1DBCEAE7-AF69-4909-B5EA-9EA278518856.png

Edited by keyse1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was actually famous in my last year of high school after I recited the entire song of Alice's Rstaurant ( including differing voices and accents when required ) on the way home from a weekend school

Can't go wrong with these two for a start                Cheers,   Keith    

Just revisiting this one, Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm. I picked this one up a few years ago at a music sale, think I might have posted something about it before, but can't quite remember when that was.

Made a switch to George Jones

He stopped loving her today

Often considered the quintessential country song 

Read the words for confirmation ?

I don’t think anyone here would like it

Even I struggle 

But if you’ve read The Old Testament and heard this song you probably know everything worth knowing or that  you need to know??????

image.jpg

F11D83DE-4237-469B-BF4D-BD2F42CB03F1.jpeg

4 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Documentary maker Ken Burns' Country Music series commences on Feb. 15 on SBS.

I bought the dvd

watched about 3 hours so far

very interesting for people who like music even if not country music

• Like 1

I was going to post this on the record lovers site

But it might freak people out?

So put it here out of site so to speak

A friend of ours is bringing her son around 

He loves records

So I’m looking to match the covers with the records and will give him the rest

As bonus a crash course in country music?

No idea what condition they are in but he is young enough not to care

It’s a good introduction to the love of rock n roll as opposed to the love of format?

I love record covers but no love at all for records although sifting through them God the memories of time and place and obsession are almost as real as then 

Bring back the 60’s and 70’s?

In the 70’s I used to take records to parties trying to convince my friends of the virtues of short sharp rock n roll songs but to very limited success as very one was locked into Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin 

Sigh
Real life and cyberspace aren’t  that far removed?

in terms of music taste?

BB1F592A-55BC-4B3A-AFB5-F518F08EE489.jpeg

5CC2774D-2A64-4512-ABF6-492E69047EB8.jpeg

EF4F975F-159D-490C-BC7F-8E0DEDD16A76.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@JukKluk2

bit off topic on the other thread

I googled that show so I don’t think you were listening to country music in its traditional sense

Here is a 22 minute clip of Ken Burns talking about country music

He just made a 16 hour docko on country music

I know there is no requirement to like any specific type of music and nor is it possible to debate someone into liking it

22 minutes is a long time but worth at least listening and if this is what you were hearing and hated well that would be sad

I should also add there was to my knowledge no such thing as country music in Australia during the 80’s in the sense that Ken Burns is talking https://youtu.be/Q66OjqZytzY

On 22/02/2020 at 10:52 PM, keyse1 said:

@JukKluk2

bit off topic on the other thread

I googled that show so I don’t think you were listening to country music in its traditional sense

Here is a 22 minute clip of Ken Burns talking about country music

He just made a 16 hour docko on country music

I know there is no requirement to like any specific type of music and nor is it possible to debate someone into liking it

22 minutes is a long time but worth at least listening and if this is what you were hearing and hated well that would be sad

I should also add there was to my knowledge no such thing as country music in Australia during the 80’s in the sense that Ken Burns is talking https://youtu.be/Q66OjqZytzY

Thanks for that @keyse1 I have watched it through and I have to say that my feelings toward country music remain unchanged, if anything it has confirmed my stance. It felt like an hour of purgatory, to be truthful.

Still, one man's happy is another man's sorrow. We'll agree to differ on this one.

Edited by JukKluk2
10 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Thanks for that @keyse1 I have watched it through and I have to say that my feelings toward country music remain unchanged, if anything it has confirmed my stance. It felt like an hour of purgatory, to be truthful.

Still, one man's happy is another man's sorrow. We'll agree to differ on this one.

That’s ok

I’m glad you watched it

I googled Nick And turns out he’s a marriage celebrant not far from me

Ive heard that type of Australian music 

Ive been to Tamworth and the Gympie Muster both times to see a Canadian called Fred Eaglesmith one of country musics finest writers

The other music I heard there I think of as the soundtrack to hell so to speak?

I started in the early 70’s with Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris The Byrds The Flying Burrito Brothers John Prine Guy Clark and later Steve Earle Johnny Cash Hank Williams and so on 

Country music Is also spread across my favourite Stones records bought at roughly the same time not to mention Dylan

Might have been different though if I’d been subjected to your experience ?

Ah, @keyse1, I’ve never had anyone able to tell me what purgatory is actually like, for any length of time for that matter, but if purgatory is akin to listening to country music, I can’t see that it is going to be all that bad a place!?

