The OPA2134 'sound'.

catman

Yep. Show me that you can actually hear the difference between two modern types in the same application without knowledge of which you are listening to.

Post #19. opamp shootout was performed blind. Just download wav files of mysterious opamps  labeled after fruit. Certainly can hear differences. I used a decent pair of cans for this.

• Like 1

Post #19. opamp shootout was performed blind. Just download wav files of mysterious opamps  labeled after fruit. Certainly can hear differences. I used a decent pair of cans for this.

It was a very poor test to determine differences especially as the question was asked to pick a preference: this doesn't mean anyone actually heard a difference (and look at all the comments saying how hard it was) but simply believed they did, which is not the same thing. There was poor level matching, channel flips and some of the opamps were overloaded. There were no controls and easily available software to allow people to cheat by visually examining the files. It was of no more benefit than reading 6loons to determine the sound of something. If someone had done an ABX and reliably picked say the 5532 vs the 4562 when there was no possibility of cheating, I might believe you. And when I see it done, I will, but I haven't yet in some decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHx6BX3HZJc

• Like 1

AFAIK the transconductance op amps AD844/OPA861 used as dac outputs are free of neg feedback. George should know for sure. They sure dont have that closed in sound I hear with every other opamp i've heard.

Was there much work involved in changing all the op-amps in the DEQX to these.

Was there much work involved in changing all the op-amps in the DEQX to these.

???? I dont think they would work in DEQX and I respect the DEQX engineering too much to "fiddle" with it. I used transconductance op-amps behind 1541 and 9018 dac chips. 

• 3 years later...

Reviving an old thread : I've just changed the Opamp on my asus essence stx. This time for the not so expensive OPA2134   ..... I've had many years to listen to the standard JRC 2114 and I find the  opa2134 to be quite a great change. More precise, more punch, wider sound stage...pretty much what I was expecting to get.  So for those of you who don't want to spend too much, try those 2134 if you have some very good headphones.  I've 5 headphones and IEMs to compare the new sound with and it's quite obvious.   I only deal with the opamp 8 PDIP anyway, I just don't want to solder. 

Cheers from Québec , Boys!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rej Ma said:

Reviving an old thread : I've just changed the Opamp on my asus essence stx. This time for the not so expensive OPA2134   ..... I've had many years to listen to the standard JRC 2114 and I find the  opa2134 to be quite a great change. More precise, more punch, wider sound stage...pretty much what I was expecting to get.  So for those of you who don't want to spend too much, try those 2134 if you have some very good headphones.  I've 5 headphones and IEMs to compare the new sound with and it's quite obvious.   I only deal with the opamp 8 PDIP anyway, I just don't want to solder. 

Cheers from Québec , Boys!

Going SOIC and converting them isn’t that hard.  You are leaving yourself short of other opamps If SOIC devices aren’t sampled.  

If you are sticking to PIn8 then you should also check out the LME devices.  

Edited by Addicted to music

For an $8 chip from Jaycar they are hard to beat. A good fall back chip. I have used more expensive chips but find in the end there is little improvement. I have found some of the more expensive easier to destroy where the 2134 is far more tolerant. 

8 hours ago, mwhouston said:

For an $8 chip from Jaycar they are hard to beat. A good fall back chip. I have used more expensive chips but find in the end there is little improvement. I have found some of the more expensive easier to destroy where the 2134 is far more tolerant. 

All OPA series are compensated.

Back when i was building headphone amps and op amp rolling, I remember that the OPA2134 was nice and slightly warm and bass heavy. Going to a LM4562 was more sterile and a little more detailed, the LM6172 even more so. 

If you use them directly to power headphones in a CMOY like setup, then current driving capacity is more important

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2014 at 10:43 PM, A9X said:

It was a very poor test to determine differences especially as the question was asked to pick a preference: this doesn't mean anyone actually heard a difference (and look at all the comments saying how hard it was) but simply believed they did, which is not the same thing. There was poor level matching, channel flips and some of the opamps were overloaded. There were no controls and easily available software to allow people to cheat by visually examining the files. It was of no more benefit than reading 6loons to determine the sound of something. If someone had done an ABX and reliably picked say the 5532 vs the 4562 when there was no possibility of cheating, I might believe you. And when I see it done, I will, but I haven't yet in some decades.

This subject is so controversial . My 2 cents on this one is if I use a good pair of IME= (earphone) like the RHA CL750 or any other ones with the Knowles Balanced Armature, you will hear the difference if you listen to some electronic music, in Flac or aiff ( 24 bits) , The music is more direct than with some normal headphones.  At the same time, we have to admit that many opamp will sound the same. Only once in a while we can really hear a real difference, if we know the song very well.