Media Server Software and Remote Control Apps (Media Automation)

Hi all,

I like to start a thread where we can discuss our findings with centralized media and playback to multiple devices around the house. I would like to avoid any discussion about playback from a storage device through the internal media application on a particular device. What I would like to see working is a stable media network around the house with a multitude of attached network devices, a central media server and 1 controller app for all of it.

For Example in my case.

Media Server(s):

JRiver Media Center:

XBMC;

Plex Media Server

Media Player(s):

Oppo BDP-105;

Sony BDP-S5100

Sonos Playbar

Android Tablet

Media Controller(s) (Android):

Gizmo for JRiver

Eos for JRiver

XBMC Media Center

Yatse XBMC Remote

Plex media App

Sonos App

MediaHouse

Bubble UPnP

All the above media servers work in my network and provide the content to any player or controller and this seems to be the most easy part of the Media Automation.

JRiver doesn't always show up as an available server and is not the most stable.

All the above network players work in my network but all have their limitations. The ability to playback a certain file lies within the hardware of the device and is impossible to change yourself.

Sonos Playbar doesn't see any media server except for XBMC. Doesn't always show up in the play to device list

Sony BDP-S5100 crashes with BD rips in MKV format, it doesn't output Dolby True HD over the network, it doesn't play all common formats.

Oppo BDP-105 has problems with subtitles over the network, doesn't always show up in the play to device list

The hardest part and the cherry on the cake is the Media Controller Application.

From the above list Bubble UPnP is the most reliable in finding all available Media Servers and Media Players. But it doesn't have a nice graphical interface. The graphical interface is highly dependent on what Web Interface the server software is providing, and is thus Server dependent.

Plex and Yatse have by far the most elegant and complete user interface of them all. Plex however only work with Plex media players.

Sonos has the best app with integrated third party applications like streaming radio, but only plays to other Sonos devices and only does music.

Gizmo and Eos are not the most stable applications but have a lot of potential.

In other words; Some are good with video material while others are good with music. Some of them have a very nice graphical user interface and or work with every device or server while others don't. Some are more stable than the others. But all in all the best I can get out of it at the moment is 75%.

What do you use around the house and is working or not working for you?

• Like 2

P-Knob

you do a lot of things I don't worry about.

I utilise my OPPO 103-D with USB attached drives (there is a NAS (ReadyNAS Duo), but I dislike the noise, so it doesn't get used much).

I control it via the TV screen, although the analogue connections to other rooms (composite0 don't like the new hdmi-only OPPO display.

I can use the Ipad App to control the usb-connected media which is good (doesn't wotk on the networked NAS, which I don't generally use anyway).

I might be missing out on some stuff, but not sure what - I only stream audio, not video (unless they are discs).

I do have JRiver, but more for database and editing than for playing.

I look forward to other responses, and perhaps learning something about other options.  Hopefully they are simple enough to be wife-friendly.

Benje

Guest myrantz

Media server:
* MythTV backend in a virtual machine (connected to 3 x HDHomeRun). This VM does all my PVR work.
* N54L with Plex (This machine hosts all the music, movies and pictures). Plex also acts as DLNA server
* MPD (for "hi quality" music) in a dedicated machine

Media player/Clients:
* 2 x MythTV Frontend (dedicated HTPCs). For recorded TV playback and everytime I want to see DTS HD MA lit up on my AVR :rolleyes:

* 1 x chromecast (for use with Plex and surprisingly youtubes)

* 1 x NA7004 networked media player (for background music, Internet radio and DAB+/FM)
* mobile/tablets/notebooks/other PCs.

More and more with my video needs I'm drifting towards Plex+Chromecast. It is quick, easy and has a intuitive common bookmarking system that crosses all devices. The only problem I have with chromecast is my wife loves to hijack whatever content I'm playing to play something she wants (no universal queue for different chromecast apps).

When I have time I'm gonna put Plex server into the same VM as MythTV and use it to on the fly transcode all video content (including MythTV recordings). Processor of the N54L is not fast enough for transcoding.