I was brought up on Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Patsy Kline, primarily through the ‘60s, but like you, I soon developed a taste for Gram and Emmylou, The Byrd’s too along with John Prine and Lucinda Williams and many more. It’s going to be impossible for me to understand someone having an extreme dislike for the country music genre, but each to their own I guess. I’m not a fan of rap music for instance, so I own very little recorded rap music and I avoid playing it, but I know many audio enthusiasts, family members included, that love rap music, so I would never openly disparage the genre because that would show very little respect for those that actually enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Ah, @keyse1, I’ve never had anyone able to tell me what purgatory is actually like, for any length of time for that matter, but if purgatory is akin to listening to country music, I can’t see that it is going to be all that bad a place!?

I was brought up on Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Patsy Kline, primarily through the ‘60s, but like you, I soon developed a taste for Gram and Emmylou, The Byrd’s too along with John Prine and Lucinda Williams and many more. It’s going to be impossible for me to understand someone having an extreme dislike for the country music genre, but each to their own I guess. I’m not a fan of rap music for instance, so I own very little recorded rap music and I avoid playing it, but I know many audio enthusiasts, family members included, that love rap music, so I would never openly disparage the genre because that would show very little respect for those that actually enjoy it.

Cheers,

Keith

you guys left out one my favourite bands from that era the fabulous AMAZING RHTHYM ACES.

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

you guys left out one my favourite bands from that era the fabulous AMAZING RHTHYM ACES.

Seriously? I mentioned six or seven country artists above, but there would literally be dozens if not hundreds of country artists that I've enjoyed over the last 50 - 60 years of listening to country music. I hope you didn't expect me to try and list them all?:ohmy:

I can't recall when I would have first heard the Amazing Rhythm Aces, but it was probably late '70s or even early '80s and they were a very good country/country rock band indeed. 

Cheers,

Keith

17 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

Seriously? I mentioned six or seven country artists above, but there would literally be dozens if not hundreds of country artists that I've enjoyed over the last 50 - 60 years of listening to country music. I hope you didn't expect me to try and list them all?:ohmy:

I can't recall when I would have first heard the Amazing Rhythm Aces, but it was probably late '70s or even early '80s and they were a very good country/country rock band indeed. 

Cheers,

Keith

how do the hell do you spell rhythm

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Very cheeky post @cheekyboy

A couple decades ago I started reading Dante’s Divine Comedy

probably because of this line in Tangled Up In Blue

Written by an Italian poet(Dante?)

from the 13th century

and every one of them words rang true

and glowed like burnin coal

pourin off every page

like it was written in my soul

Anyway the imagery was so vivid I started dreaming bad dreams

Some time later I was in Tamworth to see Fred Eaglesmith and the music I heard was so bad I started associating it as a soundtrack to Dante’s 7 circles of hell?

my behaviour no longer includes sin because of it?

You should check out Fred seriously great writer

Listen to the first 6 or 7 records

• Like 1
1 hour ago, surprisetech said:

Upcoming shows for Tracy McNeil promoting her new album.

Includes a few regional venues.

https://tracymcneil.com/?page_id=4642

She is very good

is she Canadian married to an Australian musician

You should see Eilen Jewell playing in March 

Probably my favourite singer now and writes great songs

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

how do the hell do you spell rhythm

That is correct, or at least when I went to school it was, but that was a long time ago!!:lol:

Cheers,

Keith

42 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Very cheeky post @cheekyboy

A couple decades ago I started reading Dante’s Divine Comedy

probably because of this line in Tangled Up In Blue

Written by an Italian poet(Dante?)

from the 13th century

and every one of them words rang true

and glowed like burnin coal

pourin off every page

like it was written in my soul

Anyway the imagery was so vivid I started dreaming bad dreams

Some time later I was in Tamworth to see Fred Eaglesmith and the music I heard was so bad I started associating it as a soundtrack to Dante’s 7 circles of hell?

my behaviour no longer includes sin because of it?

You should check out Fred seriously great writer

Listen to the first 6 or 7 records

Well, I think a lot of this purgatory, heaven and hell talk etc is lost on me because these days I'm an old atheist, but brought up a catholic, catholic schools primary and secondary, mass on Sundays and altar boy duties for many years etc etc.  I don't know how profound an effect the writings of Dante would have on me, but I'm prepared to give Fred Eaglesmith a try though and the oldest album on Tidal that I can stream is Lipstick Lies & Gasoline [1997] and I really like the first few tracks so far.:thumb: His first 6 - 7 albums I can't stream, so it's going to be a bit more difficult listening to those.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
Just now, cheekyboy said:

Well, I think a lot of this purgatory, heaven and hell talk etc is lost on me because these days I'm an old atheist, but brought up a catholic, catholic schools primary and secondary, mass on Sundays and alter boy duties for many years etc etc.  I don't know how profound an effect the writings of Dante would have on me, but I'm prepared to give Fred Eaglesmith a try though and the oldest album on Tidal that I can stream is Lipstick Lies & Gasoline [1997] and I really like the first few tracks so far.:thumb: His first 6 - 7 albums I can't stream, so it's going to be a bit more difficult listening to those.

