Country music or what young people know as Alternative Country or Alt country

Guest Misterioso
2 hours ago, soundfan said:

A great live album

Inspired me to spin some more live Emmylou: Last Date (1982) and At the Ryman (1992). 

1492083816709667468594.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was actually famous in my last year of high school after I recited the entire song of Alice's Rstaurant ( including differing voices and accents when required ) on the way home from a weekend school

Just revisiting this one, Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm. I picked this one up a few years ago at a music sale, think I might have posted something about it before, but can't quite remember when that was.

Can't go wrong with these two for a start                Cheers,   Keith    

On 13/04/2017 at 9:49 PM, Misterioso said:

Inspired me to spin some more live Emmylou: Last Date (1982) and At the Ryman (1992). 

1492083816709667468594.jpg

Have you heard Spyboy

i think it is also a DVD 

I saw this concert in Brisbane in the late 90's I think

still one of the best country music shows I have ever seen

touring in support of Wrecking Ball with Buddy Miller on guitar and Blady Blade on drums

i think he played with the Neville Brothers and Buddy Miller is a great singer in his own right and did great backing vocals and duet on Love Hurts

my favourite version of Emmylou since the first 2 records in the 70's

IMG_0189.JPG

Guest Misterioso
15 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Have you heard Spyboy

Not the record you mentioned, only the Live in Germany with Spyboy. Never buy this one, the sound quality is really bad. I saw Emmylou on her tour with Mark Knopfler, not one of her strongest, I am afraid. 

Edited by Misterioso

When I went to the concert I didn't really think she could pull off the sound of Wrecking Ball which would not have worried me so I was more than amazed when they did 

this record sounds great

did she tour here with Mark Knopfler?

cant believe I wouldn't have gone

not a fan of his but they do a duet on a Hank Williams song with river in the title which is as good as it gets for male/female voices

cant quite think of the name of the song

15 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

I am not sure, I saw them in Rotterdam.

That's a relief

i would not knowingly

miss a chance to see Emmylou

Back where it all started for me and country music

Gram Parsons with Emmylou on backing vocals in about 1974 

i bought the next one and backwards in time to the Flying Burritos and The Byrds Sweetheart of The Radio and a lifelong love of country music although with a few detours around rock n roll bands in the 70's and the Go Betweens/ Triffids in the 80's

not to mention John Prine one of America's great songwriters also in the early 70's

obsessed with Johnny Cash Steve Earle Hank Williams in the 80's and 90's and the bottomless well of truly great Americans in the new century

just can't understand when people talk about growing out of music that they liked in their youth I sort of grow into it 

drinking beer and sad songs to weep into it 

IMG_0190.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Americana Alt Country its all just country music to me

First bought a record by Black Ranchette in the 80's and then discovered Giant Sand in the 90's from memory without realising that it was all Howie Gelb

these things stick with you i guess 

bit of a review from cd universe

What turned out to be the final Blacky Ranchette album was a fine way for Gelb's alter ego to bow out -- one can't but wonder how celebrated the album would have been by the No Depression crowd had it surfaced in 1995 rather than 1990. Unlike many of that crowd, though, Gelb actually has a sense of humor -- the album title alone shows that much -- and Sage Advice contains both serious and merry reflections on life. One of the best all-around lyrics, from the rollicking "Outside an Angel's Reach": "He used to be a devil with three sixes on his mind/six-pack, six-gun, six strings were his Saturday night." Gelb's Gram Parsons fixation understandably comes out here -- Lucinda Williams' duet with him on "Burning Desire" almost inevitably recalls Emmy Lou Harris' work with Parsons as a result -- but it's not a cloning, more an appreciation and extension of a style. Everything from classic steel guitar runs to gently weepy piano plays a part on the album, and it's definitely cosmic American music of its own stripe. A rotating collection of side players, including on-again-off-again Giant Sand guitarist Rainer Ptacek, make up the band this time around. Rather than being straight country per se, the collective can whip up some songs easily matching the amplification level of Giant Sand, notably a hard rocking version of Waylon Jennings' great "Trouble Man" that sounds like a potential role model for Ministry's attempt at Texas industrial on "Jesus Built My Hot Rod." The immediately following "Dreamland, New Mexico," credited as sung by Old Man Howe, has a line which sums up Sage Advice perfectly: "They're playing new fashion Western with that old fashion hardcore/good and loud, and none of that MOR." All this and a half-gentle, half-thrashed concluding cover of "You Are My Sunshine" as well. ~ Ned Raggett

Personnel: Howe Ling (vocals, guitar); Patsy Jean Indiosa, Hank (vocals, piano); Lupe Paycheck, Lucinda Williams (vocals); Robert Soto, Adam Sultan (guitar); Rainer Ptacek (slide guitar, dobro); Rainer (slide guitar); Duane Jarvis, Ted Cho (mandolin); Bridget Keating (violin, fiddle); Susan Voelz (violin); Frank Orrall, Tom Larkins (drums).

