Power strip with a 12v trigger?

Hi folks,

It's been a while! So I've got an ME14 pre-amp driving an Odyssey Khartago pre-amp and it's a pain to manually turn on the amp everytime. The ME14 pre-amp has a 12v DC out that's activated when it's turned on. Is there a commercially available power strip or some equivalent relay that will provide power to the amp when it detects the 12v trigger? A search on the web didn't yield much results although there was a Monster power strip available a few years ago with U.S. voltage.

Thank you!

Guest myrantz

I'm using a old PS Audio Quintet that has 2x12V triggers (3 zones, settable to instant or delay)... Not sure if the newer Detect has this. But IIRC the re-generators do (P3/P5/P10)..  The old Belkin power centres (End of line) also has a 12V trigger in.

If you want something quick, probably get those master/slave power strips from hardware shops... Plug your pre to the master, and when it's on, all the salves sockets will be turned on (and vice versa).. Something like this. (Just a random google, not a recommendation). The downside of this setup is you can't power up/down your slave components sequentially (like the equipment in the first paragraph).. Secondly, the master equipment must draw a certain amount of current for this to work (details should be in the packaging)..

Also... pre amp to pre amp?  (I'm thinking you mean poweramp?)..

• Like 1

the power board i use has this. It also has the ability to turn of power to the devices from the mains when shutoff.

Its a Belkin PF60. They used to be sold in Harvey Norman but were discontinued not long ago. You might be able to find some on ebay though

There are 2 options that are currently available that I know of.   One is the Monster Cable Rack Mountable HDP1750G w/12v trigger input-

http://www.ehifi.com.au/brands/monster/power-and-surge-protection/monster-greenpower%E2%84%A2-hdp-1750g-powercentre%E2%84%A2.aspx

or Mark over on DTV Forum was doing one late last year for around the $120 mark-

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/141262-eoi-12v-triggered-mains-outlet/#entry1915885

I purchased the former for my Active speakers, but am yet to set it up.

I recently bought a $30 power board from Bunnings that senses when you turn on the component connected to the master socket.  I have it set up so that when I turn on my amp it automatically turns on the DAC, USB converter, etc. 

Edited by seaninbrisbane

• 5 years later...

Topics like this need some qualification as to the actual requirements.

12v as example can be 12v AC   ... or can be 12v DC .... a power board is a totally inappropriate product to think of finding either, as power boards are 240v AC devices.  If you need 12V DC  Jaycar stock a nice plugpack  https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-dc-2-5a-power-supply-7dc-plugs/p/MP3490

which is still not correct for a relay as some current limiting and a snubber diode for the coil are essential. You really need to look at the schematic diagram for your product, to assess it has a diode fitted for its internal relay.

At a minimum you will need a 12v DC regulated supply and a 100 ohm resistor for each trigger supply positive   and the correct cable attachment. 

Tidying this up, use  some casework, and arrange a 2.1mm fitting for the incoming supply, and 100 ohm resistors to each branch you need a trigger to be used with.

Edited by stereo coffee

Just now, stereo coffee said:

Topics like this need some qualification as to the actual requirements.

12v as example can be 12v AC   ... or can be 12v DC .... a power board is a totally inappropriate product to think of finding either, as power boards are 240v AC devices.  If you need 12V DC  Jaycar stock a nice plugpack  https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-dc-2-5a-power-supply-7dc-plugs/p/MP3490

which is still not correct for a relay as some current limiting and a snubber diode for the coil are essential. You really need to look at the schematic diagram for your product, to assess it has a diode fitted for its internal relay.

At a minimum you will need a 12v DC regulated supply and a 100 ohm resistor for each trigger supply positive   and the correct cable attachment. 

Tidying this up, use3 some casework arrange a 2.1mm fitting for the incoming supply, and 100 ohm resistors to each branch you need a trigger to be used with.

12v trigger. It's in the title

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

12v trigger. It's in the title

12v AC  when rectified is 16.97 V DC ......to convert AC to DC     / .707 

the title cannot assume 12v is either AC or DC, unless amended to qualify which it refers to. 

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

maybe you should google 12v trigger

It is informative to explain the required voltage requirements, vague terms have no place in proper electronics expression. on one hand the title has explained 12v ( rather than 10.23 V, but then enters or slips by not qualifying the voltage value as AC or DC) .  The title needs to explain which by stating which. 

Science demands terms be used correctly as it is tied directly to physics.

Perhaps  if we accepted being vague, we rely more on cognitive science and have different interpretations of everything around us,   We could well ask if you accept that cognitive science applies in this case,  what is its definition of voltage ?  Neither AC or DC then slopes towards vagueness, which fails to assist others wanting proper explanation. 

Which leads back to voltage when used as a term has to be expressed correctly. the two common terms are direct current DC , and alternating current AC 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagueness

"

The problem posed by vagueness is to explain its particular kind of indeterminacy. Does vagueness render large portions of ordinary language meaningless? Likely not, since we frequently use vague language to great effect in ordinary discourse. If not, what is vagueness, at the level of predicate logic? How is it to be modeled without contradiction, and without sacrificing too much of classical logic? Is vagueness semantic, metaphysical or epistemic? Vagueness has in its own right reaped the attention of an extensive literature. In addition, vagueness is a topic that touches many other questions in philosophy, linguistics and cognitive science, not to mention ordinary conversation."

2 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

you obviously didn't google it

No, the title needs to inform and not be vague, saying google it, does not assist the title being amended. There may well be equal vagueness applying to one trigger vs another, some may be AC or others DC,

The thread needs to question this vagueness and provide valid information, and not resort to promoting vague terms, exampled by using voltage but not saying if its DC or AC  . 

What I can help with, is that most circuitry associated with relays is DC. 

No, as that is just being vague allowing many different interpretations, ..rather what is needed is correct information.

The title needs amending to say if its DC or AC,  quite simple.   OR  if unknowing of which , removing its reference to 12 V

• Volunteer
9 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

No, the title needs to inform and not be vague, saying google it, does not assist the title being amended. There may well be equal vagueness applying to one trigger vs another, some may be AC or others DC,

I quite agree.

But you've only scratched the surface at how vague the title is. 

Let me assist:

"Power Strip" needs to be defined: I mean is it their home strip or their clash strip

image.png.71bc0bb88f89949ef42f8323dd8b8f30.pngimage.png.873c628d6fc4545284ede10fb930a8be.png

Also the word power doesn't specify what sort of power. Is it electrical, mechanical or perhaps political

And we are making the big assumption that the "12" in 12V is based on the decimal system. If it's actually something like octal base then we could get into all sorts of trouble.

• Like 2