Cheers,

Keith

That is the first one i bought

I saw one of Kasey Chambers first ever solo shows

the encore was Water In The Fuel

Could have heard a pin drop

She talked about Fred 

So I bought the cd

great records as are the ones before and a few afterwards

As a live performer he is a very very funny raconteur 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, keyse1 said:

These ones

The first ones are either unavailable or very expensive to buy

6C086CF8-4BBA-4630-BAF4-CAA87C4BA19B.jpeg

A58DB987-18DF-4512-BEE6-07CE90E4136C.jpeg

2D75619F-9FD9-45EC-B650-F5CB0AC62C24.jpeg

BBCBE9F4-5BD8-4297-AD9D-A0A59753C8BA.jpeg

Yep, Drive In Movie is not available, but I have the other three saved to my playlist, so will probably settle back and have an afternoon with Fred now.:) I'm just listening to Cha Cha Cha which at first I was reluctant to include, but it is pretty bloody good so far. I also have 50 Odd Dollars, Ralph's Last Show [Live], Tinderbox, Standard, Things Is Ghangin' and Milly's Cafe to get through too, so thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

She is very good

is she Canadian married to an Australian musician

You should see Eilen Jewell playing in March 

Probably my favourite singer now and writes great songs

Yes, she was interviewed on 3MDR last Friday (link below).  Said she had heard about the Melbourne scene, so came for 10 months to study, but has stayed for over 10 years.

I joined her Pozible campaign for the new album which got me a 24/48 download and a CD of 'Room Where She Lives'.

Would love to see Eilen Jewell, she's doing 5 shows around Melbourne, but it's the week before we move house, so can't make too many plans just yet.

I will be seeing the Whitetop Mountaineers at the Ferntree Gully Bowling Club on the 24th.  I pass the venue on my way home from work, so that's a no-brainer.

http://programs.3mdr.com/breakfast-with-clint-and-cathy/2020-02-21

• Like 1
2 hours ago, keyse1 said:

That is the first one i bought

I saw one of Kasey Chambers first ever solo shows

the encore was Water In The Fuel

Could have heard a pin drop

She talked about Fred 

So I bought the cd

great records as are the ones before and a few afterwards

As a live performer he is a very very funny raconteur 

That’s the only one I’m a bit familiar with. Which, funnily enough, I discovered via the very beautiful cover of Water in the Fuel Kasey included on a bonus disc I got with her The Captain release around 2000ish (really, it’s the only track of hers that I still listen to occasionally).

Excellent song but the rest of the album never really grabbed me the way that one song did

15 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

That’s the only one I’m a bit familiar with. Which, funnily enough, I discovered via the very beautiful cover of Water in the Fuel Kasey included on a bonus disc I got with her The Captain release around 2000ish (really, it’s the only track of hers that I still listen to occasionally).

Excellent song but the rest of the album never really grabbed me the way that one song did

I liked the first 3 but after that I think she lost sight of country music 

Seemed to be different styles that her voice is not suited to and actually recorded one song with the Powderfinger singer and he can’t sing rock n roll let alone country

She did make 2 great records with Shane Nicholson 

Her father Bill is a great musician and both of them are good friends with Fred

I think he stays with them when he ours here

Lipstick Lies and Gasoline is a great record 

12 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

I liked the first 3 but after that I think she lost sight of country music 

Seemed to be different styles that her voice is not suited to and actually recorded one song with the Powderfinger singer and he can’t sing rock n roll let alone country

She did make 2 great records with Shane Nicholson 

Her father Bill is a great musician and both of them are good friends with Fred

I think he stays with them when he ours here

Lipstick Lies and Gasoline is a great record 

I got rattling bones with Shane but there were only one or two tracks I liked. I also have some of the earlier dead ringer band stuff With Bill but it’s not really my style. I kind of drifted away from that sort of country after that.

agreed about Powderfinger. Never really saw the appeal :D 

2 hours ago, turnthetable said:

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle be Unbroken volume 2

image.jpeg.b2149ffee0b5b2b5be5f45a4db341d4e.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great records

Johnny Cash song on vol2 Tears on the Holston River is beautifully written about the death of Maybele Carter

one of my favourite songs of all time

google the words if they sent on the record

• Like 2
4 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Great records

First time listen and was going to post in currently streaming but thought here was a better fit.