4265319.jpg

This could be one of the best country music records ever made

Certainly one of the most beautiful 

very low key instrumentation great singing

probably cemented Willies reputation both critically and popularity wise

IMG_0209.JPG

Never liked Country Music as  kid or teen or even in my 20's or 30's but now that I have got a semi decent system and I took a chance on this album 

MARTY STUART AND HIS FABULOUS SUPERLATIVES Way Out West because mainly was in HiRes, it sounded superb and just great songs.

I know it's a hard task with such an old genre and so many release but what would be a dozen or so essentials to have in collection. I will check out the Willie Nelson one above.

Edited by powerav
  • Like 1

Not sure about your last post either but I'll give a like anyways. As for me I was wondering why it took me 14 pages into the thread before I became aware of it.

be careful with the term country music because what it describes since the late 70's is the worst music ever made

stick with what is called Americana or alt country or roots this is where the inheriters of real country music are now

by real i mean the music of Hank Williams The Carter Family Patsy Cline Johnny Cash Merle Haggard George Jones etc made by young players

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, powerav said:

Never liked Country Music as  kid or teen or even in my 20's or 30's but now that I have got a semi decent system and I took a chance on this album 

MARTY STUART AND HIS FABULOUS SUPERLATIVES Way Out West because mainly was in HiRes, it sounded superb and just great songs.

I know it's a hard task with such an old genre and so many release but what would be a dozen or so essentials to have in collection. I will check out the Willie Nelson one above.

here are some of the ones i play all the time 

Dave Rawlings It would be hard to find a better guitar player in contemporary music than this guy great singer and is the husband of Gillian Welch one of the 7 wonders of the Americana world

If you like Gillian Welch you would like just about any of the old time country music

The Deslondes only record at the moment

great singing and playing some of whom played in Hurray For The Riff Raff

dave.jpg

desl.jpg

Hurray For The Riff Raff Great singer songwriter originally from New York and now back there after making records in New Orleans

Kimmie Rhodes wonderful singing sometimes with Waylon Jennings Townes Van Zandt and Willie Nelson

Unheard of outside America

hurry.jpg

kimmie.jpg

Guy Clark one of the best song writers ever

This is a box set of 4 records for not much money and the other disc is a 2 for 1 of his first 2 records

guy.jpg

guy 2.jpg

Emmylou Harris i think she is one of the best ever singers and has kept the traditional county music flag flying over a period of 45 years 

Box set of the first  5 records for not much money and Wrecking Ball is one of thest  country music records of the last 20 years5

emmy.jpg

emmy 2.jpg

Lucinda Williams one of America's great writers with a great voice can sing pure broken hearted songs or electrified rock n roll

no disguising the emotions either way

with Emmylou and Gillian Welch one of the very best of American music

this is a great record and an easy way in to her music 

Actually can't think of even a not so good record that she has made

i understand she has re recorded this record and will be releasing it soon

not sure if that is a good idea because this is a great record as is

luc.jpg

• Like 1

Steve Earle another great writer and like Lucinda Williams plays country music with an electric guitar

Has made o lot of records not all as good as these 2 but even at his worst still good to listen to

steve.jpg

steve 2.jpg

Thes 2 records are close to my favourite of the last 20 years 

A collection of players from a bloodshot records  singing murder ballads from the last 100 years

a very wide variety of singers and a good example of semi famous and unheard of performers 

highly recommended

i remember some of them from the top 40 in the 60's

pine1.jpg

pine2.jpg

14 hours ago, powerav said:

more to come

• Like 1

On the subject of great writers i don't mean in the sense of Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen who write songs with multiple layers of meaning and sometimes require more intelligence than i have to fully understand all the ins and outs of the songs

These country singers write character driven songs about different people they meet, busted love affairs of their own, drinking problems hard luck stories or in short life itself often with small insights into the human condition that anyone can connect with

And this is another one 

Rodney Crowell whose records since about 2000 have gotten better and better

The Houston Kid is about growing up in Houston has a great tribute to Johnny Cash's song I Walk The Line complete with a Johnny Cash vocal

Well worth listening to just as a song 

JC was his ex father in law

rod 1.jpg

rod 2.jpg

Gram Parsons is like the godfather of the alt country or Americana scene and my first experience with pure country music

His 2 solo albums used be $10 for a 2 for one at JB and still may be 

The first appearance of Emmylou as we know her on record 

sublime duets broken hearted singing and a wasted life surrendered to heroin at 26

very close to Keith Richards and began hanging out with him at the time of the Stone's 4 great records ending with Exile On Main Street

gram.jpg

Sweetheart Of The Radio is the album the Byrds recorded wafter Gram Parsons joins and is seen as the first collision between country music and the young rock n roll dopers of the 60's