10+ years ago.. Software like MythTV or XBMC are the only solutions..  Nowadays, with hardware like the RaspPi, the Chromecast, cheap HP servers and software like MythTV and Plex (a XBMC port), it's kind of breathtaking to see how far technology has become. Things have changed so much....

The only thing that never changed is my crappy ADSL speed (stuck at around ~ 2 Mbps  :() ... The infrastructure side needs to picks up IMO.. :/ I've always wanted to host different mythbackends in other parts of the world (in HK and Singapore), and have it all linked up in a VPN. Then I can record and watch shows from all 3 countries, via the single MythTV system (kindda like an intranet version of IP TV)... Alas there's already high speed Internet in Singapore and HK, but nothing close in Perth :(... Can't call myself a real couch potato until I turn this dream of mine into reality... :hiccup

Proper server running plex.

Streams and re-encodes for:

Samsung 8000 series TV running plex app.

2x MacBook pros running plex HT

2x iPhones running the plex app

Combined with the 2 MacBook pros also running the server we can send and receive anything from one device to the next.

10/10. Love it

Main source and server for movies is laptop with jriver controlled by gizmo.

Music is stored op different laptop wich is server for music also with jriver and gizmo.

Once the funds allow it, i wil buy a nas.

But until then my router has usb port and allows streaming via dnla.

This works fine with jriver.

Also the chromecast is a handy tool, ideal for mobile phones.. But also very suited for laptop and even compatible with router.

Control is done via android.

• Like 1

I see a lot of people using a computer in their system.

I have tried a HTPC for a while with JRiver and Plex and XBMC, but I don't want to place PC's all around the house. With the new NUC format that might change, but for me that is still one device to much in the chain.

I have been using Daphile Hifi for a while now, which is a light weight program installed on a cheap netbook.

Most server programs can send files, play to, different media devices on the network but the biggest bottle neck is the control app, which of it seems is the spider in the web. With more and more devices being network connected a single control point would be a nice to have. Now we are able to get rid of the remote, it is just getting replaced with a different app for every device.

I am going to buy an Android media player with XBMC for the living room and see how that works out. For some reason the Sony Blu Ray player no longer accept any DNS routing.

Not that I live in such a big house with many rooms, but I just love being a geek.

Hi All,

My Basic setup is :-

4 Servers in the basement running Nas4free : with VMs Circa 50Tb all told (including backups)

I run Plex connect in a VM on my main server linking to an Apple 3 for my daughters room (She likes simple)

Rumpus is a small ITX box running Openelec (XBMC) soon to be a raspberry Pi

Living Room / Cinema - ITX box with a large case holding 6 Drives for local media and other things - Again using Openelec on this box - (Boots in 5 seconds)

I am installing Servio into a jail on Freenas for selectable music around the house via the phones.

UPNP / Itunes / etc is served automatically via Nas4free (although I dont use it)

Nice thing about XBMC on each box is that I can control each and every box from one Ipad through the local LAN

As I have only moved in recently, next steps will be automation of all the lights around the house to be controlled via the IPAD and re-establishing Wake on LAN (this is time consuming as I use a couple of microservers - The main server is fine) MySQL database centralisation so that each XBMC box is current and I can move from room to room and resume TV/MOvies where I left off in the last room

All DVDs / CDs etc are Sat in basement - as they have been since I transferred them all to servers - Must get around to flogging them :-)

Cant recommend enough - Openelec XBMC runnin on NUC / Raspberry Pi for small simplistic boxes

Cheers

R

I just finished setting up a Windows PC running Plex Media Center, JRiver Media Center and XBMC. I have added an Android MBox in the living room with XBMC, Plex and Gizmo installed. I have been able to setup the MySQL database on my Central Media Server PC which is functioning fine between all different XBMC installs.

I will play around with every one of them to see which I like best. Most of it will rely on how wel the remote app will work.

I have to say that JRiver is the easiest to work with as a central Media Server. I still have to test stabillity now I use other JRiver installs. It is just let down a bit by the Android app compared to XBMC apps which have a much nicer interface and are showing more information. I will have to dig into the Gizmo JRiver interface a bit more, I don't think I have discovered it all yet.

