Country music or what young people know as Alternative Country or Alt country

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

Halfway ‎– The Golden Halfway Record (The Seconds And The Sky) - excellent alt country from the Brissy band back in 2016

t45hqpc.jpg

I have this, very enjoyable. I bought it on a subscription from the band and the condition was crap sadly, bacon frying  on several tracks and fingerprints where it had been slid into it's  PAPER  sleeve. When will they learn?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Luc said:

I have this, very enjoyable. I bought it on a subscription from the band and the condition was crap sadly, bacon frying  on several tracks and fingerprints where it had been slid into it's  PAPER  sleeve. When will they learn?

Yea, pressing is average - cleaned it prolly 20 times  -  side one is pretty good, side 2 a bit noisier.

55 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Yea, pressing is average - cleaned it prolly 20 times  -  side one is pretty good, side 2 a bit noisier.

Yeah, that kind of sums it up Shane and it's a shame because it really is a smashing album, they're a a talented experienced bunch. I'd like to get a good pressing as everytime I pick it up I'm sorta; Yeah...nah.

• Like 1

So good to be back in my very own rock roll Hall Of Fame and my most prized possession 

the imac and the graphics 

Been too hot

So much better than that excretable Rolling Stone one 

Where Record sales and dull lifeless music are a pre requisite for entry

Or so it seems to me?

I mightn’t have the memorabilia but I’ve got the heart and soul of it along with the kings and queens of country music?

Like Steve Earle 

Think I’ve got every record since he got out of jail in the early 90’s

Politics country music and electric guitars

even a funeral song

How could anyone not like it

image.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve owned this for decades 

Probably since the seventies

Now it’s up on the wall (where records belong) as part of the Hall Of Fame?

Tom Paxton was a 60’s folkie in Greenwich Village and this was his first ever record

Some of the songs are dated but 3 of them 

Ramblin Boy ,The Last Thing On My Mind and Can’t Help But Wonder Where I’m Bound will be sung as long as people play music

Also a great song about Cisco Houston a travelling with Woody Guthrie left wing folkie 

I guess playing all those protest songs has worked removing  you know who?

I think I’ll keep listening to them though

There’s more removals needed?

image.jpg

6FF764A5-9C11-416C-BEA5-FB14E09462FA.jpeg

• Like 2

Old Man Luedecke - Tender Is The Night

A 2012 CD by Canadian singer / songwriter Chris Luedecke. This one has been sitting in my 'to be played' pile for quite some time, only just got around to having a listen. Its quite an enjoyable collection of songs. Along with Chris Luedecke on vocals, banjo and guitar, there is Tim O'Brien on vocals, mandolin, fiddle, bouzouki and guitars (I have one of his albums somewhere), Mike Bub on bass and Kenny Malone on percussion.

I think this is one of many CDs I bought from Rev Music (now closed) over the years. The owner, Greg, used to get a lot of CDs in on consignment usually at fairly cheap prices and generally in pretty good condition. (I miss that shop.)

PS: Its worth checking out some of his live acoustic videos on YouTube, some recorded at his home in Nova Scotia. Very simple and very good. Just click on some of the links at the end of the videos I posted below.

61Ez86HByxL._AC_.jpg

The Tortoise & The Hare

Tender Is The Night

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, emesbee said:

Old Man Luedecke - Tender Is The Night

A 2012 CD by Canadian singer / songwriter Chris Luedecke. This one has been sitting in my 'to be played' pile for quite some time, only just got around to having a listen. Its quite an enjoyable collection of songs. Along with Chris Luedecke on vocals, banjo and guitar, there is Tim O'Brien on vocals, mandolin, fiddle, bouzouki and guitars (I have one of his albums somewhere), Mike Bub on bass and Kenny Malone on percussion.

I think this is one of many CDs I bought from Rev Music (now closed) over the years. The owner, Greg, used to get a lot of CDs in on consignment usually at fairly cheap prices and generally in pretty good condition. (I miss that shop.)

PS: Its worth checking out some of his live acoustic videos on YouTube, some recorded at his home in Nova Scotia. Very simple and very good. Just click on some of the links at the end of the videos I posted below.

Bought that CD from the man himself.  He has toured here with a band (which didn't include Tim O'Brien of course!)

