Three albums starting with 2003's Get Born featuring the international phenom that was Are You Gonna Be My Girl (of the Apple iPod ad fame) as well as the hits Rollover DJ, Cold Hard ***** and Look What You've Done. They then followed this up in 2006 with the album Shine On which took their music to the next level in that (IMO) it was a fully realised album full of mature well crafted tracks. It featured the rip snorter Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is plus a few more classics like the title track and Kings Horses. Then in 2009 they released Shaka Rock which included the lukewarm first single She's A Genius as well as a bunch of other rather uninspired (once again, my opinion), raw and half baked tracks. What I remember most is that the lyrics seemed especially forced and the songs also seemed awkward... especially compared to the previous two albums. Then the next thing I hear they have had "internal" issues and broken up.

Live they were incredible I saw them at the Pallace in St Kilda when I was living in Melbourne and they tore the roof off. I was also in Europe when they were touring for Shine On. I remember seeing their tour posters stuck up on walls in Berlin and Rome and going to the music stores and seeing them featured with standees and the like. Seems they were popular throughout most of Europe.

Does anyone have any idea what happened to this great Aussie band?

I heard the brothers did not see eye to eye but surely, if we have learnt anything from Mick and Keith there will be up's and downs in every bands history.

Bands work so hard for that special sound, song and for recognition... seems somewhat silly to piss it all away over a few disagreements...

Anyway, anyone else miss this band?

post-143858-0-28431700-1407159687_thumb.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope

Cassanovas! Now there's a rock band

I don't really see much hate or vitriol, mostly ambivalence and disinterest.    FWIW, this is how to rock   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ePr7IvSrs

I was never a big fan until I saw them live as a support act for another band which improved my opinion of them. They certainly put on a good show and actually sounded better live than anything recorded that i had heard from them. I dunno about other people but in my experience that is not usually the case. As a result of that performance i picked up a couple of their early albums from throwout tables however they aren't on a high rotation through my system

I loved Get Born when it came out but the intentional low-fi sound and overly catchy nature of their songs grated on me before too long. Haven't felt the need to click on the album artwork even as background music for ages.

I saw them supporting Powderfinger on the Sunsets Tour. They played a very well received set, and the crowd loved them. I thought they were good players, and good entertainers.

Their core repertoire reflected their parents taste in music, but their capabilities were possibly higher.

The second album showed a desire to expand their sound, and held a few top notch tracks, but was less successful commercially. They reverted to the template, but somehow the energy was gone.

I cannot say I miss them, but would be very open to listening to what various members come up with yet.

ZM.

Edited by Zen Mister

Haha it seems I am in the minority with the other 6 million people that bought their records...

Didn't know they were so disliked... or maybe it's the genre.

Volume of sales isn't always a good argument though, I mean, the Spice Girls sold 14 times more albums than Jet.  They must be 14 times better?

This, IMHO, is the best of Nic Cester -

• Like 1

I think the reason why no one here has responded that they miss Jet is that some perceive them a bit inauthentic. To me I felt like they were cashing in on the late 90's rock revival

When I saw the Stones in 2003, Jet were the support band. But I didn't bother to watch them!

There's nothing like walking into a massive stadium and watch the Stones walk on stage and then hearing that first riff blow you away!

Watching a support band beforehand dulls the senses to some extent!

• Like 1

I need to look in to The Casanovas... are they still around?

I think they are still around, although there's never much said about them generally. It looked like they were recording late last year, so hopefully there's another album out. I only know of one EP and two full albums (in over ten years)!

The EP is their best IMO!

Wow I had no idea there was so much hate, vitriol and dislike for this band.

Oh well to each their own.

Incidentally another interesting Pitchfork review...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14880-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

I need to look in to The Casanovas... are they still around?

I don't really see much hate or vitriol, mostly ambivalence and disinterest. 

FWIW, this is how to rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ePr7IvSrs

Edited by caddisgeek
  • Like 2

Volume of sales isn't always a good argument though, I mean, the Spice Girls sold 14 times more albums than Jet.  They must be 14 times better?

This, IMHO, is the best of Nic Cester -

Are McDonalds cheeseburgers any better than a steak from Neil Perry's restaurant?

I know what I would rather have after drinks at the RSL.

To each their own and more often than not sales is an indication of a product (or music) being accessible to a wider audience.

Just because I don't like Spice Girls doesn't mean that it didn't mean the world to all of those tweens back in the 90's.

Funny thing is that is Spice Girls reunited and toured they would probably outsell most of the bands/artists we really like.

