Jump to content

Country music or what young people know as Alternative Country or Alt country


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was actually famous in my last year of high school after I recited the entire song of Alice's Rstaurant ( including differing voices and accents when required ) on the way home from a weekend school

Just revisiting this one, Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm. I picked this one up a few years ago at a music sale, think I might have posted something about it before, but can't quite remember when that was.

Can't go wrong with these two for a start                Cheers,   Keith    

15 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

country dvd 001.JPG

country dvd 002.JPG

country dvd 005.JPG

Gee that’s incredible @ray4410

You’ve got it as bad as me?

Doug Sahm even

Have you seen the country music doco on SBS

It is a history of country music over about 100 years made by Ken Burns who also made the civil war and Vietnam War docos 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Gee that’s incredible @ray4410

You’ve got it as bad as me?

Doug Sahm even

Have you seen the country music doco on SBS

It is a history of country music over about 100 years made by Ken Burns who also made the civil war and Vietnam War docos 

 

hi keyse,yes i did see that country doco,great stuff,
have heaps more concert dvds,the live in austin texas concerts are always well recorded and filmed,surprisingly how the hours fly buy when you sit down and have a session with a few little helpers along the way,?love it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, keyse1 said:

Gee that’s incredible @ray4410

You’ve got it as bad as me?

Doug Sahm even

Have you seen the country music doco on SBS

It is a history of country music over about 100 years made by Ken Burns who also made the civil war and Vietnam War docos 

 

 hi keyse,yes i did see that country doco,great stuff,
i have heaps more live concerts,the live from austin texas concerts are always filmed great and recorded really well

R-3404791-1518645573-8777.jpeg.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

download (1).jpg

Willie or Keith

Its a toss up 

Both be around long after cockroaches ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan of country but admit that some tunes can be very appealing.

One of them is from a very obscure record from the 60s. The classic tune gets such a unique treatment providing a melody that will take days to get out of your head.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Hank Williams III- Lovesick, Broke & Driftin'

961609040_images(2).jpeg.53131914b820753cb1ffb6775f6db665.jpeg

Me and this album have become close over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deanB said:

Johnny Cash- Ride This Train

2058209759_images(11).jpeg.81f91377adc14cc8864f2f548fb24b85.jpeg

Do you like all the talking?

Once is enough 

If it’s a CD you can program it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Do you like all the talking?

Once is enough 

If it’s a CD you can program it

This is my first spin, time will tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Country Music’s first superstar 

I think

And a true God of American music

But how bad are these lyrics

1E9DA618-E3FE-464E-AB56-C6A03926EC50.jpeg

32780B0A-33BA-429C-B598-C28CCBF1A708.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

And this

Moanin’ The Blues

The most aptly named record I know of?

And this song pretty much sums up the subject matter of 80% of any song ever written 

Authorship is contested between Hank and a songwriter called Paul Gilley who sold Hank the song rights and drowned at the age of 27

( thank you Wikipedia)

Up there with Johnny Cash’s I Walk The Line as one of country musics greatest songs and a serious piece of art

Cheerful looking Hank on the cover though

image.jpg

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Half a day listening to John Prine

And feeling like an Eagles song

Peaceful and Easy

 

05E5FD39-190B-426A-85FB-0AFA1467A897.jpeg

E6411256-FC44-49FA-B6F6-8D9DF67984DC.jpeg

55C2BC8C-70B0-4283-A29B-1C3F5D2BAC0D.jpeg

A896A56D-5F90-48F0-9A9F-FB4903F70B9F.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

First heard Tom Russell in the 80’s I think 

Really started listening in the last decade

Gets better every time 

This is a great song about riding for Pancho Villa

More on the folk side than country 

B9F14400-A6B6-425D-B014-52C6E9293DD1.jpeg

35F6C036-E40C-4E82-BE99-7F7F48AD24AA.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites


The movie Inside Llewyn Davis is based loosely on Dave Van Ronk

Listening to a Tom Russell song about him

i didn’t realise until this song that TR was around Greenwich Village in the late 60’s

Well worth Tidalling the song

Writes a lot of story songs that are long and interesting for the subject matter

 

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Politics and religion and music

3 of my favourite things

I didn’t realise that every song on Prodigal Son is religious 

Only 3 of which are written by Cooder

The others being gospel or hymns 

I saw Ry Cooder in Vancouver in about 74 or 75 

Much as I loved it I didn’t know as much about what he was doing as I do now

Fortunately I got to see him again a few years ago with Nick Lowe seperate and together 

Wonderful night

C8F1592D-5000-4E07-94E3-39EAEBEDD00E.jpeg

B5958E19-4756-4090-A492-200A7DF0932B.jpeg

27043E36-5AB0-4A99-B893-CDA1F0A027F5.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Politics and religion and music

3 of my favourite things

I didn’t realise that every song on Prodigal Son is religious 

Only 3 of which are written by Cooder

The others being gospel or hymns 

I saw Ry Cooder in Vancouver in about 74 or 75 

Much as I loved it I didn’t know as much about what he was doing as I do now

Fortunately I got to see him again a few years ago with Nick Lowe seperate and together 

Wonderful night

C8F1592D-5000-4E07-94E3-39EAEBEDD00E.jpeg

B5958E19-4756-4090-A492-200A7DF0932B.jpeg

27043E36-5AB0-4A99-B893-CDA1F0A027F5.jpeg

love ry cooder,one hell of a guitarist ,these are a few of my favourite cooder albums. 

220px-ParadiseandLunchalbumcover.png

Mambo_Sinuendo.jpg

Ry_Cooder_-_Chicken_Skin_Music.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticking with Ry Cooder before I go off and watch a cowboy movie

Bought this way back when

I’ve  always had impeccable taste?