I'll give Plex a fair change to. It is a pretty straight forward application and I now have it installed on multiple machines. Plex Media Center and XBMC won't run simultaneously, looks like they use and lock the same recources.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about setting up a central media server for a while but have just not got around to it.

After reading this thread I downloaded the trial version of jriver and the gizmo android app. Very happy as it looks be be exactly what I was after. As an android and sony dap user I will be glad to get away from itunes as its file formats are too restrictive. [emoji1] .

I will be following this thread with interest. Keep it up!

• Like 1

I use Foobar2000 as the server on a laptop.  Storage is a Buffalo NAS with 6TB HDD capacity.  Playback is via the Network Capture feature on my Sony STR-DA5600ES receiver which is connected back to the router via a wired Ethernet solution.

Laptop and NAS are via a wired Ethernet connection via the router.

Playback is controlled by a Android OS tablet running Foobar Controller app which can be purchased from the GooglePlay store for $1.49

The thing I like about this setup is I never have to go hunting around to find a CD, DVD-A or SACD I want to play.  Everything can be controlled and played back from the wireless connected tablet.  As Foobar 2000 supports tagging of WAV files I can easily select the tunes I want to play, create playlists and view the album cover artwork on the tablet.

I will hasten to add the tablet merely controls the selection and playback of the music.  Digital to analogue decoding takes place in the Sony receiver with the data coming from the laptop running Foobar2000 with the files stored on the NAS.  An alternative playback route is via USB from the laptop to a USB to AES/EBU convertor then onto PCM decoding WAV files up to 24 bit / 192kHz on the CEC DX-71 Mk2 external DAC.  L and R audio from the DAC is fed into an Analog Direct input on the Receiver.

Other networkable receivers or devices can be attached to the system either via Ethernet cable up to 100 metres from the router (preferable) or via WiFi for playback.  However it should be realised that Foobar2000 can only playback one tune at a time from the main laptop or desktop acting as the server. If another program is required to be played back from the NAS simultaneously, it must have its own player software and audio hardware.  A 2nd or 3rd laptop connected to the network could do this running any media player software capable of retrieving files from the NAS.

HT_Networked_NAS.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Edited by Monkeyboi
  • Like 1

My Setup..everything lives in a central AV/Data cabinet.

NAS: custom build unRAID server - 15TB + Cache Drive. The NAS also runs Plex Media Server for streaming to tablets with transcoding; all my usenet apps for obtaining content. Used to Slimserver but recently decommissioned all Logitech devices. Takes IP Camera feeds. MythTV Backend.

Media Centre - Minix Neo x8H running Kodo (formerly known as XBMC) - miniature form factor, fanless and the size of a small modem. Low power and always on. Plays HD and 4K content and passes HD audio to receiver. PVR Frontend.

AVR: Yamaha RX-V2073 (doing 3 zones) - 4K and HD audio capable. Currently not using the built in Network Audio function as the media centre handles it, but does play 24/192 via ethernet natively. Also has the excellent Yamaha AV Controller App (the reason I left Denon)

TV - Sharp Aquos LC52D77x - The weak link. Its HDMI-CEC capable but I cant get it to work properly with my AMP. Ill be replacing soon for something that does HDMI CEC better and also has the HDMI ARC.

Also have a couple of HD Homeruns running on the network for IP TV streams to tablet or PC when I'm working in there.

The combination of Yatse (the best KODO/XBMC remote app) and the Yamaha AV Controller App mean all my equipment is hidden and easily operated from my phones or tablets across wifi. No IR repeaters or custom work required. However, it could always be better so Ill be watching this thread closely to see what others are doing. 

I do think the advent of KODO(XMBC), Plex and the remote apps for these have changed the game really. Being able to not only control the software per a traditional remote but also browse media collections on the device in the hand used to be the stuff of custom installs costing tens of thousands of dollars. 

One thing I do see changing in my setup very soon is replacing with a Smart TV and installing Plex and Kodo directly on the TV, meaning no requirement for media centre, and with HDMI ARC and CEC will make the interoperability extremely simple with single cable.

