passively. Others followed followed the fools' path and suffer an extraordinary failure rate from circuitry going through massive heat ranges once they get into the field.  If you have one of these amps (I've do- an Integra which gets beaten by many of its competitors in this respect) you need to give it lots of airflow- and don't stack gear on top of it. They really need something that allows air movement from below too- maybe instead of a solid shelf, consider drilling some holes in the right places to let yoru amp breathe.

The end result will be a fan that won't turn on as often, esp. when volumes are low.

Not sure I trust Marantz, Denon, HK, etc. can avoid all the troubles traditional manufacturers have had adopting new tech, let alone adapting to high powered embedded logic and software driven control.  I suspect Yamaha do the best job implementing modern processing, and that Denon and Marantz would in no way be below Onkyo.  Its a pity that the manufacturers that spent so long building reputations based on build quality and performance are now struggling so much in the light of their lack of innovation and idea stagnation.

How many of us running an HDMI reciever will see a update come through to patch the Heartbleed vulnerability for example? Most are based on Linux and are not designed for the user to maintain them. All have update mechanisms but few manufacturers are maintaining/providing updates. Until the manufacturers release one for each model they've built to date, and you've updated your unit, having it on your local network merely presents an already critical (and increasingly) risk to all the computers we use on that network. Yikes!

I run mine in a cupboard that hhad an open back into a storage void underneath a stair case. The room gets warmer than the rest of the house but never hot. I even ran a usb fan that sat on the upper vents and sucked the air out and pushed it into the storage room.

43 minutes ago, Juicester said:

Dreaded no sound, no networking issue. What year was yours manufactured? I would've thought it was covered. Who's your contact person at Amber? Locally purchased? Happy to help if I can

Not sure on the year, is there a way to work that out?  I recall checking the serial number and may have even contacted them but not sure now.  In any case either through the on line check or maybe even via email the answer was there is nothing to worry about.   I sometimes have HDMI drop out but that may be a HDMI cable between the bluray and the Onkyo.  I;ve recently changed cables but haven't had a chance to watch a movie to test it out.

1 hour ago, gat474 said:

Not sure on the year, is there a way to work that out?  I recall checking the serial number and may have even contacted them but not sure now.  In any case either through the on line check or maybe even via email the answer was there is nothing to worry about.   I sometimes have HDMI drop out but that may be a HDMI cable between the bluray and the Onkyo.  I;ve recently changed cables but haven't had a chance to watch a movie to test it out.

mine started with intermittent issues; and then progressed to it being absolutely dead. 

For some reason in the past when I used a hdmi connection via a avr unit there have on some occasions been issues. But when I direct connect to tv as far as I can recall I don't think I had connection issues.  I not had onkyo avr with hdmi, was other brand, but I this is is a problem with many avr units regardless of brand

Edited by Time_Lord

19 minutes ago, Time_Lord said:

For some reason in the past when I used a hdmi connection via a avr unit there have on some occasions been issues. But when I direct connect to tv as far as I can recall I don't think I had connection issues.  I not had onkyo avr with hdmi, was other brand, but I this is is a problem with many avr units regardless of brand

The HDMI handshake is usually the culprit.

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

The HDMI handshake is usually the culprit.

I hate the HDMI CEC protocol. Some brands are worse than others (particularly with TVs), when it works, it's great, but when it doesn't, it's a nightmare!

Now I just use optical from TV and Logitech Harmony, life is good.

2 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

I hate the HDMI CEC protocol. Some brands are worse than others (particularly with TVs), when it works, it's great, but when it doesn't, it's a nightmare!

Now I just use optical from TV and Logitech Harmony, life is good.

Yep, agreed, and especially frustrating for those use use the gear but aren't "into" or understand A/V, such as my wife...

Guest thathifiguy

3 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yep, agreed, and especially frustrating for those use use the gear but aren't "into" or understand A/V, such as my wife...

I remember often my AVR wouldn't trigger on, and in order to get everything in sync again, I would have to perform a full power cycle. 

My setup wasn't nearly as bad as my JB Hi-Fi days trying to get TV's to play nice in store either!

• 1 year later...

I had HDMI connectivity issues with my NR708 in 2014, and had it repaired-happened twice infact.

for some time now I had network dropouts and thought it may have been my network. But last week, it dropped out 2 to 3 times in a quick succession and then started getting some burning smell from the receiver. Saw some sparks coming out so quickly turned off the receiver. I am too scared to turn this on. Has anyone faced similar issue?

Edited by hsd
adding model num