Must be all those Rolling Stone magazines 

Or pot

Or sun and surf

Incredible record and cover

The only thing records are good for

Looking at?

 

5A8C4CB4-3403-48B9-A5C4-C4FFC30F72BD.jpeg

45AFC744-CB9E-48FC-BCAF-DEFA17A5444C.jpeg

FF768655-40C0-4E4D-AD96-2BEA4D3CF866.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Fortunately I got to see him again a few years ago with Nick Lowe seperate and together 

Wonderful night

Saw them in Perth a few years ago, 'twas a fantastic night, what a duo

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

love ry cooder,one hell of a guitarist ,these are a few of my favourite cooder albums. 

220px-ParadiseandLunchalbumcover.png

Mambo_Sinuendo.jpg

Ry_Cooder_-_Chicken_Skin_Music.jpg

I’ve got Paradise and Lunch

I might Tidal those other 2

Truly one of America’s great musicians 

Over 50 years and never a bad record as far as I know

You could drop in on any decade with Ry Cooder and hear something even at the worst interesting and get a history lesson in American or world music

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turnthetable said:

Saw them in Perth a few years ago, 'twas a fantastic night, what a duo

Incredible night in Brisbane 

Nick Lowe is a great writer and responsible for a lot of great music from the 70’s with pin rock band  Brinsley Swsrtch to producing Elvis Costello playing with Dave Edmunds and his own killer records

And played in a band with Ry Cooder at some point Called from memory Little Village

Must Tidal that tomorrow 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

I’ve got Paradise and Lunch

I might Tidal those other 2

Truly one of America’s great musicians 

Over 50 years and never a bad record as far as I know

You could drop in on any decade with Ry Cooder and hear something even at the worst interesting and get a history lesson in American or world music 

i recon you will really like the ry cooder+manuel galban album MAMBO SINUENDO keyse ,manuel is cuban and it shows through out the album.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing as good as a Richard Thompson song is a Hank Williams one

With Richard singing 

42056BEB-9015-48EA-AD7B-070D7DEFB6BA.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

just goin down that hillbilly highway,just got the sacd version,happy as a dog with 2?

steve earle 004.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

just goin down that hillbilly highway,just got the sacd version,happy as a dog with 2?

steve earle 004.JPG

Got a two pack habit and a motel tan........

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy Clark, ‎ The Dark.  Sugar Hill Records ( SUG-CD-1070 US 2002.

 

Good evening alt. Country fans, just going through unplayed CDs when I found Tex, Don & Charlie (posted on the other 'channel', as I saw the Cruel Sea on currently spinning) & this Guy Clark. It is a radio station promo copy & has the Sugar Hill album release promo notes, I was intending to add it to discogs, until we had a potential gas leak,  so will try & put a copy of the blurb sheet on here, soonish if anyone is interested?

The Dark (CD, Album) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Guy Clark, ‎ The Dark.  Sugar Hill Records ( SUG-CD-1070 US 2002.

 

Good evening alt. Country fans, just going through unplayed CDs when I found Tex, Don & Charlie (posted on the other 'channel', as I saw the Cruel Sea on currently spinning) & this Guy Clark. It is a radio station promo copy & has the Sugar Hill album release promo notes, I was intending to add it to discogs, until we had a potential gas leak,  so will try & put a copy of the blurb sheet on here, soonish if anyone is interested?

The Dark (CD, Album) album cover

I’ve got a dozen or so of his records going back to the early 70’s

He died a few years ago 

One of the best song writers in America and a mainstay of Texas musicians 

Not familiar with that record but I don’t think he ever made a bad one

Very sad when he died

Put the blurb up

You can buy his first 2 records as a 2 for 1 disc and there is a box set of about 6 I think for the price of one CD of the other early ones

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Filling in for the regular bass player at a gig on Saturday night, so learning a few new ones at the moment including this beauty.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Filling in for the regular bass player at a gig on Saturday night, so learning a few new ones at the moment including this beauty.

 

 

What is the band called?

Mercy Now is one of my favourite records of the last few decades

Camelot Motel from an earlier record is an example of great songwriting and visualises as film noir?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

What is the band called?

Mercy Now is one of my favourite records of the last few decades

Camelot Motel from an earlier record is an example of great songwriting and visualises as film noir?

 

Jose & The Amigos.  Local Dandenong Ranges Bluegrass/Americana outfit.

 

Picked up Mercy Now a couple of years ago, and yes, an instant favourite.  'Your Sister Cried' on that album is also a Fred Eaglesmith composition.

I've gotta get at least one Fred Eaglesmith album in my collection now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

 

Jose & The Amigos.  Local Dandenong Ranges Bluegrass/Americana outfit.

 

Picked up Mercy Now a couple of years ago, and yes, an instant favourite.  'Your Sister Cried' on that album is also a Fred Eaglesmith composition.

I've gotta get at least one Fred Eaglesmith album in my collection now!

Hope to be in Melbourne in the next few months

Ill look them up to see if they are playing anywhere

Ive seen Fred several times in Tamworth Newcastle and Gympie

He is a friend of the Chambers and Bill plays with him and Kasey does songs with him whenever he tours which hasn’t been for a long time

First I ever heard of him Kasey sang Water In The Fuel as an encore back in the 90’s I think at a show in Tweed Heads very early in her solo career

Bill wrote a spoken word letter to Fred about coming out again

Anyway buy any one of the first 6 or so records you can’t go wrong

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Hank III- Damn Right & Rebel Proud

images.jpeg.27f1db90c9754362bf684265f63a2fe1.jpeg

Well, they were nervous about Waylon,

'Cos he had a crooked smile

Edited by deanB
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...