AVR/ pre amp

I'm looking for a new AVR, however I do not require internal amplification.

I have power amps left over from my stereo system that will provide the oomph needed for my front end, surrounds are not required.

Looking for something that sounds decent, it doesn't have to be flashy as it will be hidden away in a cabinet.

Looking to spend $1500ish.

It will be used to decode from my media server and ps4 and as well as my TV.

At that price I would probably still get a receiver. Just make sure it has pre outs for each channel. AV pre amps loose value real fast as they eventually don't have whatever the latest tech is eg. HDMI or ATMOS etc. The receiver you can always pass off to another room or the kids etc when you want to upgrade.

Having said that if you don't need the bleeding edge tech you can for the same reason pick up an older AVPre at a very good price. I think there was a nice bel canto in the classifieds somewhere.

If your room is decently treated and you don't think you will need RoomEQ, and you don't need a lot of connectivity, I'd recommend an Oppo BDP105D.

2 HDMI inputs

7.1 analog outputs

Sabre32 DACs for all channels

volume control

USB DAC for a computer

USB host ports for HDD for music storage with Oppo app to control

for $1500, I'd go something like the denon x4000, grabit (klappav) have it  here for $1399 delivered 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Denon-AVR-X4000-7-2-Ch-3-Zone-HD-AV-Receiver-Black-/291150447571?pt=AU_Electronics_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item43c9eb43d3&_uhb=1

denon avrs have always been very decent as processors. and easy to pass on if want to upgrade in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and sorry for the shortish response earlier, but I was on my phone.

I have been offered a Yamaha 1030 for what seems so be a very decent price, is it worth looking at or no good?

no idea on the specific model olie, I know a few whom use yams as just processors. I understand the specific model has been superseded which should mean a good price to be had on run out and grab the savings and run ! ... but should also give a chance to see what the new model is like.