Only got to listen to Vol 2, what an awesome album, chockablock with talented muso's (not a bad thing).

Levon Helm, Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, John Prine, Bela Fleck to name just a few.

Would love to own this on LP but probably more realistic on CD

4 hours ago, keyse1 said:

google the words if they sent on the record

I will ?

12 minutes ago, turnthetable said:

First time listen and was going to post in currently streaming but thought here was a better fit.

Only got to listen to Vol 2, what an awesome album, chockablock with talented muso's (not a bad thing).

Levon Helm, Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, John Prine, Bela Fleck to name just a few.

Would love to own this on LP but probably more realistic on CD

I will ?

Vol 1 is a truly Great record

Well worth reading the reason for that 

Some of America’s finest musicians from the 40’s 50’s and 60’s

Vol 1 is one of the best records in terms of the cover when I bought it at the time 
Check out Ken Burn’s History of country music on SBS Saturday night I think

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 2

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Volume III. Capitol Records ‎ 7243-5-40177-0-8, CD, Australia, 2002.

Continuing the theme above, great project by the NGDB. They got the timing right, so many of the greats have left the building now.  

Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Volume III (CD) album cover

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters
9 hours ago, keyse1 said:

Check out Ken Burn’s History of country music on SBS Saturday night I think

Glad you mentioned that, I watch little if any TV these days, but read the review in the paper & was going to drop a line on this thread. I recently omitted mentioning on the jazz thread that an OZ great was touring, as there was no interest when i posted one of his earlier albums. Fortunately another SNAer did & there was a big flurry of interest, so you never can tell!

• Like 1

You can’t beat country music

One of my favourite songs in any genre 

Google the song and you will discover a hundred thousand words in explanation of the songs meaning

Of course Gods in there?

Wouldnt be country music if he wasn’t ?

92E3E96C-F218-42C5-B36D-780B5653E305.jpeg

024995FA-A23D-4300-868F-FE105A6E9B0B.png

Still on cds

Up and down like a tired yo yo

Gram Parsons and Emmylou 

My first experience of country music on records I bought

741D02A7-BB3E-43CA-9313-51E84B614A11.jpeg

EA802D77-24EF-4D6E-9227-71E691CC6C7F.jpeg

038C9AE9-3A2F-46F1-9B88-AF6C292352CC.jpeg

82EC0E90-803C-41F8-85FB-219B947F2896.jpeg

914F10DD-BFEB-4048-87D9-1D2DDDC4671C.jpeg

9B1A679C-C0D8-4555-A092-36558E6EE3C1.jpeg

• Like 1

Listening to this

Still stuck on CDs 

Up and down up and and down

Cant get no rest

Thank God I don’t suffer with a record player

One of my many favourite records in any genre

Duets with Willie Waylon and Townes

sublime singing and with those 3 great writers great songs

C7E74AAA-BF63-4F1F-BDCD-F2019C3E6D49.jpeg

6B65DE59-6E11-4538-9769-947D9C71DF69.jpeg

9EDC7264-25BA-46AD-91E2-905E51D521FB.jpeg

4EC5A97C-259A-4F15-9AA5-3FDE66570CD1.jpeg

36FC5D64-7C92-4A79-B550-BCE80B2C9F65.jpeg

• Like 1

Sweet Jane by the Velvet Underground and Love And Affection by Joan Armatrading  joined  as one song by a trio I think

Well worth the few minutes to listen

Actually a great record with a very funny song about birth control and beer

629BDF71-5FBE-44ED-B609-D9DFFB09B2D5.jpeg

Lots of great records for cruising down the road

But this is the best

Halfway probably the next best

Country rock n roll so to speak

Listening to Trucking

And Thinking about my new truck

Bought In Lismore 

Almost locally

Like the ? 

BFF12E6C-CD85-4AE5-8D88-6850231540DE.jpeg

E7CCD833-7F69-4BA6-9E6A-246ED9B9055E.jpeg

720B926F-A6CC-4CF8-B742-A2B21FF7369C.jpeg

9FF0E46D-DCDA-424E-BE6D-DE2D21A11566.jpeg

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=2ahUKEwj01c-N56roAhWaaCsKHXq-A-EQFjAMegQIAhAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fartsites.ucsc.edu%2FGDead%2FAGDL%2Fripple.html&usg=AOvVaw2NNPlTpqWnmzeWvF0jt43N

One of my favourite songs

Ripple

Google the above for a detailed breakdown of the songs meaning

A few different layers of meaning but is a stand alone beautiful song 

Perfectly sung by the writer Robert Hunter words Jerry Garcia music and beautifully played by the Dead

image.jpg