Sign in to follow this  
audacity

Anyone Else Here Miss The Aussie Band JET?

Three albums starting with 2003's Get Born featuring the international phenom that was Are You Gonna Be My Girl (of the Apple iPod ad fame) as well as the hits Rollover DJ, Cold Hard ***** and Look What You've Done. They then followed this up in 2006 with the album Shine On which took their music to the next level in that (IMO) it was a fully realised album full of mature well crafted tracks. It featured the rip snorter Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is plus a few more classics like the title track and Kings Horses. Then in 2009 they released Shaka Rock which included the lukewarm first single She's A Genius as well as a bunch of other rather uninspired (once again, my opinion), raw and half baked tracks. What I remember most is that the lyrics seemed especially forced and the songs also seemed awkward... especially compared to the previous two albums. Then the next thing I hear they have had "internal" issues and broken up.

Live they were incredible I saw them at the Pallace in St Kilda when I was living in Melbourne and they tore the roof off. I was also in Europe when they were touring for Shine On. I remember seeing their tour posters stuck up on walls in Berlin and Rome and going to the music stores and seeing them featured with standees and the like. Seems they were popular throughout most of Europe.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to this great Aussie band?

I heard the brothers did not see eye to eye but surely, if we have learnt anything from Mick and Keith there will be up's and downs in every bands history.

Bands work so hard for that special sound, song and for recognition... seems somewhat silly to piss it all away over a few disagreements...

Anyway, anyone else miss this band?

post-143858-0-28431700-1407159687_thumb.

Guest yamaha_man

Nope

Damn strait! Im sorry they existed, absolute swill!

Guest Muon

Nup, I forgot all about them till this....

I was never a big fan until I saw them live as a support act for another band which improved my opinion of them. They certainly put on a good show and actually sounded better live than anything recorded that i had heard from them. I dunno about other people but in my experience that is not usually the case. As a result of that performance i picked up a couple of their early albums from throwout tables however they aren't on a high rotation through my system

I loved Get Born when it came out but the intentional low-fi sound and overly catchy nature of their songs grated on me before too long. Haven't felt the need to click on the album artwork even as background music for ages.

Haha it seems I am in the minority with the other 6 million people that bought their records...

Didn't know they were so disliked... or maybe it's the genre.

I saw them supporting Powderfinger on the Sunsets Tour. They played a very well received set, and the crowd loved them. I thought they were good players, and good entertainers.

Their core repertoire reflected their parents taste in music, but their capabilities were possibly higher.

The second album showed a desire to expand their sound, and held a few top notch tracks, but was less successful commercially. They reverted to the template, but somehow the energy was gone.

I cannot say I miss them, but would be very open to listening to what various members come up with yet.

ZM.

Edited by Zen Mister

Haha it seems I am in the minority with the other 6 million people that bought their records...

Didn't know they were so disliked... or maybe it's the genre.

Volume of sales isn't always a good argument though, I mean, the Spice Girls sold 14 times more albums than Jet.  They must be 14 times better?

This, IMHO, is the best of Nic Cester -

Guest yamaha_man

who is Jet?

Mrs Jet's girl Joan ;)

No

But I miss hearing The Casanovas, described as being "like Jet on viagara" !

Edited by surfpurple

I think the reason why no one here has responded that they miss Jet is that some perceive them a bit inauthentic. To me I felt like they were cashing in on the late 90's rock revival

When I saw the Stones in 2003, Jet were the support band. But I didn't bother to watch them!

There's nothing like walking into a massive stadium and watch the Stones walk on stage and then hearing that first riff blow you away!

Watching a support band beforehand dulls the senses to some extent!

They had their 15 minutes, next!

I need to look in to The Casanovas... are they still around?

I think they are still around, although there's never much said about them generally. It looked like they were recording late last year, so hopefully there's another album out. I only know of one EP and two full albums (in over ten years)!

The EP is their best IMO!

Wow I had no idea there was so much hate, vitriol and dislike for this band.

Oh well to each their own.

Incidentally another interesting Pitchfork review...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14880-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

I need to look in to The Casanovas... are they still around?

I don't really see much hate or vitriol, mostly ambivalence and disinterest. 

FWIW, this is how to rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ePr7IvSrs

Edited by caddisgeek

Volume of sales isn't always a good argument though, I mean, the Spice Girls sold 14 times more albums than Jet.  They must be 14 times better?

This, IMHO, is the best of Nic Cester -

Are McDonalds cheeseburgers any better than a steak from Neil Perry's restaurant?

I know what I would rather have after drinks at the RSL.

To each their own and more often than not sales is an indication of a product (or music) being accessible to a wider audience.

Just because I don't like Spice Girls doesn't mean that it didn't mean the world to all of those tweens back in the 90's.

Funny thing is that is Spice Girls reunited and toured they would probably outsell most of the bands/artists we really like.

Edited by audacity