Cheers

Anyone have an answer for me here.

I have an Android TV/Mbox with the Plex app installed and Plex Media Center installed on a Windows PC. On the Android box the Plex app doesn't need to be running to recieve material. It starts and closes with the media I play through the remote app. This doesn't work on my Windows PC version. On the PC, Plex Media Center needs to be running to recieve material.

Mmmm, now I think about it, the same goes for all the other Android apps installed on my tablets. The need to be running to. Have to do a little more research on this.

• 2 months later...

I find myself using the Sonos more and more for radio streams. The complete package is expensive and just "average" SQ but their app is fantastic to use. A beautiful integration of other apps in one central application. It is a bit fuzzy in which media servers it can find.

I find myself using chromecast more and more.

It's so convenient to use from mobile, and with youtube there is plenty of music available.

Just browse videos's and add to playlist, and let swmbo add songs via her phone.

SQ is not the best, but as you have a videoclip to go with it, it's a good balance.

I find it easiest is to store it all on one place and manage it in the same box. So, this is what i settled on:

Storage: Qnap Ts-470 Pro, running Plex server, XBMC and Qmusic (from Qnap with airplay support)

All connected devices (IOS/Adroid/Win_OS/PS3) installed with Plex client.

For DTS and DTS-HD, I simply use WD TV networked to my home wired network. Might look at Pop Corn hours products from cloud media later on. The Qnap allows transcode of 1080 contents on the fly without breaking a sweat. As long as wireless connections are solid (I use AC standard), there are no drop frames. 

In terms of ease of use, I prefer Plex . Unfortunately Chromecast still doesn't have DTS support and AC3 support just been announced recently so it is problematic. Plex is mainly for music atm. 

I find it easiest is to store it all on one place and manage it in the same box. So, this is what i settled on:

Storage: Qnap Ts-470 Pro, running Plex server, XBMC and Qmusic (from Qnap with airplay support)

All connected devices (IOS/Adroid/Win_OS/PS3) installed with Plex client.

For DTS and DTS-HD, I simply use WD TV networked to my home wired network. Might look at Pop Corn hours products from cloud media later on. The Qnap allows transcode of 1080 contents on the fly without breaking a sweat. As long as wireless connections are solid (I use AC standard), there are no drop frames. 

In terms of ease of use, I prefer Plex . Unfortunately Chromecast still doesn't have DTS support and AC3 support just been announced recently so it is problematic. Plex is mainly for music atm.

I wil have to go through my notes, but I believe the Plex plays HD movie formats as well. But that might only be inside the Media Center.

How do you tag your files? I found that Plex is horrible with organizing and tagging music files. XBMC isn't great either. They are both focused on video files and happen to play music files?

I wil have to go through my notes, but I believe the Plex plays HD movie formats as well. But that might only be inside the Media Center.

How do you tag your files? I found that Plex is horrible with organizing and tagging music files. XBMC isn't great either. They are both focused on video files and happen to play music files? 

Yes, my setup do stream or transcode (if needed) HD movies. Don't have any issues with Plex client playing HD content as long as the upstream bandwidth is up to the task. I can watch any HD movies from my Nexus 7 tablet at home, no just limited to media center. 

Just that there is limitation audio tract (if it happened to be encoded in DTS or DTS-XX format), this is not a limitation of Plex rather it is Chromecast.  This is a main issue if I want to use Plex/Chromcast to watch movie on my main TV using my AVR for HDMI switching. Fingers crossed if Google comes to the party and enable support for DTS.

As for music tags, I leave everything on auto. You might have a look here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/57079-id3-tags/

As for music tags, I leave everything on auto. You might have a look here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/57079-id3-tags/

This is not what I meant, as long as your music is tagged, Plex will read it properly, but as a media manager with untagged music it is really bad. I did a test with some test files and when it comes to video it does a good job tagging and identifying the proper titles, but when it comes to music it turned into a big mess. Even with manually tagging music inside media manager it still is crappie.