An essential part of country music history but even more importantly a great record in its own right

Parson's vocals were scrubbed from the original because of record company problems and most of the singing is Roger McGuinn which doesnt detract fron the songs in anyway

Buy the new ads with his vocals restored as extra tracks

And The Flying Burrito Brothers but only the first record 

The Gilded Palace Of Sin with iconic cover and a name that pretty much sums up everything that country music is about

Also contains Sin City which is one of my favourite songs of all time

byrds.jpg

fb.jpg

@keyse1  ........ I can't say I can always agree with your political comments in other topics/threads .......... but there is no disputing your impeccable taste in music ...... :party:party:)

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Lucinda Williams one of America's great writers with a great voice can sing pure broken hearted songs or electrified rock n roll

no disguising the emotions either way

with Emmylou and Gillian Welch one of the very best of American music

this is a great record and an easy way in to her music 

Actually can't think of even a not so good record that she has made

i understand she has re recorded this record and will be releasing it soon

not sure if that is a good idea because this is a great record as is

luc.jpg

Hi @keyse1, as you are aware, I'm a Lucinda tragic and oddly or not, I've had her albums backed up and playing on shuffle all afternoon...............Car Wheels, Essence, Sweet Old  World [the one you freatured], World Without Tears, Lucinda Williams [ST] and West. I've always said she is an acquired taste, but can recommend all those albums to anyone who hasn't experienced her music.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

I agree with that this type of music is an acquired taste but also a learned by listening taste

so to speak

if you like one person eg Lucinda Williams you are likely to like a whole lot of other singers

just hard to get someone to listen beyond a singer or band they have gotten to like

so much great Americana and LW is right up the top

i love the electricity of the guitars with her sometimes slurred sad vocals over the top especially World Without Tears

have seen her live many times going right back including a singer songwriter song swap with Roseanne Cash and Mary Chapin Carpenter

2 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Right at the bottom of that article is song by Sean Rowe 

seriously good

Sean Rowe is excellent. I have the "Salesman and the Shark " album and it gets played all the time.

A very original artist.

• Like 1

(:sarc: disclaimer. This post is just for fun and no intention to offend or be disrespectful)

I thought alternative-country would refer to the type of music sang in the following video (:sorry:)

Not Americana ........... but a hell of a good driving song ...... a lot better than that U2 dirge ..... :) ............. crank it up and sing out loud ............ as Susanna Clark wrote ........... sing like you don't need the money .... :)

It is on this ............. https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dirt-Music-Music-For-A-Novel-By-Tim-Winton/release/5598627

Edited by Ancientflatulence

From a tribute record for Alejandro Escovedo because the American Heath system bankrupts people

Howie Gelb and a whole host of Americana players helping out with the cost of recovering from Hep c I think from memory

IMG_0210.JPG

• Like 1

Well, if GP and the Burritos get a guernsey, and all things Americana are fair game, then we should oughta pay a lot of attention to The Band.  Not so very many songs over their 67-early 70s heyday, but what songs they were!  And the three voices - Richard Manuel, Rick Danko, Levon Helm - all so distinct and yet each so beautiful.  And boy, could those guys play!

On the other hand, my guilty pleasures include Charlie Rich, Marty Robbins and Tammy Wynette, so you probably shouldn't pay too much attention to anything I might say.

• Like 1

My reading tells me The Band is the genesis of what is now referred to as Americana. The Weight appears to be a well known song. 

The simplest reason that the question is it country?

Alt country? or Americana? Is of some significance is that country music was the music of hillbillies initially and then Hank Williams The Carter Family Marty Robbins Loretta Lynn Tammy Wynette Johnny Cash and countless others that was taken over by awful music in the late 70's but still called country music up to right now

What I see as Americana or Alt Country is a term used to describe the young people who still play the original style of country music but dissociate themseves from what country music has become under the term Americana

Much more complicated than that I'm sure

Country music was a huge influence on rock n so  i think of the Band as a rock n roll band 

The reason Gram Parsons is seen as godfather so to speak of Americana is because he loved and played traditional country music but was part of the Sex drugs and rock n roll generation

His Nudie suits featured Marijuana leaves and qualudes I think

in my opinion nobody in music actually invents things they just steal bits and pieces and then apply them into a " new" way of putting it altogether but he is generally seen as being at the point where country music and rock n roll really collided with country rock being the result

so playing country music as an outsider is where the Current Americana players probably see themseves

playing pure country music seperate from the establishment corporatised music scene that country music now is

A better starting point would be Beggars Banquet Let it Bleed Sticky Fingers and Exile when GP became friends with Keith Richards

there is a great documentary on Netflix which is a brief history of country music from the point of view of the photographers and at the end of the 70's you can see for yourself what it became

• Like 1