Had the pleasure of seeing him twice.  Once at one of the Bluegrass festivals and while he was here for that, he was happy to trek out to Upwey and play at the monthly Mountain Pickers Club night.  Puts on a great show.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, surprisetech said:

Bought that CD from the man himself.  He has toured here with a band (which didn't include Tim O'Brien of course!)

Had the pleasure of seeing him twice.  Once at one of the Bluegrass festivals and while he was here for that, he was happy to trek out to Upwey and play at the monthly Mountain Pickers Club night.  Puts on a great show.

Good to hear that. I have only really just discovered him (despite having that CD lying around for a long time). What you say probably doesn't surprise me, just based on the few videos I've looked at so far. Would certainly like to see him perform live.

• Like 1

posted this same album(page 19) bought it new as an import from keith glass when he had deep south records in union st just off nepean hwy many years ago,it is still one of my all time favourite album's and still gets played regularly+++++++ and yes the band is just full of class players and backup singer's.

• Like 1

Listening to John Prine

Well

What else would you listen to while waiting to head down to the cafe for a malted milk

Wonderful record of duets with women on this collection of country music weeping in to your beer songs

Topped off with a solo performance of a Hank Williams piece of maudlin writing under the guise of Luke The Drifter 

If there is a parallel life I can just imagine Hank Williams and John Prine singing along together 

986C5492-FE57-4C29-8C62-2BA6C4ED0031.jpeg

• Like 2

On 26/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, jimbobbity said:

Picked up a nice promo copy of an old favourite today. Sounds very good which is not surprising when you look at the lineup.

84623863-48C1-4581-9C5A-3DCCF7DB6541.jpeg

888B8C21-2B31-4F50-8632-55E1E05C3A72.jpeg

Have a listen to the 2 records that Emmylou and Rodney Crowell made as a duo in the last decade

Seriously great music

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 4:50 PM, keyse1 said:

Scroll back through the thread

Spotify is good for listening before you buy anything

Dont listen to too many at once and spend a bit of time listening because not all these records are easy to get at first 

But are well worth the time

Any record by Brisbane band Halfway often on the country side of rock n roll and more recently on the rock n roll side of country

GP by Gram Parsons sings with Emmylou and Grievous Angel by Gram Parsons with Emmylou

The Gilded Palace Of Sin Flying Burrito Brothers

Soul Journey by Gillian Welch 

West Texas Heaven by Kimmie Rhodes

Eilen Jewell my personal favourite although you need repeated listening great singer and writer Anything except her last record which is blues songs

Southeastern by Jason Isbell

2 years later

Did you ever listen to any of them

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the Woody song in the car this morning First it was a book

Then it was a movie

Then one of the characters became a song

Then another song

Then it got updated by Tom Morrello 

And in a hundred odd years it never loses its immediacy of injustice unfairness and the downright ugliness and abuse of power and wealth 

D724DCA3-59C6-485E-AECE-C05E7E21362B.jpeg

9721121F-DCE3-433C-BF73-8C99D93BAAD3.jpeg

07CC935A-151E-43B7-AF45-ACAD59CF7CF1.jpeg

46EE2215-3CC4-4A59-AF66-EBF5C0E1ED56.jpeg

123D6EDA-02CF-41CC-A780-631DE270EE84.png

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I playlisted Justin’s original versions with Steve’s covers

I don’t think Steve’s versions are better or in some cases as good but it’s a fitting tribute to his son

And as a stand alone record it is seriously good with a killer band and Steve’s gravelly vocals

58B9E6EA-4041-4B19-89BA-51A17ACC9A17.jpeg

• Like 1

Just revisiting this one, Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm. I picked this one up a few years ago at a music sale, think I might have posted something about it before, but can't quite remember when that was.

Levon Helm was in remission from throat cancer when he recorded this in 2007. Co-produced by his daughter Amy, who also sings and plays mandolin and percussion on some of the songs. Its good down to earth no nonsense stuff.

I currently have an order placed for his 2010 follow up album Electric Dirt. Both albums were well received at the time.

Sadly, his cancer returned, and he passed away in 2012.

R-3140080-1317626934.jpeg.jpg

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 6