Edited by audacity

To each their own and more often than not sales is an indication of a product (or music) being accessible to a wider audience.

Just because I don't like Spice Girls doesn't mean that it didn't mean the world to all of those tweens back in the 90's.

Funny thing is that is Spice Girls reunited and toured they would probably outsell most of the bands/artists we really like.

But let's keep it within the context of your original post where you said "I am in the minority with the other 6 million people that bought their records..." in an attempt to say they're not all that bad - as others posters were saying they were crap. 

I never referred to sales figures being relative to accessibility within the community, nor did I reference if music means more or less to those who buy it.

I was simply saying that using sales figures to argue whether a band is good or bad isn't the best way to go about it.  In this modern era sales often have nothing to do with talent/skill or ability.  Spice Girls being a classic example.  There's plenty of number #1 singles and albums that are utter garbage - and not just because I may or may not be into the genre, but because so much "music" is just manufactured sound aimed at target audiences. 

Brittany Spears is another example, she has made millions and millions of $ and sold countless albums, but is she any good as an artist?  You decide -

@@Zen Mister if damning by feintnpraisevwere an art form you'd be rich

Never heard of them but as 1 geek says I never had a youth

The other one -he ran away from home -moved to Kirkstall east

I sorta look at JET as a bit like Wolfmother. Very talented obviously but it's sorta, haven't I heard you guys somewhere before??

Also both really worth seeing live.

No hate. :D

If I recall correctly, Wolfmother were started by three art students who decided to form a rock band, because that was 'the thing' at the time, went away and learned how to play their instruments and hey presto

Wolfmother

Wolfmother were (are) a very good band. They had that real classic 70's feel, (which is easier said than done)!

They were quite different to most of the 'Jet like' bands around!

I was the very first person in my town to get their debut CD when it was delivered to my local music shop! :)

Edited by surfpurple

But let's keep it within the context of your original post where you said "I am in the minority with the other 6 million people that bought their records..." in an attempt to say they're not all that bad - as others posters were saying they were crap. 

I never referred to sales figures being relative to accessibility within the community, nor did I reference if music means more or less to those who buy it.

I was simply saying that using sales figures to argue whether a band is good or bad isn't the best way to go about it.  In this modern era sales often have nothing to do with talent/skill or ability.  Spice Girls being a classic example.  There's plenty of number #1 singles and albums that are utter garbage - and not just because I may or may not be into the genre, but because so much "music" is just manufactured sound aimed at target audiences. 

Brittany Spears is another example, she has made millions and millions of $ and sold countless albums, but is she any good as an artist?  You decide -

You seem to have a far too intimate knowledge of Spice Girls and Britney Spears (thanks for the you tube videos).

Me thinks you protest a little too loudly.

post-143858-0-01534700-1407653889_thumb.

Wolfmother were (are) a very good band. They had that real classic 70's feel, (which is easier said than done)!

They were quite different to most of the 'Jet like' bands around!

I was the very first person in my town to get their debut CD when it was delivered to my local music shop! :)

Liked them too.

Now this band really was disliked by bearded hipsters.

I like Wolfmother, as I said, I paid bucks to go and see them, was a great gig.

You better not chat to Mike Patton @ , hahaa!!

My point was if a band cracks it too good with a 'sound', it will come across as unimaginative, record company driven etc etc. Then again what's new under the sun?

If ya like it, ya like it!

I like Wolfmother, as I said, I paid bucks to go and see them, was a great gig.

You better not chat to Mike Patton @ , hahaa!!

My point was if a band cracks it too good with a 'sound', it will come across as unimaginative, record company driven etc etc. Then again what's new under the sun?

If ya like it, ya like it!

Tall poppy syndrome.

He's producing music that's "60's Italian music with an orchestra" yet Wolfsmother fans are idiots?

What year are we in? Um... definitely not the 60's.

Yup I guess whoever doesn't like music he's making or music he likes are all idiots.

Arrogant @$$!

Edited by audacity

I saw Wolfmother support AC-DC a few years back!

Didn't really pay much attention because like I said in an earlier post, it 'desensitises' you before the 'main' event!

Plus the sound was shite at the outdoor stadium anyway!

Anyway, anyone else miss this band?

They were a local (Warrnambool ) band ... Individual members occassionally bob up at local jam sessions and festivals around here, but never together .... Apparently I taught one if them in his B.Com ... No idea which one though.

Goanna is another local one from decades ago ... Same thing ... See individual members occasionally but never together.

Edited by Chopsus